PDA

View Full Version : ground beef in the crockpot?

bubbaray
01-12-2010, 10:51 PM
DH bought ground beef instead of ground chicken/turkey. I don't really like beef in general and ground beef makes me queasy.

Any good recipes for ground beef in the crockpot that do NOT call for pre-browning the meat?? TIA!

egoldber
01-13-2010, 08:24 AM
The problem with ground beef in the crock pot, IMO, is it really, really, needs to be drained for most recipes. While I do not brown most meats for the crock pot, I do ground beef otherwise I think it comes out kind of gross. JMO.

Wife_and_mommy
01-13-2010, 09:35 AM
I agree with Beth. One g.b. recipe I make in the crock pot is meatloaf and I make a "bed" of aluminum foil so it's raised and can drain. I make sure it's at least an inch inch high and has crevices to drain through.

Hth.

boolady
01-13-2010, 10:15 AM
The problem with ground beef in the crock pot, IMO, is it really, really, needs to be drained for most recipes. While I do not brown most meats for the crock pot, I do ground beef otherwise I think it comes out kind of gross. JMO.

I agree, too. Chili comes out really well in the crockpot, but I always brown the meat first, even if I'm using the leanest beef, because even if what it releases is mostly moisture and little fat, it tends to make liquid.

egoldber
01-13-2010, 12:25 PM
One g.b. recipe I make in the crock pot is meatloaf and I make a "bed" of aluminum foil so it's raised and can drain

Oh that's a really good idea!