PDA

View Full Version : Help with stroller!

mushka
01-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Hi Ladies,

This is my first post, but I've been reading this forum for several months and getting great ideas from all of you. I am expecting my first baby on February 14 and I am yet to settle on the stroller. Things have been complicated by my husband who declared that I am allowed to buy only one stroller and one stroller only. He thinks that having more than one stroller (example: jogging, something light for in and out of the car, etc) is ridiculous. So, unless the stroller breaks, I am allowed one stroller for the duration of her childhood. Ridiculous, I know.

So after looking at multiple strollers, there are 2 that I really like and want.

Baby Jogger City Mini and UPPA baby Vista!

How do I even begin to choose between the two!? They are totally different!

BJCM: love that it is light, love the fold, love the look, and it gets great reviews on this forum. However, while trying it out in the store, I was told that I cannot use it with newborn because of not a complete recline and a soft back. I was told that I can start using it at 6 months or get a car seat adopter. Unfortunately, i want to start walking with baby from the start, I and do not want to take baby for walks in a car seat.

UPPA Baby vista: love reversible handle, love that it can be used with newborns. This stroller just seems very versatile. Do not like: price, heavy, not as easy to fold.

What I need the stroller for: daily walks (I live in suburbs), trips to the mall, pediatrician, grandparents, and in and out of the car errands.

Any suggestions? Which stroller to go with? I can't decide!

TwoBees
01-11-2010, 10:12 PM
I, too, was a 1-stroller dreamer. Ha ha. I currently have a Mac easy traveller and will be getting a BJCM (and then maybe a mac triumph or techno or a kekaroo or a...my wish list goes on and on!).

You CAN use a BJCM for a newborn. From the BJ FAQs page:
The City Mini, City Classic and City Elite strollers have an increased recline angle to a near flat position to accommodate newborns. The Summit 360 also has this feature, however, it is for cruising purposes only. Never run or jog with your seat fully reclined. Also, please keep in mind that babies should have ample neck support when placed in the seat of a stroller - you can use a rolled up cloth diaper or any number of neck supports sold at baby stores.

HTH!

MamaMolly
01-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Hi! Welcome to the Boards! There is a pretty good price for the 2009 Vista on www.Albeebaby.com right now, but only in black. I read on another thread that diapers.com might price match and if it is your first order with them they include another 10% off. Hope this helps a little.

My DH is a firm believer that everything baby-gear is pretty much a scam designed to get his $$$. :) I've had really good luck buying things like a *used* folding umbrella stroller for travel for a super steal. I think I spent $6 - $10 on the two I have. Just something to think about for later...

mushka
01-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Thank you so much for your responses! I think that I am obsessing because this is supposed to be "the only stroller". It would be much easier if I had an option of getting something else if needed.
One more concern I have about BJCM: I was on their website and looked at celebrity pictures with BJ strollers. It looks like all those babies are slouching while in strollers. Can that be comfortable for them? I remember my sister as a toddler, and she always wanted to sit strait up.

zag95
01-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Hello-
We have a few strollers - I control the pursestrings- so there aren't any issues!;)

In the beginning- we had a stroller frame with our infant car seat- we got the frame free from a friend.

Then we registered for a Maclaren Quest- which goes to about 55 lbs- it has been great (DD is 23 mos and about 30 lbs- so we have some good use on this!)

Our most recent purchase was last spring- we bought a BJ City Classic in red- we LOVE this- especially for going to the zoo, walking in our neighborhood (the roads are a bit rough, etc)

Here are some thoughts for you:

Is there a stroller frame or similar that you could borrow from a friend?
Are you registering- maybe one of the grandmas or other relative/friend, may go for a big ticket item?
What about craigslist in your area?

I have seen the BJCM- and I think it would be a great all purpose stroller- it has a nice canopy- folds compactly- etc. Remember- the baby won't be sitting totally upright for a while, because they won't have head control, etc. I think the BJCM is a pretty good option- but then again, I am a BJ fan!

GL and congrats!

GraceH
01-12-2010, 12:11 AM
*I* wouldn't want to be taking the heavy Vista in and out of the trunk with my busy suburban errand-running lifestyle. It's been awhile since I looked at the Vista in person, but does it seem like it will fit amongst clothing racks at Kohls on your mall adventures?
Also, I know car seat adapters are discouraged here, but I would seriously consider getting one if you're running suburban errands by car (it's not worth waking a sleeping baby from their car seat in the cold just to run in the store on a 10min trip for milk, bread, and eggs, trust me).
...although I can't give you first-hand experience, those are just a few thoughts from my Graco Mosaic-loving self. Hope it helps!

salsah
01-12-2010, 12:38 AM
would your dh agree to you buying a stroller for the newborn stage and then selling it and buying another for the toddler stage?

the vista is nicer than the bjcm for the newborn stage (because of the bassinet and reversible features) but it isn't a suburban (in and out of the car) stroller. it is great for city living (walk every where). you can get it now, then when you don't need the bassinet and the reversible features (or you get tired of folding it and lifting it in and out of the car each time you need it), you can sell it on craigslist (good strollers have a high resale value) and buy the bjcm.

the bjcm is a great suburban (in and out of the car) stroller. it does recline enough for a newborn so it can be your one and only. there is a way to make the back firmer and more supportive. (if you get it, we can explain how and also suggest accessories like the parent console and snack tray or belly bar.)

if i had to chose just one, i would go with the bjcm.

mushka
01-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Thank you everyone for your replies.

I actually do have a Snap n'Go, which will be used for in and out of the car type of errands while baby fits into her carseat. I guess, until she weighs 22 pounds, the stroller would be used for walks around neighborhood and parks. Once she reaches the weight limit on a car seat, i will need a stroller for in and out of car. BJCM does seem like a better long term stroller. The only thing that is stopping me from buying it right now is all those pictures of slouching kids.

jacksmoma
01-12-2010, 12:07 PM
i have a bjcm and yes babies do slouch in it if they are laying against the back of the seat- get the belly bar so they can hold onto it and sit up straight- problem solved! that's what we did and my son looooved to hold on, even when it was off, he just held himself up on the sides of the seat/stroller, he never minded at all. i had a bugaboo and it was a huge pain to lift into my car and i ended up selling b/c of that....i'm in the so cal suburbs :)

MamaMolly
01-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Once she reaches the weight limit on a car seat, i will need a stroller for in and out of car. .

You might need that other stroller sooner than you think. I didn't realize is how freaking heavy that baby seat gets, wayyyyyy before they reach the weight limit. You've got the weight of the seat plus the weight of a baby dangling off the end of your arm. A snap-n-go is a great option!

arivecchi
01-12-2010, 12:09 PM
If you can only have one stroller, I would get the BJCM or a Mac Techno. The BJCM has the better fold and weighs less, so better for the car than the Vista.

Some other thoughts:

1) If the sidewalks in your neighborhood are a bit rough, you will probably need a stroller with air tires. In that case, I would get something like a BJCC, BJCE, Valco Trimode, Bob and use the snap n' go for mall, errands, etc.

2) Do you have a good baby carrier? If you do, you can use the carrier in the mall, for errands, grocery shopping etc. Good ones can be used for toddlers! (I have an Ergo which is super comfy.)

3) Can you get a more full featured stroller right off the bat (one that fully reclines or comes with a bassinet) and then sell the snap n' go around six months and get a nice but cheap umbrella stroller for the car like the Mac Volo?

One final thought, I only had a Valco Trimode with bassinet at first. It is a heavy stroller to lift, so I let DH lift it in and out of the car. After the second time doing it, he begged me to go out and buy an umbrella stroller for the car. We got a Mac Triumph. You could try that technique. ;)

mushka
01-12-2010, 01:24 PM
You guys are wonderful!:bowdown: Thank you for all the suggestions! I will make my husband read this thread and try to make the decision together. I am tired of him dumping everything on me.

"I left DH lift it in and out of the car. After the second time doing it, he begged me to go out and buy an umbrella stroller for the car. We got a Mac Triumph. You could try that technique. " :bighand:
-- LOL!!! I think this is the best advice!

sweetsoul99
01-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Another thing to consider is what type of car you have. If you have a small sedan, a larger stroller will take up the entire trunk. I also agree with the snap n go at first. that's all you really need for the first 6 months or so. Then you could switch to the bjcm, mac techno, or graco metrolite (these are my preferred multi-purpose do it all strollers, and seem to be recommended requently). Anything with smaller wheels than these wouldn't really do well with heavy outdoor use. These aren't great on anything other than sidewalks, but they work depending on your neighborhood.

Letting DH help in the decision is a great idea! My hubby got so tired of me spending so much time researching strollers, my budget kept going up =) After a while he even seemed to get into it.....a very little bit. Sometimes he'll even point out a fancy stroller to me on the sidewalks.

ebjw
01-12-2010, 06:07 PM
I have used the Vista as my *only stroller and you can do it! I have no issues getting it in and out of the car over and over and over again. I do have minimal issues in tight aisles, but that's the store's fault, not the stroller's! Wait for the 2010 because the full upright position is the only thing I wish I could change.
*only because that is the only one we use- I only used my jogger twice and umbrella twice for travelling (you won't travel with the Vista).
Oh, and once you know how to fold it, it's a piece of cake! I think any stroller is hard to fold until you've done it a dozen times!

PRmommy
01-12-2010, 06:32 PM
I think any stroller is hard to fold until you've done it a dozen times!

Every stroller except the Baby Joggers. ;) I think it's impossible to not get the fold down after the first attempt. :)

AnnieW625
01-12-2010, 06:49 PM
If I was told I could only have one stroller, and walking for everyday use I'd most likely still get the Vista. I love the pseudo air tires, love that it will take a toddler board, it has a bassinet, it is good for walks with toddlers (we've done up to 3 miles with my 3 yr. old toddler), and it's really an easy stroller to push. It's not as light as a regular jogger, but it's a nice substitute if you know you won't be able to afford more than one stroller.

Our other stroller is a Maclaren Triumph and it's great for travel.

taralynn819
01-12-2010, 09:57 PM
I have a feeling Husband will come around (or off) the one-stroller kick. Even I wish there was a stroller that was super light, all-terrain, jogging, umbrella fold, all-features-in-one. I say start with something you think you might use most often (the Baby Bargains book recommends lightweight if you can only afford one), and then a few months from now you will have a better idea of your needs. That's what I'm attempting to do at least!

mushka
01-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Ok, made my husband read this thread. He is taking me to BuyBuyBaby tomorrow to look at both strollers. He made a face, rolled his eyes, etc..., but he is going, it's my birthday and he cannot say no.

lmr1101
01-13-2010, 12:46 AM
My one and only stroller is the Vista and I love it!!! I have a few friends who got the snap and go for their newborns and everytime they see how easily I can get around with mine, they regret their purchase. The wheels on the Vista are so much easier and all of the other features are just great for the errands you will have to run. I do have the car seat adaptor and couldn't have lived without that.
I use the stroller every day in the suburbs and never run into problems.
Plus, I'm a runner and by locking the front wheels this can also become a jogging stroller!
Good luck.

salsah
01-13-2010, 03:50 AM
The only thing that is stopping me from buying it right now is all those pictures of slouching kids.

don't forget that you can put a board in the seat back of bjcm to make it firmer and more supportive.

arivecchi
01-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Ok, made my husband read this thread. He is taking me to BuyBuyBaby tomorrow to look at both strollers. He made a face, rolled his eyes, etc..., but he is going, it's my birthday and he cannot say no. Yay! :bighand: Tell him that if you get nice strollers you can re-sell them on CL for quite a few $$$. I am a big fan of the two stroller combo - a lightweight umbrella for the car, indoors, travel - and an air tire stroller for outdoors. I have a Valco Trimode, a Baby Jogger City Classic Double and a Maclaren Triumph if you have any questions about those strollers. Good luck!

dna_gal
01-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Not to add to your dilemma and please ignore if this isn't helpful-- but my one and only stroller is an Inglesina Zippy. Love it. Super easy one hand fold, fairly light, can be used with infant either directly in stroller or with carseat, large canopy, and lots of accessories (bumper bar, snack tray, cup holder, etc). I didn't even use a snap'n'go, just the Zippy and a carrier (Angelpack).

mushka
01-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi Ladies! I am here with the update.

We went to Buybuybaby yesterday to look at both strollers. My husband loved Uppa baby vista and all the features it has. So, it looks like we will be getting Vista. I will probably order 2010 model from pishposhbaby since I have a 10% off with them.

Once again, thanks so much everyone for your help and advice.

arivecchi
01-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Congrats! :bighand: Hope hubby lets you get another stroller in the future!