PDA

View Full Version : How do you get past a really bad "mommy" day?

purpleeyes
01-11-2010, 11:36 PM
I just had an absolutely horrible, horrible morning with the kiddos today. Lots of me screaming and just acting like a crazy person as we were trying to get out the door and in the car ride. Of course, the kids were yelling/crying, too, but I am the adult! :duh:
Anyway, I feel really really awful about it. We are under a lot of stress right now and I am trying to give them a peaceful, quiet, secure place to be and I did not do that today.

Sooooo, when (if?) you have a day like that, what do you do about it? I apologized, talked about it a bit with DS, and then spent the rest of the day doing calm stuff together, following a routine/schedule. We had a good rest of the day, got some stuff done, spent some time together, had a good dinner, but I can't get the morning out of my mind!

TIA!!

JamiMac
01-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Honestly, I'd let it go. You've apologized and talked about it, and obviously feel badly. We all have days like that and things we regret, but it sounds like you are under a lot of stress and just had a bad day. Don't be too hard on yourself!

LexyLou
01-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Honestly, I'd let it go. You've apologized and talked about it, and obviously feel badly. We all have days like that and things we regret, but it sounds like you are under a lot of stress and just had a bad day. Don't be too hard on yourself!

I agree 100%. I think that by talking to your son about it and apologizing you did the right thing.

Mommies aren't perfect but admiting to that and saying you're sorry, goes a long way.

Get a good night sleep and start fresh tomorrow. :)

egoldber
01-12-2010, 08:06 AM
Yup, let it go. We've all had days like that. I think it's good to model to your kids that you can have a bad day, realize it, apologize and move on.

mumofboys
01-12-2010, 08:28 AM

:yeahthat:
No one is perfect. Take your bad day and turn it into a teachable moment with your kids. Model introspection, sincere apologies, process openly about how that feels...
and then let it go. Every day is a clean slate. A day to start anew and make the very most out of it that you can.
There are times when I go to bed, I can feel the stress of the day releasing from my body and I sigh, "Tomorrow will be a better day."
:22:

jacksmomtobe
01-12-2010, 08:30 AM
I agree that you have to let it go. Unfortunately it happens to everyone you did your best to make up for it by explaining things and then giving your kids a good rest of the day. Obviously every one of us wishes we didn't get to the point/level of screaming and yelling but don't beat yourself up about it.

Melaine
01-12-2010, 09:00 AM
It sounds like you did great by apologizing and working on a calm day. I just try to think how I can avoid that level of frustration next time around. For me, it is usually avoidable by planning ahead so that things go more smoothly (especially when it comes to getting out the door).

infomama
01-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Had one of those the other night. I apologized and kind of hung onto it for a day.I decided to make the focus of last nights yoga class 'patience'. It really helped me let it all slip away and I feel like I can do better next time. Those are hard moments.:hug:

Toba
01-12-2010, 10:02 AM
When this happens in our house, DS gets extra snuggles at bedtime and we talk a little bit about it. I usually apologize (if he really didn't deserve the raised voice) and say even when/if I yell, it's usually because I was upset about something and even when I yell, I still love him more than anyone else. He's really good about that kind of stuff (should say something about how many times I've gone off in a tizzy :( ) and gives me hugs and tells me it's okay, I just had a bad day. He's had days himself where he was just out of control and it's so funny because we'll go in to say goodnight and HE'LL apologize for having bad behavior that day. I think that's where he got the, "it's okay, you just had a bad day ... tomorrow's another day." He's really a good kid.

kedss
01-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi Beth-
I had one of those nights with DS, he's 6, and the next day I worked really hard to have a good day with him, got him off the computer games he loves and worked to have some fun time with him, which is hard since DD goes to bed after him. I try to let go of those bad ones, and try to focus on the good ones- hugs