PDA

View Full Version : Fleece blanket, static and more - talk me off the ledge!

amldaley
01-11-2010, 09:36 PM
OK, DD suddenly, out of the blue, enjoys snuggling under a blanket. She has never liked one before, so we only have a small, acrylic knit afghan type blanket in her crib which she always kicks off.

I am wondering if the cold sheets, etc, are one of the reasons she is suddenly impossible to get down. So we snuggled under a throw sized fleece blanket on the sofa tonight and listened to soothing music before taking her to bed. It worked like a charm, except...

...I am ridiculous and paranoid.

1) The blanket is a throw size, so much bigger than would be in a crib. She has never gotten tangled up, even in our big bed, but I am totally paranoid....1st time she is sleeping with a blanket! (17 months! - she was swaddled up to 5 months).

2) The blanket is super staticky (is that a word??) and I seem to remember something about babies and fleece pj's and static causing spontaneous fires....ok, I know I am being ridiculous....but could someone just clarify this for me?

DrSally
01-11-2010, 09:40 PM
DS loves his fleece blankies, but you're right, the fleece jammies and fleece blankets cause static electricity "sparks". I've never thought of it starting a fire. He actually doesn't like to lay with them at night b/c they "hurt his eyes", which means that they make shocks. So, I also have a stash of cotton quilts/blankets that he can lay on (he likes to sleep on the floor).

One idea about sheets--have you tried flannel? They also have fleece sheets or chamois. I wonder if a velour type blanket would be less staticky, but still soft?

amldaley
01-11-2010, 09:53 PM
DS loves his fleece blankies, but you're right, the fleece jammies and fleece blankets cause static electricity "sparks". I've never thought of it starting a fire. He actually doesn't like to lay with them at night b/c they "hurt his eyes", which means that they make shocks. So, I also have a stash of cotton quilts/blankets that he can lay on (he likes to sleep on the floor).

One idea about sheets--have you tried flannel? They also have fleece sheets or chamois. I wonder if a velour type blanket would be less staticky, but still soft?

She has a jersey knit sheet on there now...but I was shopping online for fleece a few minutes ago. Flannel might be easier and cheaper.

This fleece blanket throws major sparks...I can totally see what your son is saying!!!

MontrealMum
01-11-2010, 09:57 PM
We don't usually do fleece pjs, but I think the first thing I'd do if I were you (if you don't have one) is get a humidifier in your home for the winter months. It really cuts down on static. Before we started using one, we used to get sparks in our bed (the static kind I mean :loveeyes:) and that was cotton sheets w/cotton pjs.

amldaley
01-11-2010, 10:13 PM
We don't usually do fleece pjs, but I think the first thing I'd do if I were you (if you don't have one) is get a humidifier in your home for the winter months. It really cuts down on static. Before we started using one, we used to get sparks in our bed (the static kind I mean :loveeyes:) and that was cotton sheets w/cotton pjs.

lol...with as difficult as DD has been to get to sleep lately, those may be the only sparks we'll see!!!! It is normally fairly humid here, even through winter, but a humidifier might be a quick and easy fix. Thanks for the tip!

sarahsthreads
01-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Don't know if it's necessarily that she's cold. DD2, who is also a 7/08 baby, has suddenly stopped sleeping. Entirely. Up until sometime last week I could lay her down completely awake and she'd drop off to sleep within five minutes. Now? Not so much. She's fine while I get her ready for bed, and even when I lay her down in the crib, but just as her head hits the pillow she apparently realizes that I'm about to leave and then she stands up and starts crying for me in the most heartbreaking manner. I don't remember this stage with DD1, but I'm betting it's because I blocked it out, not because it didn't happen!

As for blankets, we've let DD2 have a small blankie in her crib since the fall (somewhat bigger & thicker than a receiving blanket, but not much) and added a crib sized quilt in the winter. That was essentially by her request - it had previously been draped over the back of the rocker in her room, and she wouldn't let go of it one naptime. She's been fine with it, I've even seen her pull it back up over herself when I've disturbed her by opening her door a crack to check on her. I'll be the first to admit that I'm probably less paranoid than most when it comes to bedding for toddlers...although rather a lot more paranoid than my friend who has had an adult sized pillow and thick quilt in her baby's crib from day one!

We don't really do fleece (pjs or blankets) so I can't speak to the sparks...

Sarah :)

maydaymommy
01-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Nothing to do with the op, but to pp whose dc just "stopped" sleeping. There is something called the 18 month sleep regression! So you're not alone!

amldaley
01-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Nothing to do with the op, but to pp whose dc just "stopped" sleeping. There is something called the 18 month sleep regression! So you're not alone!

But it IS about my OP because I posted about this in the Sleep Section a few days ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE can we talk about this sleep regression????? Tell me more!!!!

DD is doing the same as above....snuggly and sleepy til she hits the crib and then HEART WRENCHING SCREAMS like she is being abandoned. And she is not sleeping but a couple of hours before she has to be brought to our bed or we wouldn't get any sleep at all.