PDA

View Full Version : Am I not a "crock pot" type of gal?

alien_host
01-12-2010, 01:23 PM
I finally bought one at Costco at the end of November. I haven't even taken it out of the box!

I seriously (duh) didn't realize most recipes were 8-10 hours. I have to say I'm not loving the idea of having to get dinner ready in the AM. Even if I cook on high I need to get it in there by 1 or 2 to have it done by 6/6:30.

Also several recipes seem like you need another pan to brown the meat etc, which in my mind defeats the purpose.

Most school days I barely can get DD and I out the door and there on time, nevermind trying to get the dinner in the crock pot. I'm a SAHM but on her school days (3 x a week) I'm normally out for the duration doing errands etc.

Should I just return it? Use it on weekends? Even last weekend I found myself procratinating and not getting it done and making something else. How do I get over this obstacle of thinking about dinner 8-10 hours prior?

Thoughts?

ohiomom1121
01-12-2010, 02:10 PM
I love my crock pot and use it a lot. I RARELY brown meat beforehand (unless I'm adding brats or Italian sausage-they just look weird if they're not browned). I tend to just put the meat on the potatoes/ veggies on the bottom, meat on top and dump stuff that will eventually turn into a sauce on top. SUPER EASY. You can even prep veggies the night before (if potatoes you need to soak them in water so they don't turn brown). Or even buy them pre-cut. Plus it works wonders on cheap cuts of meat. One of the easiest ones I've done is cut up potatoes, baby carrots and onions on the bottom, a chuck roast on top with a family size can of cream of mushroom soup on top. I always put roasts in because the meat gets so tender it's easy to eat and DD loves them (would never eat one that cooked in the oven and was tougher). I do find chicken breasts come out great 4 hours on high and the meats better if cooked the 8 hours. I would definitely not return it.
ETA: soups are great in it too...my SIL made a chicken tortilla soup that was frozen chicken breasts, a few cans of beans, tomatoes, and corn and it was delicious. Literally just a few minutes to put together.

Kestrel
01-12-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm just learning this crock pot thing, too, but what I've done so far is prep stuff in advance or on the weekend, and put it all in a bowl in the fridge overnight... then dump in the pot, turn it on, and go! WE've also done a couple of times where DH comes home for lunch and puts the (already preped) items into the pot. He loves to think he's "making dinner". {uumm... if I peel and cut everything, and you dump it in the pot with a carton of broth, that's not "cooking", my dear...}

Anyway, I buy hamburger in bulk at Costco, and brown it all... then zip-bag and freeze it. I can throw a frozen bag of meat in the fridge overnight, and add it to the pot in the morning with canned tomato and veggie for pasta sauce. I also cook and slice italian sausages the same way; as well as chucks of chicken or beef stewmeat.

Good luck, and keep playing with it!

ray7694
01-12-2010, 02:25 PM
It takes me less than 5 minutes to dump the stuff into the Crock Pot before I leave for work. I never brown anything. I do chicken breasts, turkey, ham.

bigpassport
01-12-2010, 02:27 PM
I have prepped food the night before, stuck the crockpot in the fridge overnight, took it out a half hour or so before turning it on to let the crock itself warm up to room temp and then turned it on. I never thought of putting the food in a separate bowl overnight...that's a good one.

DebbieJ
01-12-2010, 05:11 PM
I have prepped food the night before, stuck the crockpot in the fridge overnight, took it out a half hour or so before turning it on to let the crock itself warm up to room temp and then turned it on. I never thought of putting the food in a separate bowl overnight...that's a good one.

why dirty another bowl? prep it at night and throw the crock in the fridge for sure!

I almost never pre-brown the meat either.

boolady
01-12-2010, 05:18 PM
why dirty another bowl? prep it at night and throw the crock in the fridge for sure!

:yeahthat: I will be doing this tonight.

boltfam
01-12-2010, 05:28 PM
I used my crock,pot a ton when I first got it and then didn't for a while, and now I'm using it at least once a week again. I wouldn't return it, b/c it is a nice thing to have around. You can do a recipe as easy as chicken breasts, salsa, and corn...hardly takes any time to throw it in the crock pot.

I have also started planning my meals for the week at the beginning of the week, so I'm able to utilize my crock pot more.

neeleymartin
01-12-2010, 09:56 PM

omg...i can't believe that you all have that much vacant space in the fridge. i wish i could do that, i am lucky if i have room to put the jelly away after breakfast...i really need to clean out that pig sty.

sounds like a great idea, but could never happen in my house.

DebbieJ
01-12-2010, 10:13 PM
omg...i can't believe that you all have that much vacant space in the fridge. i wish i could do that, i am lucky if i have room to put the jelly away after breakfast...i really need to clean out that pig sty.

I have a 2nd fridge in my garage. :)

ohiomom1121
01-12-2010, 10:13 PM

Yep, me neither!!! I need a bigger fridge.

egoldber
01-13-2010, 08:25 AM

:yeahthat:

I do also have a second refrigerator in my garage. :)

lizzywednesday
01-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Does anybody use the liner bags? Couldn't you chuck everything into a liner bag the night before & then transfer to the crock in the morning? (This would solve the space problem, right?)

Or, lacking that, since most crocks are removeable and dishwasher safe, chuck cut veggies into a ziptop baggie & leave it in the fridge with the pkg of meat next to it.

Kestrel
01-13-2010, 07:33 PM
My (older) crockpot's ceramic is NOT dishwasher safe; that's why I put stuff in a bowl in the fridge overnight. The shock of putting very cold ceramic into the heating element could crack or eggshell it. :(

alien_host
01-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I do have a second fridge in the garage so maybe that's the way to go. I need to just make something!

neeleymartin
01-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Does anybody use the liner bags? Couldn't you chuck everything into a liner bag the night before & then transfer to the crock in the morning? (This would solve the space problem, right?)

Or, lacking that, since most crocks are removeable and dishwasher safe, chuck cut veggies into a ziptop baggie & leave it in the fridge with the pkg of meat next to it.

ooo, great idea!!! i use these. i plan to do this next time i cp cook. thanks for the great tip.:bowdown:

ohiomom1121
01-13-2010, 10:26 PM
This thread inspired me to get mine out today. I made this...so easy and delicious!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Chicken-Tortilla-Soup/Detail.aspx# I just threw in 2 big frozen chicken breasts and shredded them a few hours before we ate. The only prep you would need to do is chop garlic and onions the night before.

egoldber
01-14-2010, 08:21 AM
I don't use the liner bags because I don't personally like the idea of cooking in heated plastic all day.

karstmama
01-14-2010, 10:24 AM
browned meat looks a little nicer & tastes a little better, but it's not some huge amount of nicer & better so if it makes you not want to use the crock pot, skip that!

i haven't used mine in a while. need to dust it off again.

but i've been using the bread machine & the rice cooker! yay gadgets!

lizzywednesday
01-14-2010, 10:45 AM
My (older) crockpot's ceramic is NOT dishwasher safe; that's why I put stuff in a bowl in the fridge overnight. The shock of putting very cold ceramic into the heating element could crack or eggshell it. :(

You're not supposed to put a cold crock into the heating element regardless of how new or old yours is.

Mine's newer & I never would have purchased it if it weren't dishwasher safe.

jse107
01-14-2010, 12:43 PM
I've been having the same issue. I was so excited to get the crockpot and I have hardly used it. I was inspired by the salsa/chicken recipe from this thread so that's what we're having tonight for dinner.

Hopefully I'll get my act together and use it more! It's hard for me to get myself together in the morning, but I love the idea of coming home to dinner that's ready to go!

jacksmomtobe
01-14-2010, 02:23 PM
I finally used my crock pot that was a wedding gift 7 years ago and am now hooked. I made the chicken salsa recipe that everyone posted about. It's 4 chicken breasts, one can of black beans drained & rinsed, one can of corn, and salsa. I put 16 oz of salsa in at the start and then added some more towards the end of cooking. We had it with rice last night and are having it in tortillas tonight. Honestly it was so easy. I picked up the ingredients the day before and then put it all in the crock pot in the morning. I broke up the chicken for the last 1/2 hour of cooking. The total cooking was 7 hours. My crock pot lets you set a time and then after that time it goes into keep warm mode. It was so nice to not have to think about dinner all day and I did it early enough that I was able to serve it the moment the kids were ready to eat. I can't wait to find more easy recipes like that.

alien_host
01-18-2010, 12:24 PM
I finally used it yesterday. I made a pulled pork and DH and I loved it. DD not so much, she doesn't like sauces on stuff (likes to dip) so I gave her some of the pork without the sauce and she wouldn't even try it.

For the pulled pork, I put a 3-4 lb pork loin from costco. I let it sit overnight with a mesquite rub that DH has for grilling (Kirkland brand). I put some onions on the bottom and cooked it for about 7.5 hours on low. A lot of liquid came out of the pork/onions so I warmed the BBQ sauce on the stove and mixed it with the shredded pork. Served with mac and cheese and baked beans as sides. It was yummy. I only mixed 1/2 the pork with the BBQ sauce so I might use the other 1/2 for a pork taco or something? Warm up and mix with salsa, add cheese and sour cream and roll in a soft tortilla.

Anyway, I now have chicken and salsa in the crock pot :)

Let's see how long this lasts!