PDA

View Full Version : Things I should have or know about daycare center?

wendibird22
01-12-2010, 10:53 AM
We are switching DD1 from a home sitter to a local daycare center next month. I feel sooooo clueless about what DD will need and things I should ask about/know about as part of the daycare center culture.
I believe DD will need a sheet and blanket for the sleep mat and a change of clothes. Anything else? How should I label her things?

Are there customs/traditions I should look out for...such as classroom valentines, room parent stuff, etc?

wellyes
01-12-2010, 11:14 AM
IMO, don't think of it as a center - your DD will be in a small community within the center. So it's good to get to know the teachers & students in the room as if they were a small home daycare.

Every place has its own rules but - in general- she'll have a cubby or drawer of her own for you to put stuff like clothes, mittens, sunscreen, etc.

They'll give you a write-up at the end of each day describing what she ate, what she did, etc. So even if you can't talk to the person who took care of her for much of the day (DD's primary caregiver worked 6-3, so by pickup she was gone), you'll still have a chance to hear from all her teachers through the sheet.

vonfirmath
01-12-2010, 01:20 PM
DO label everything. Kids take things off. Things get mislaid. Etc.

mommylamb
01-12-2010, 01:26 PM
I'd want to know about the food situation. Do they provide meals or do you have to bring something (if your DC is an infant, I'm sure you'll have to provide bottles of BM or formula)? If they do provide meals, does it include snacks? What do the meals look like?

What time do the kids typically go down for nap?

What kinds of activities do they do with the kids?

Obviously, the best thing to do is to spend some time there getting to know the teachers and the general routine.