PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone buy the Amazon lightning deal: M&D Responsiblity chart?

sewarsh
01-12-2010, 10:44 AM
This is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Deluxe-Magnetic-Responsibility/dp/B000NTZL7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1263306854&sr=8-1

The reason I'm asking is becuase the listing says it comes with 134 magnetic pieces and mine only has 90 pieces which is what this one has:

http://www.melissaanddoug.com/dyn_prod.php?p=3789

I called M&D and they said either they changed the chart to only carry 90 magnets (which can happen since they go through and "revamp" their products every couple of years) or amazon's listing is confused with the responsbility calendar which has 134 magnets.

EIther way, the listing on amaozn and wrong and now i'm in the process of deciding if i want to keep it for the whopping $8 lightning price or call and return it or ask for partial refund.

What is anyone else thinking?? i'm slightly disappointed in this chart. I thought there would be many more behaviours and i think its kind of limited...i mean there are only 25 behaviors total which seem to range from toddler to 7 years old or so.... clearly 25 is not that many!! (At least for my kids!! :)

ETA: Did more research...definately think amazon and a LOT of other sites haven't updated their site to properly depict only 90 magnets vs. 134. the old chart appears to be this one and has 134 magnets...

http://compare.ebay.com/like/370301276205?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes

justlearning
01-12-2010, 12:12 PM
I had gotten these for my kids years ago so they must be the older model with more magnets. They did cost $17, though, compared to your $8.

I think that my kids would prefer to have a paper chart with stickers (like I had growing up) instead of these charts because it'd be nice to see their progress/successes over time instead of only seeing one week.

Regarding your question, though, I have the extra magnets and the "responsibilities" don't really work well for us anyways so I found that it's better to personalize it to what I want. You can do that using blank magnets they provide (if yours came with those) or just writing on the board what you want (if that part wipes off like the bottom does).

WatchingThemGrow
01-12-2010, 12:23 PM
I got 2 of them. Haven't looked at them too closely or hung any up yet. I introduced it to DD and it seemed to motivate her, but DS keeps running around the house with the magnets from hers. We need to get a system in place though, so I may try to set it up for next week. The empty ones can be written on, and you can probably write directly on the board itself. I like and dislike the bottom part.

I don't like all the magnets stuck to the board, so we need to find a new place for them. The white board will be helpful when we have something else we're working on with her, like a bible verse or something. For me, having a board and not having to do it on the computer/print it up each week may be more user-friendly, once we get into a rhythm.

lil_acorn
01-12-2010, 12:37 PM
I have the 90 and find even that is fine. In fact there are too many categories (the rest are really just the "stickers". You can only focus on so many elements for reward. IMO, you just need to focus on what your key careabouts are otherwise there is too much tracking and not enough focus on what you're trying to change. I think it was the Kazdin method where you only focus on 3 major behaviors you are trying to change. With this chart, we are tracking a lot more than that.

Originally we chose the behaviors we wanted our son to be good at
eat dinner at table
be nice
no hitting
no whining
no bad words
make bed
yada yada yada

but it was just too much. Now we just stick try to do 6 key behaviors and track those.

mariza
01-12-2010, 01:22 PM
It never occurred to me to count the magnets, DD is newly 5 and we only use a handful of the responsibility magnets so far. We've been using it for a couple of weeks now and I haven't found lack of magnets to be an issue. So far we really like it. It's a HUGE motivator for DD, she loves when she completes a "chore" and gets to put a smiley next to it.
So far the ones we use are:
Brush Teeth
Take a Bath
Get Dressed
Unload Dishwasher (she helps me do this, doesn't do it alone)
Make bed
Keep your hands to yourself
No Whining

The no whining one rarely gets a smiley maybe that's why I have plenty of magnets :wink2: