PDA

View Full Version : S/O 3rd row seating: Is it safe to put kids back there?

ourbabygirl
01-11-2010, 11:24 PM
So many of the SUVs with 3rd rows don't seem to have much room between that back row and the back window/ door/ trunk area. If you have a vehicle with this, do you worry about putting your kid(s) back there? Do you ever put a kid in a car seat back there? I know they're designed to have people sit back there, but it still frightens me to think of getting rear-ended with my babies back there!

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2010, 11:31 PM
That is one of my hesitations with the Mazda 5 because that 3rd row is right there at the back. I have no answer for you other than I prefer a sedan.

Beth

jenfromnj
01-11-2010, 11:35 PM
I don't have DS's carseat in our 3rd row (easier to have him in the 2nd row so we never even though about it), but friends of ours have triplets, so one of them has to ride in the 3rd row. Not sure if it's ideal, but I know it is definitely done.

ETA: They do have a fairly roomy SUV, so there is still a good deal of room between the third row and the actual back of the vehicle. It would be scarier in a smaller 3-row like a Mazda 5, you're right.

firsttimemama
01-11-2010, 11:55 PM
so you guys wouldn't do it huh? Put a kid in the back of the Mazda5? If I can't, that really kinda ruins it for me - actually based on what I've read, adults are not comfortable in the 3rd row of the Mazda5 - it's almost as if it were designed for kids

GaPeach_in_Ca
01-11-2010, 11:57 PM
so you guys wouldn't do it huh? Put a kid in the back of the Mazda5? If I can't, that really kinda ruins it for me - actually based on what I've read, adults are not comfortable in the 3rd row of the Mazda5 - it's almost as if it were designed for kids

I do whenever we have company. I also find the back seat comfortable (as an adult) for around the town driving, not for roadtrips.

Tondi G
01-12-2010, 12:18 AM

Our friends have 3 kids so they HAVE to put a child in the 3rd row of their Mazda 5. They don't have a problem with it. If they have a 4th child then 2 of their kids will be riding back in the 3rd row. The cargo area provides enough space for their P3 stroller and things they need so they are happy. Honestly is it all that different than having 3 kids packed into a sedan in an accident where you get hit from the side? An accident is an accident... you never know just how things will perform. My DH had what he thought was all kinds of great safety upgrades and when he really needed the side airbags to deploy they didn't. There are crumple zones in cars... specially in the bumpers. I don't think they would make 3rd rows if they were seriously unsafe in an accident. there has to be certain regulations as far as the distance between the bumper and the rear seat etc.

geochick
01-12-2010, 12:24 AM
We have a RAV4 with an optional 3rd row. We only use the 3rd row on occasion (taking the grandparents to the airport, taking an extra kid home from school, etc.). There's still 18" of "trunk space" behind that row...it's not flush against the back wall, but because our side curtain airbags don't extend all the way to the back, I won't use it every day...only occasionally. My RAV4 is an overall safe car, and I love it. I only have 2 kids.

smilequeen
01-12-2010, 12:34 AM
I have a minivan and with number 3 coming, one will end up in the third row. There is a pretty decent amount of space back there though.

I can totally understand the hesitation in a car like a Mazda 5. However, aren't most rear impact accidents relatively minor? In the whole scheme of things, if the car had good frontal and side crash test results, I'd feel pretty good about all of the seats.

rlu
01-12-2010, 01:00 AM
We have an old dodge caravan and we took out the middle row and only use the back (third) row. We did this when we had BBD so we could put his dog bed down for him when we traveled. I enjoyed the feeling of space that gave me (no more kicking my seat!) and we've left it that way. I have a wizard and it seams to have plenty of room between its top and the back window.