PDA

View Full Version : How important is third row seating?

firsttimemama
01-11-2010, 08:09 PM
We're in the market for a new car. We have 1 DC and will probably have 1 more. Friends tell me that I need to consider carpooling needs (!) when choosing this car. Do you find that having 3rd row seating is really important?
I'm considering the Mazda5, because it's about the only thing I've seen online that has 3rd row seating that I feel like maybe I can actually drive (I'm a small-car girl). We're test driving one tomorrow.
Do I need to try to install the Boulevard in it before buying it? Do you guys do that? I have read online that Marathons fit well..

Any more thoughts or recs?

schrocat
01-11-2010, 08:21 PM
I have a Mazda 5 with a Marathon rear-facing behind the driver's seat and a Nautilus forward facing. Love my Mazda 5. The only problem is that getting into the third row when we need to use it can be tricky and when the third row seats are down, you don't get much haulage capacity.

Tondi G
01-11-2010, 08:26 PM
I have an 8 year old and a 4 year old and we are using our 3rd row A LOT these days. If each of them want to bring a friend to the movies we need that 3rd row! Our friends have a Mazda 5 and love it. they have 3 kiddos and are planning on having a 4th but didn't want a huge suv or minivan.

I have a Dodge Durango right now (it's huge) and we are thinking that when the time comes to get something new we are going to look at the Mazda CX9. My DH has a CX7 now and loves it! Mazda's are great cars.

ohiomom1121
01-11-2010, 08:49 PM
We looked at 3rd row cars when I was pregnant with my first and thought we didn't need it...now I wish we had. A preschool mom asked if I could pick up her daughter one day for school so she could attend a field trip and I can't fit another car seat in my car (SUV). Plus when my parents and I go somewhere with the kids we either drive 2 cars or I squeeze in between the two car seats. There are definitely times it would be nice.

Laurel
01-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Lots of small SUVs have an optional third row that converts to cargo space. If you don't want a minivan, this is a nice option. We use our third row a few times a month for carpool-type needs. It's pretty nice to have as an option.

ourbabygirl
01-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Yeah, we only have one DC as of now, but the new car we're getting has a 3rd row (we also did a 'bench' in the middle row, versus captain's chairs). I figured that car pooling and such could be an issue later, especially since we hope to keep this car (it'll be mine) for at least 7 years. We may very well keep the 3rd row down until we need it, but since so many SUVS have them these days, I figured why not get it?

newg
01-11-2010, 09:24 PM
I wish my car had a third row..........toyota 4 runner...........we're going to have two carseats soon and that will really limit who can jump in the car with us............though hard to get to, the third row would be a nice option for extra people.

codex57
01-11-2010, 09:30 PM
3rd row is super convenient imo. Better to have it than not.

We made some very expensive underestimations of how much space kids take up.

I started with a BMW 325Ci (2 door). Wanted a 2 door while I was young enough to still look cool in it. Picked the BMW b/c it's one of the most practical 2 doors. It's classified as a 2 door sedan cuz the backseat is so roomy. I knew ppl put car seats back there so I thought I was good. DW had a Camry at the time.

Well, we got married and bought a house. Can't haul much home/garden stuff in a coupe and sedan it turns out. The kicker was when we had to put a hose reel in the front seat of the BMW b/c a 2 door has a bigger side door to fit it.

Decided we needed something bigger. DW wanted a truck over a suv (she was super anti-minivan at the time) b/c we could just throw crap in the bed without having to worry about damaging the interior. Got the Ridgeline to replace the Camry since the Camry was old and cuz it has a trunk so I thought we'd be ok when we had kids.

It was ok, but the trunks of both cars weren't that big when you throw a stroller in it. Plus, after we had DS, we discovered an infant seat didn't fit in the back seat of the BMW. It fits in the sedan, but not the coupe.

Had to sell the BMW early. Got the Lexus sedan instead of the suv like DW has wanted cuz we already had the truck and didn't want both cars to have bad gas mileage.

This was fine for just 1 kid. However, now we have DD. Things are pretty tight in the Lexus while the trunk is getting too small in the truck. Plus, when we have my parents over, we ran out of seats now that there are two kids.

We're now gonna get rid of the truck when the new Sienna comes out. Just need that 3rd row (DW overcame her anti-minivan prejudice after we rented one in hawaii and discovered how nice it was to have 3 rows when u have kids).

firsttimemama
01-11-2010, 09:32 PM
It's kind of a strange position to be in but before I've even shopped I think I've settled on the Mazda5 (so, I hope I like it?) The SUVs with 3rd rows look huuuuuge to me.. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to drive them. I'm coming from a Honda Accord.

Does anyone have any other recs with a 3rd row similar in size to the Mazda5? I guess *maybe* I'll try test driving the mazda SUVs while we are there (I seriously find it scary. Yes, I am a nervous driver.)

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2010, 09:33 PM
I want a Mazda 5 because it is so compact but has that 3rd row. I want it to be able to carpool. Now, I am unable to and it really isn't that big of a deal that I can't do it. But, it would be nice. So, when my Civic dies I want a Mazda 5 (or whatever other car might be on the market that is compact but can hold extra people). For day to day life though, even for traveling, our family of 4 does just fine in the Civic though.

Beth

MamaMolly
01-11-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm also a small car girl and we just traded our Rav-4 in for a Pilot and I l:heartbeat:ve it. I was really scared of driving such a big car but it is so, so nice. We have a basic model and even still the driver's side has an electric seat that I can raise and lower. When DD2 arrives it will be so nice to be able to tote visitors around and not have to squish. So just don't rule out big 3 seaters, I guess is what I'm saying ;).

sariana
01-12-2010, 12:47 AM
I used to have a Honda Accord and always have preferred smaller vehicles. But for the last 2 years I have been driving a Mazda CX-9 (7 passenger vehicle), and I really like it. It drives like a car but has lots of cargo space and a real, usable 3rd row (for children or short(er) adults).

No, it's not small, but I have found that I don't mind. So I would recommend that you try some larger vehicles even if you think you want something smaller. You might find that they are more comfortable to drive than you realized.

tiapam
01-12-2010, 02:29 AM
It's kind of a strange position to be in but before I've even shopped I think I've settled on the Mazda5 (so, I hope I like it?) The SUVs with 3rd rows look huuuuuge to me.. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to drive them. I'm coming from a Honda Accord.

Does anyone have any other recs with a 3rd row similar in size to the Mazda5? I guess *maybe* I'll try test driving the mazda SUVs while we are there (I seriously find it scary. Yes, I am a nervous driver.)

We looked at the Mazda5 but it was cramped for my tall DH. And it still seemed too small to me. The third row is very tight and the cargo room was small. We got a used 2005 Mazda MPV that is perfect for us. It is a little smaller than most minivans, both in width and length. They don't make it anymore which is a shame, it's just enough room. It handles more like a car to me.

nfowife
01-12-2010, 02:45 AM
We have 2 kids and I drive the Honda Odyssey. I love it. It isn't as big as you might think- I'd give some bigger minivans a try. The back row fits adults or kids just fine, there's the extra seat in the middle that you can take out (when in, the van seats 8), and I love all the thoughtful "extras" like the window shades, movable captain's chairs, etc. Plus I like how easy it is to fold the 3rd row- it's a snap. We just went on a week-long trip to Germany (drove from Italy) over Xmas and there were 4 adults, the 2 kids, and all our winter gear plus stroller in the back with no problems!

egoldber
01-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Well, I'll be the voice of dissent. We recently downsized from a van to a wagon for me. When I was a SAHM, I needed the space more and was occasionally carpooling. Now that I work full time out of the home, I never carpool and am really only picking my kids up from daycare/after care.

It's a little inconvenient in that when we have family in town, we now need to take two cars, but it was worth it to us. I got a very nice wagon for much less than the price of a van. We added a roof rack and I now have as much cargo space as I had in the van

I also really appreciate driving a smaller vehicle. The van is big. You'll note the side dings in many, many vans and SUVs. Anytime you drive a vehicle that big, it's more prone to getting knocked by other car doors, etc.

For 2 kids, not infant, and us, I just don't feel the need for anything bigger anymore. And my gas mileage is soooooo astronomically better.

GaPeach_in_Ca
01-12-2010, 01:10 PM
I also really appreciate driving a smaller vehicle. The van is big. You'll note the side dings in many, many vans and SUVs. Anytime you drive a vehicle that big, it's more prone to getting knocked by other car doors, etc.

For 2 kids, not infant, and us, I just don't feel the need for anything bigger anymore. And my gas mileage is soooooo astronomically better.

That's why I have a Mazda5. It's car sized, but we have the option of carrying friends/grandparents when needed. For everyday, I have the 3rd row down, but pop it up when needed (driving co-workers to lunch, grandparents in town, going somewhere with adult single friends).

kransden
01-12-2010, 01:35 PM
I got my Hyundai Santa Fe with the optional 3rd row in Nov. I just love it. It is the same size as our old Altima in length. It is perfect for our small family, but I can put dd in the back when family comes to visit.

newg
01-12-2010, 02:24 PM
I would test drive a few different suv's before you make up your mind..........try to find some that have car chasies (sp?) instead of truck chasies..........my suv has a truck frame, so it drives more like a truck............there are other suvs have have car frames, so they handle more like a car............you may find you are comfortable in a larger suv with a car frame.

AnnieW625
01-12-2010, 02:33 PM
It wasn't that big of a deal for us, but we got a really good deal on our car that just happened to come with a third row seat. I have only used it once, but can see maybe using it a few times once DD is out of a high back booster. I'd hate to have to install a high back or car seat in there, but could because there is a top tether:). We have a 2006 Honda Pilot. If I wasn't able to get the price I wanted on that model I would've gotten the model below and not sweated not having a third row seat. Our second car is a 2001 Corolla and while it's small it does do it's job for our family of 3, and soon to be family of 4. We'll most likely get another car the same size or maybe a little bit bigger like a wagon to replace it when the time comes, but do prefer at least one smaller car so we aren't driving two les than 25 mpg cars.

hanaum02
01-12-2010, 02:43 PM

We're in the same situation - have 2 kids and wanted a 3rd row for carpooling, but won't use it all the time, so didn't want something huge. We bought the Hyundai Santa Fe (with the 3rd row option) and love it!!! Perfect for our needs without being too large.

Michelle
DS 9/04
DD 10/07

alexsmommy
01-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Love having the third row.
Here's what a wise Mama of older kids told me. When they are young, carpooling is nice, but not necessairly necessary. However, once you have two older than K or 1st in very different activities, at different fields or buildings, it's nice not to have to tell a child they "can't" do an activity simply because you can't get him/her back and forth due to conflict and carpooling is much more convenient. It is interesting listening to all the carpooling arrangments being confirmed on the playground in spring for t/soft-ball/soccer/ballet/gymnastics etc. Especially the mom's of three.
I'm a part time WOHM and it's so nice that DS can do just about any activity even if I work because I can usually find someone to get him back and forth on my work days and I just volunteer to do the days I'm home.

maestramommy
01-12-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm really torn on this issue. Dh and I are pretty sure that if we have to replace our cars at some point, it will be a minivan. At the same time if someone had told us way back when it was just Dora that we should thinking about carpooling and a 3rd row, I would've been offended. I don't think I could wrap my brain around the idea of spending a lot more money to get a lot more car than I would usually need. Now, in hindsight, I do think that 3rd row would really add to our lives. We can't even do anyone a favor because we can't fit one more kid in our car. There are times when I would love to offer to pick up my neighbor's kid from school, esp. if I'm going that way already, or when someone in my mom's group is asking to do a sitter swap. And I can't because I don't have room for one more kid, let alone one more carseat. Which means I can't ask any favors either. Rather limiting.

n2ou
01-12-2010, 04:23 PM
How long do you plan on keeping this car?

I feel that the older the kids (mine are 6 and 4), the more size comes into play. At least three carseats across, I could not go smaller.

HTH

Pennylane
01-12-2010, 04:51 PM
I would have a hard time giving up my 3rd row seating. I have a Sienna and I love that I can transport my kids, their friends and tons of other stuff.

Ann

MamaKath
01-12-2010, 11:26 PM
We looked at the Mazda5 but it was cramped for my tall DH. And it still seemed too small to me. The third row is very tight and the cargo room was small. We got a used 2005 Mazda MPV that is perfect for us. It is a little smaller than most minivans, both in width and length. They don't make it anymore which is a shame, it's just enough room. It handles more like a car to me.
We felt the same about the Mazda5. Loved the concept, just didn't work for us in reality!

We ended up with a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan which handles like a car, has very flexible seating options, and would more easily suit an adult needing to sit in any of the back rows. We figured that since we'll have it for awhile, often have grandparents/cousins on longer trips and friends on local trips, and dh and I are on the taller side (our kids are too) it made sense for something to fit adults easily somewhere besides the front.

firsttimemama
01-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Hmm...
Test drove the Mazda 5 tonight. Liked it pretty well. Sat in an Odyssey. Thought there was no way in heck I could drive it. (small car girl)

Sat in Rav4. Didn't like it either. Think we've eliminated SUVs and true minivans (there are *really* minivans that handle like cars? That Odyssey seemed HUGE)

Now I just can't figure out if
1) we should buy the mazda5
2) we should buy another sedan (accord, camry, hybrid?)
3) we should buy DH a small SUV or truck and I keep driving the accord (DH is really pushing for me to get the new vehicle, which he always does, b/c he's a martyr) What he really wants, is a huge SUV, but he commutes, so that's a no go (gas $$)

We will probably keep whatever we buy for 10 years. I think DC #2 might be born when DS is 4 yr old (He is 2 now)

kransden
01-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Really, give the Santa Fe a try. It wasn't even on my radar until a friend forcefully suggested it. Hyundais are much nicer than they used to be.

baymom
01-13-2010, 02:36 AM
I would have a hard time giving up my 3rd row seating. I have a Sienna and I love that I can transport my kids, their friends and tons of other stuff.

Ann

:yeahthat: I have a Sienna and love it for the same reasons. Mine are only 4 and 5, so I'm sure as they get older, it will become even more handy for transporting friends and sports equipment. Plus, it's nice to have when grandparents or other relatives/friends visit from out of town, so that we don't have to take two cars to go out to dinner, ect.

neeter
01-13-2010, 01:39 PM
deleted....

hanaum02
01-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Really, give the Santa Fe a try. It wasn't even on my radar until a friend forcefully suggested it. Hyundais are much nicer than they used to be.

Yes - totally agree!

AnnieW625
01-13-2010, 02:08 PM
3) we should buy DH a small SUV or truck and I keep driving the accord (DH is really pushing for me to get the new vehicle, which he always does, b/c he's a martyr) What he really wants, is a huge SUV, but he commutes, so that's a no go (gas $$)

We will probably keep whatever we buy for 10 years. I think DC #2 might be born when DS is 4 yr old (He is 2 now)

DH would tell your DH just go out and buy a little pick up. DH really regrets not doing this in 06 when we bought our Pilot. We had a large Chevy Silverado then so we didn't see the need, but since we didn't drive it much we sold it and since then DH has been convincing me that our next car needs to be a truck, something like a Nissan Frontier. I keep telling him no if he wants that then we have to sell the Pilot too, and replace his car with a sedan. We don't want to car payments though so he'll be stuck with the Pilot.

mongo
01-20-2010, 06:15 PM
The odyssey has 3rd row seats and from friends I've talked with drives like a car. It also has a V6, if you need it.