PDA

View Full Version : How do you care for your cashmere?

viba424
01-12-2010, 01:49 PM
I know it says "dry clean only" but I researched it once and there are some believers that hand washing is better, and easier on the natural fibers instead of getting overly pressed. What do you do? Ive got several sweaters I need to wash.

lizzywednesday
01-13-2010, 10:12 AM
I take it to the dry cleaners, but I wear it so infrequently that it seems to hold up fine. If it doesn't stink after I wear it, I hang it back up in my closet inside out to air a bit & then have it cleaned after the next time I wear it. (I have a lavendar cashmere turtleneck sweater that's beautiful on, but not exactly preggie-belly friendly, IYKWIM?)

The last time I had it cleaned, I took it to my local "green" cleaners, who charge the same rates as conventional cleaners but the process doesn't leave residue behind, which is good because I will inevitably break out after wearing my sweater if I have it cleaned anywhere else.

dna_gal
01-13-2010, 12:28 PM
It's cold here so I have about a dozen cashmere sweaters and wear one most days in the winter- the drycleaning bills would kill me! I handwash inside out cold water using Woolite and then hang to dry. I also usually wear a silk undershirt so as long as I remember to take the sweater off before holding DD after work they generally don't get all that "dirty."

garnetgirl
01-13-2010, 03:43 PM
I wash cashmere inside out, cold water, delicate cycle, inside a mesh zippered bag. Then I dry in the dryer for a couple of minutes to fluff and soften before hanging on a metal drying rack. When I used to dry clean, cashmere came back a little stiff, not as soft.

cvanbrunt
01-13-2010, 04:52 PM
My washer has a hand wash cycle. Basically gentle with very low spin. I use that to wash all my cashmere together (with my handwash soap, not Woolite) and dry flat.

kozachka
01-19-2010, 12:20 AM
I wash my cashmere sweaters in cold water. So far so good.

griffinmom
01-21-2010, 12:01 AM
I always wash mine on gentle and lay flat to dry. The cashmere is soft with no chemical smell.

viba424
01-21-2010, 09:43 AM
I think Ill just do that. Hand wash or use our hand wash cycle.

Do you use Dryel for some of your delicates too? They seemed big for a while but people seem to have gone back to good old Woolite.

pomegranate
02-24-2010, 02:55 PM
I started using The Laundress cashmere wash and love it. Hand wash, works like woolite but left my sweaters with a nicer scent and more "bounciness." I have the wash that's sold on jcrew.com, but thelaundress.com also sells a similar wash. The J Crew one is a special scent made for J Crew. There's more info on washing and caring for cashmere on The Laundress website too.