PDA

View Full Version : Need help making Grandpa's car safe for the kids

curlytop
01-12-2010, 06:24 PM
My dad has an 80's era Nissan Pathfinder. Shoulder belts up front, lap belts only in back, no air bags.
When ds (5yo, 51lbs, 46" ) rides with him he rides in his Regent, installed in the back with the lap belt (although there is no tether). I installed it, a good tight fit. Is this OK??

The main problem is dd (almost 9, 58lbs, 52"). In my car is in a Parkway booster, in the back. Where could she ride with Grandpa? Up front in her booster?

Money for him is very tight, so a new car is out of the question. He lives right across the street from her school and we are 15 miles away, he would like to bring her home sometimes.

Any advice? TIA!

AnnieW625
01-12-2010, 06:29 PM
I think your 9 yo would be fine in a booster or in the front seat as long as the shoulder belt fits. It's very common for us here in Suburban Los Angeles to see kids way younger than 9 sitting in the front seat w/no booster in newish cars (IE ones with front airbags) although CA does recommend (only) that kids younger than 12 stay in the back seat (because of the air bags). Kudos to you for making this work!

KrisM
01-12-2010, 06:48 PM
The only place would be the front seat and I'd use a booster and move the seat back as far as possible.

She can't ride in the back seat, either with or without a booster, with only a lap belt.

o_mom
01-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Since your son is over 50 lbs, the Regent must be tethered. It may be possible to retrofit tether anchors in that vehicle. The LATCH manual shows that '87-95 Pathfinders can add tether anchors in the outboard seating positions. The part number is 88894-89900 and there are 2 8 mm weld nuts under the carpet in rear cargo floor. The part should be about $15.00. Not sure what Nissan would charge for installation, but if you can locate the spots for them, they should be fairly easy to install.

For your DD, the easiest/cheapest thing would be to use her booster in the front seat with the lap/shoulder belt. Getting her safely in the back seat would most likely involve a special tether anchor.

curlytop
01-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Thank you so much!
We already had some calls into get the tether anchors. The nearest Nissan is a few hours away (we're in the boonies!), but when they arrive we'll be trekking out to have them installed. DS was holding steady at 49lbs, weighed him after the New Year and he jumped up to 51!
It makes me a wreck to think of her in the front seat, but I know it's the best spot in his car. Thank you again!

mom2binsd
01-12-2010, 10:49 PM
YOu can probably install the tether anchors yourselves..my FIL did the ones in his Buick trunk (very awkward) in about 20 minutes...the access in the Pathfinder should be much easier!