PDA

View Full Version : Does Your Almost 3 Year Old Attend Preschool?

vejemom
01-12-2010, 01:36 PM
I need a BBB reality check, please. The awesome preschool down the road from us has an opening in their 2 year old class. It meets Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 9-11:30, and costs $180 a month. Potty training is not required.

DD#1 will be 3 in March, and really needs to get out of the house. We used to do Little Gym, but stopped at her request (Frankly, I wasn't too disappointed about it!) She loves being in MOPPETS at our MOPS meetings, so I think she'll enjoy the preschool, which has a similar structure. I'm hoping she'll also sleep better with the additional activity - she tends to wake up a couple times a night, still.

I'm all for trying the preschool, but DH looks at me like I've got lobsters coming out of my ears. He thinks she's way too young, doesn't recall his older kids going to preschool that young, etc. FWIW, I think he's wrong about that. I'm pretty sure that at least youngest DSD went as a 2 year old. I was just curious what other people are doing. TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
01-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Ds2 just turned 2 in Dec. but has been going to 2 morning/ week preschool since September. He is in a toddler program. I love it and so does he.

In my circle it's about 50/50 with starting preschool before age 3. I didn't understand the appeal when I just had ds1 but now I do. :)

Beth

WatchingThemGrow
01-12-2010, 01:41 PM
We started DD at 3y4m, and DS1 will start at 3y9m. We do a bible study and a kindermusik class, plus randomly do playgroup and local kids museums every other week or so.

egoldber
01-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Sarah and Amy both started in a 2 year old program, two days a week. Both loved it.

Did they need it? No, of course not, but they both enjoyed it and I enjoyed the break.

Tondi G
01-12-2010, 01:43 PM
I would do it in a heartbeat! If we had the opportunity for a 2 day program for a couple of hours I would have done it. if you put her in and things don't work out you can always pull her back out!

HIU8
01-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Both DD and DS were in preschool at that age. DS started in September of the year he would be turning 3 (he has a November bday). DD started at 27 months (she has a summer bday). theirs is preschool with daycare before and aftercare b/c I work PT.

happymomma
01-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Both my DD and DS went to preschool when they were still 2 years old. It took a little for them to get used to it but they love it. It's also great for me also. They started going 2 days a week from 9 - 11:30am. Now DD is going 3 days a week from 9 - 12:30 and also staying for their stay and play till 2:30pm. This worked out great b/c I am able to work those 3 days. She also enjoys playing with her friends.

Twoboos
01-12-2010, 01:47 PM
DD1 started at 2yrs 9mos! DD2 started at 3ys and 2 weeks. :)

billysmommy
01-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Ds2 started at 2 yrs 7 months for 2 mornings a week and loved it.
With Ds1 I went back to work when he was 6 months so he was in daycare 3 days/week.

MontrealMum
01-12-2010, 01:57 PM
DS goes to a full day daycare and is 2.5. Although the program is not fully implemented in his room this year (all 2 yr. olds), this particular daycare has an educational program in place based on a blend on Montessori and Reggio Emilio philosophies. I had his mid-year report in Dec. and he's doing very well so far. Each age/classroom has specific goals to evaluate the children on. Because of it's philosophical basis this ranges from academic basics like learning to count, to practical life tasks like holding a spoon correctly, and taking shoes on and off.

They receive 2 snacks and one meal, take a 2 hr. nap each day, and go outside nearly every day. In the 2 yr old room they work on tt'ing, but do not need to be trained yet.

DS is a particularly energetic and curious little boy, and he needs something with this sort of stimulation. He started last year at around 1 yr, but the program was much more playbased at that age. This year it's more of a combo.

We're ecstatic that we were able to get him into this particular daycare as it saves us a transition to preschool, and cobbling together aftercare and transportation to an from any sort of after care. It's also part of the reduced rate daycares and right in our neighborhood. If we stay here in Mtl. he will go here until he's ready for kindy.

alexsmommy
01-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Yep, DS1 attended an almost identical program which he started at 2.5 and DS2 is currently in that program and started at 2. Every morning he asks if he is going to school that day. He LOVES it. It's not PREschool so much as PLAYschool, though they do work on numbers 1-10, colors etc. It's really more for socializtion.

carolinamama
01-12-2010, 02:13 PM
DS1 has been in parttime childcare or preschool since 12 months. DS2 will start preschool a month before he turns 2 yo two mornings a week next September. He won't need it, but I am looking forward to the break and I'm sure he will enjoy the activities.

pb&j
01-12-2010, 02:16 PM
I work full time, so yes, both my kids have been in preschool for a while.

FWIW, my mom was a SAHM till I was 3 and both my sister and I started preschool - 5 days/wk - at age 2. I have very happy memories of it, and one of DS's favorite bedtime stories is for me to tell him about my preschool.

niccig
01-12-2010, 02:19 PM
DS was 2 years and 9 months when he started. He was in the older 2's class. He loved it. It's really not much time away from you, I mean it's 6 hours. Our school was play based, so they had story-time, art/craft time, out door play, snack etc.

If you want to have DC enrolled next year, then this might be a chance to get a spot, as returning families get preference.

AnnieW625
01-12-2010, 02:47 PM
We started DD at 3 yrs. 5 mos. because she missed the 2 yr. 9 mos. cut off by 4 mos. back in September of 2008, plus she had to be potty trained so she wouldn't have been able to go until right after she turned 3 if the school was yr. round, which it's not. I don't see the harm in starting once she is three because there won't be much of difference between starting her at 3 yrs. and 3 yrs. 5 mos. old.

belovedgandp
01-12-2010, 02:53 PM
If the schedule and money issues work out for you, then do it!

My older DS did a one day a week KDO program the year he was 2 and then two years of pre-school. I would have put my younger DS (turns 3 in June) in something this year, but it didn't work out with our schedule. DS1 does an afternoon K program, so I just couldn't justify sending DS2 since all the programs I found for him were in the morning.

elephantmeg
01-12-2010, 02:54 PM
No but I need to call and get DS enrolled for next year and might go ahead and send DD when she can go too!

mominmarch
01-12-2010, 03:42 PM
My DD will be 3 in March as well. We are in our second year of preschool. Last year she went 2 mornings a week, 9-12, and this year it is three mornings a week, 9-12. I am trying to decide b/t 4 and 5 mornings a week for next year. We have a full time nanny so our sending her to preschool was a decision solely based on if it would be good for our toddler, since we were paying a nanny for that time in any event. That being said, I AM SO GLAD WE SENT HER. It has been great for her socialization skills, art development, learning to interact with other kids, dancing, music, etc. It has really been a great program. My mother thought I was crazy since none of her kids went to preschool until 4, but in our area, starting at 2.5 is really the norm. And I am so glad that I did. Seriously, it has been worth its weight in gold for my daughter creating friendships with other kids too. My vote would be a definite yes.

It is great for naps... most days that my DD is in preschool she gets a really good nap in. But she also is up at least once most nights, and I hate to tell you, school didn't change that for us :) But as far as making for a happier little girl when she is home, and learning a lot about people, customs, etc, it has been great.

citymama
01-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Yes, my DD was in preschool at that age (and earlier) and it has been wonderful for her.

maestramommy
01-12-2010, 03:52 PM
There is a preschool in our area that has a 2yo class, with the same hours! I sent Dora there last year beginning in January, when we found out they had an opening. But she was actually not far from 3.5 by that time. I felt like she would really benefit speechwise, and just doing more than milling around at home. She loved it.

I was thinking of sending Arwyn this year, but she needed speech therapy and we were scheduled during one of the school days. That was okay with me in the end. She doesn't turn 3 until the end of May and just seemed a little too young to be in "school." Funny thing though, if she hadn't qualified for speech services I probably would've sent her, as they don't require PTing either.

Melaine
01-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Nope. My girls have never been in any kind of preschool or daycare program, they are 3.25. I think it would be nice for a break for me and probably fun for most kids but certainly not necessary. I wouldn't be willing to spend that kind of money (times 2). But I am pretty uptight about childcare and haven't left DC with anyone other than family. I'm also planning on homeschooling, so my mindset is already a little unique.

spunkybaby
01-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Yes, DD1 went to preschool (2 mornings a week) starting at 2 years 6 months, and DD2 is currently in preschool (2 mornings a week) and started at 2 years, 10 months. The kids love to go to school, and it's a nice break for me :)

smilequeen
01-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Yes. My now 2.5 year old started a toddler Montessori program in August, 3 mornings a week. It certainly isn't neccessary for a 2 year old to go to preschool but it's far more fun and enriching than the gym childcare and he's happy. Perfect for us.

KrisM
01-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Mine all started after they turned 3. Just the way the birthdays went, really. Cut off for school here is 12/1 and I have spring/summer kids. I didn't see any need for more than 2 years of preschool, so that's what we did. If I had a fall baby, they would have been almost 3 when they started.

Cuckoomamma
01-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Dd1 started lessons without me or her dad at 4, and dd2 will be starting them and she's 4.5. We homeschool as well.

It sounds like you and dh might just have a misunderstanding as to what you're looking for. Do you know what his concerns are? He might be concerned about pushing "academics" to a 2 yo and not realize that you're just looking for a recreational outlet (if that's what you're looking for).

MommyofAmaya
01-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I will consider putting Amaya in preschool next fall.... she will be 4.25.

baileygirl
01-12-2010, 05:10 PM
DS1 started going to preschool a few months before he turned 3. He goes one morning a week and LOVES it. Next school year he'll go two mornings a week. DS2 will be 3.5 when he starts (only because of where his birthday falls in the year). So, no I don't think you are crazy!

schrocat
01-12-2010, 06:10 PM
DS1 started MDO at 16 months and the toddler room at a Montessori school at 19 months. We put him in MDO because I needed a break and added 3 days of Montessori school because we were moving and I needed to pack. It was good for him too because I knew he was well taken care off while I was busy doing necessary chores.

nfowife
01-12-2010, 06:17 PM
DD started going at 18 months, right before I had DS. She went 2 days a week. I upped it to 3 when DS was 6 weeks old and DH got called up for a 4 month deployment. She is 4 now and goes everyday and loves it. She gets so much out of it!
DS started going when he was a little over 1 (after I was done nursing). He went 2 days a week, one day with DD so I had some free time and the other day I had DD with me so we could do some mom and me classes that he couldn't accompany us to. At 2 he started going 3 days a week, but we moved and our current preschool does 2 days for the 2 year old class so that's what he does right now. Next year he will be back in 3 days a week.
Both my kids have thrived being in nursery and preschool. They still have plenty of time with me!

C99
01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Sarah and Amy both started in a 2 year old program, two days a week. Both loved it.

Did they need it? No, of course not, but they both enjoyed it and I enjoyed the break.

DS1 and DD did this as well. If I could find a 2-day week program for DS2 that was only $180/month, I'd do it. He would LOVE it. Right now, he's bumming around the house with DH every morning.

jk3
01-12-2010, 07:06 PM
DS #1 started at 2 years 3 months + DS #2 started at 2 years 4 months. DS 2 goes to preschool 3 mornings/week. He loves it. Is it essential? No but it has been a wonderful experience for him.

Gena
01-12-2010, 07:28 PM
DS started preschool around age 2.5. He went to a typical program (Goddard) a couple mornings a week and the Early Intervention toddler class in the afternoon. At age 3 he switched to the school district's special needs preschool.

Nooknookmom
01-12-2010, 07:41 PM
I wish...she SO needs to be socialized, lol. Plus I think she would do good having a break from me all day (and vice versa).

Each day, I try to do crafts, writing, reading, lots of creative play and lately lots of Kipper videos (not my favorite choice!). I brought home alot of my expierience from teaching PS and apply it to our acitvities. So she is getting the learning part at home.

It's just the socialization with her peers she needs & *I* need those 3 hours twice a week to catch up on the piles and piles of paperwork on my desk.

DD2 won't be 3 until May, so still kinda young for even the 3 year old room at the school she would be attending. Also, at that school, she needs to be fully PT'd-we are ""almost"" there.

I'm crossing my fingers and toes that by spring she will be ready.

Sniff, sniff, though, it's officially the end of my little tiny baby then!!!!!

DD1 started PS a month before she turned 3 - she was VERY shy and I kina felt that it was a little early for her to begin. However, she LOVED her preschool and to this day when we drive by it, says she still misses it!

elektra
01-12-2010, 07:51 PM
DD will go this fall when she will be 3.5. I am looking forward to it and I think she will love it too.

brittone2
01-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Neither child has attended preschool, but we homeschool and plan to continue for the long run, so we operate under a different philosophy. Both kids are very social ;) even without preschool.

jamesmom
01-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Both DD and DS were in a 2 year old Moms Morning Out program. They were in "school" two mornings a week. It was free play with crafts, games, songs, circle time and a snack. It was great for them (and me). I felt it really prepped them for preschool.

To OP, glad to read you are going for it!

mom2binsd
01-12-2010, 10:25 PM
DS went to preschool in their 2 year old class, aptly named the Teddy Bear class.....two mornings from 9-11 for 75.00 a month. The school is accredited and DD had been a student for two years. Wonderful loving teacher and assistant, completely play based, and sooo much fun!! They had snack time and learned a simple prayer (the preschool is at a Presbyterian church but the only element of church is saying Grace). DS doesn't have any similar aged peers to play with (we don't attend chuch/kids in neighborhood are older) and we both work so playdates are tricky- it was wonderful.

I think it's a great idea!!!!!!!!!!

bubbaray
01-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Nope, DD#2 does not (will be three this month) and neither did DD#1. They go to daycare FT, though.

kayte
01-12-2010, 10:46 PM
DD started in September at 3 yrs 9 months for 6 hours a week.

o_mom
01-12-2010, 10:53 PM
We'll start in the fall - 2 days/wk, 2.5 hrs. He'll be 3 yrs 3 mos. The next year he'll go three days (4 yo).

ett
01-12-2010, 11:00 PM
DS2 is turning 3 this month. He is attending a Mother's Day Out program one morning a week. He will start preschool next fall. (2 mornings starting in September and then 3 mornings starting the following January.) Besides the fact that he misses the 2.9 cutoff, I don't really see a need to send him to 3 years of preschool.

baymom
01-13-2010, 02:32 AM
I'm a SAHM, and both my kids have been going to preschool since they were 2--I say go for it! DC's were co-ops, where I worked at the school one day and it was drop off one day (3 hours a day). If I had the option of dropping off both days I would have done it in a heartbeat. Kids that age enjoy the stimulation and it's only a couple of hours anyway. Go for it!!

vejemom
01-13-2010, 08:43 AM
Wow! Thanks for all your responses. We've more or less decided to go for it. Hopefully, they haven't filled the opening in the day since I talked to them.