PDA

View Full Version : could 11 month DD have a cold sore?

drako
01-12-2010, 08:35 PM
DD is 11 months old and has a swollen bottom lip and whitish circular lesion on the outside and inside of her lip. Last Thursday she fell and bit her lip in the same general area that this lesion/swelling is. It swelled just a little after the fall and I iced it as best as she would let me. The swelling was gone by the next day. Fast forward to last night. DH and I took her out shopping and when we got home I noticed she had a fat lip which looked like she bit it. This morning it was still swollen and the white lesion almost reminds me she is sucking on it. She doesn't have a fever, they are not fluid filled and she is cutting some teeth. I called peds office and they said to keep an eye on it, give her tylenol if it seems to bother her and call back if it gets worse. It doesn't seem to bother her...she is not rubbing it. She seems to be more bothered by her teething.

Any advice with for this nervous mom?

DrSally
01-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Sometimes people can get canker sores in areas of the mouth that are injured, perhaps by a bite.

Cam&Clay
01-13-2010, 11:29 PM
That sounds like a canker sore, not a cold sore.

Penny's Pappa
01-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Definitely sounds more like a canker sore to me. I oftentimes get them if I bite my cheek, tongue, or lip. If it is a canker sore, just try to keep it clean and treat her pain as needed. It'll go away in a few days.

And not to scare you, but in the interest of full disclosure, cold sores are caused by a type of herpes infection. Usually they're contracted by interacting with another person who has it. Consult with your doctor if you think that's possible.

Here are some Mayo Clinic articles on Canker Sores (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/canker-sore/DS00354) and Cold Sores (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cold-sore/DS00358).

drako
01-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks ladies! It was not a cold sore. It was from her fall when she bit her lip. It healed in a few days. The swelling went down the next day and just looked like a bit lip!