PDA

View Full Version : What would you do in this situation-1 more question in orig post

jayali
01-12-2010, 09:56 AM
So now that you have all convinced me to go (crazy mommy!). Help me find a dress. The theme is Casa Blanca and the invite says "appropriate black and white attire requested". My husband is going to wear his tux - I think. I need something to wear and really prefer for it not to be sleeveless. Suggest away.

Matthew started a new school this year. They are having a dinner fund raiser in February. It is a cocktail party and silent auction. My husband and I had planned on attending but never thought about who we would sit with. Since this is a new school we don't really know a lot of people - he gets dropped off and picked up on car line so there is not a lot of socializing before or after school. On the back of the invite you are supposed to indicate who you would like to sit with. Until the invitation came I never gave it a thought. Since we are the new kids on the block should we wait to be invited to sit at someones table?There is one family in our town who has been at the school since pre-k so they are pretty established socially. The mom is one of the class moms so she has a lot of interaction with the other families. We get along fine when we see them and our sons seem to be very good friends, but they never engage us socially outside of school. I thought that they would have mentioned us sitting together at the dinner, but they never brought it up. I am so stressed out about this - which is really not my personality. I feel like if we don't get invited to sit with someone then we are getting snubbed - but maybe people don't know if we plan on attending. The only solution I came up with was to buy an entire table and invite our friends, but that seems ridiculous. I don't really have the kind of relationship with any of the other families where I would call and ask them if we could sit with them and as I said we don't really have any contact at school itself. So what should I do? Should I call the mom of the other family in town and potentially put her in an awkward situation? Should I just put their names on the back of the invite and see what happens? I really am new to this type of "dating".

We also thought about not going and just sending a donation, but Matthew and his class are making a picture for the auction and he wants us to bid on it. We went to one of these types of things in the Fall for my husband's alma mater and the Kindergarten picture was auctioned off for $10,000! I think I will start the bidding at $100 so that we can tell Matthew that we did bid on the picture.

liz
01-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Can you contact the person/persons running the event and explain your situation (eg you are new to the school etc). Or write on the back of the invite something along the lines of "no preference". I am sure others will have more ideas. GL!

TwinFoxes
01-12-2010, 10:10 AM
I would write "no preference" and go and enjoy myself. I think you're giving yourself too much stress about this. I bet 1/2 the parents don't put anyone's name. I don't think if you're not asked to sit at someone's table it's a snub, like you say, you're new. Have fun!! :)

Corie
01-12-2010, 10:14 AM
I would write "no preference" and go and enjoy myself. I think you're giving yourself too much stress about this. I bet 1/2 the parents don't put anyone's name. I don't think if you're not asked to sit at someone's table it's a snub, like you say, you're new. Have fun!! :)

I completely agree with your post!!!

jayali
01-12-2010, 10:48 AM
OMG - you are so right. Why am I so completely stressed out about this? I never thought about leaving the back blank! I am completely embarrassed - good thing I have you all to "be my mother"!

pinkmomagain
01-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Rather than no preference, I would write a preference to sit at a table with other parents from xxx class. This way maybe they'll put you at a table that has a couple of spots open with other parents from your ds's class.

TwinFoxes
01-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Rather than no preference, I would write a preference to sit at a table with other parents from xxx class. This way maybe they'll put you at a table that has a couple of spots open with other parents from your ds's class.

This is good too.

OP, I totally know what you mean, sometimes I obsess over something until someone (usually DH) tells me to chill. :)