PDA

View Full Version : S/O preschool thread: searchable websites?

BigDog
01-13-2010, 09:47 AM
I need "Preschool for Dummies". I don't know where to start! Are there any websites that provide good reviews/ratings of schools/daycares?

DS will be 3 in September and I'd like to enroll him in a morning program 1 or 2 days a week. Not sure how soon I would need to register or get him on a wait list. Again, I'm clueless! Any info is appreciated!

jenmcadams
01-13-2010, 11:10 AM
It completely depends on you area. In some areas, you need to register the January before you start (so now for a Fall program) and in some areas, application deadlines are earlier or later. Also, you need to find out what the age cut-offs are for your area. Many preschools follow the public school K age cut-offs, so if your public schools require your child be 5 by August and your child doesn't turn 5 until September, your child wouldn't go into a typical 3's preschool program, but would go into a 2s program.

I would start by asking around your neighborhood, playgroups, classes, etc. for recommendations. I would also simply google preschools in your area and start calling about programs. Most schools prefer at least 2 days per week (so it might be tough to find a 1/2 day 1x per week program). When you call the programs, in addition to asking about pricing, schedules, etc., ask about how long they've been around, tenure of teachers, educational philosophies, etc. You also need to think about what type of preschool program you would prefer...most early childhood education experts highly recommend child-centered, play-based programs (i.e. non-academic programs). Some specific philosophies you might see mentioned and that you could google for more information include: Montessori, Reggio Emilia, Waldorf, etc. For me, the big things I was concerned about were how long the teachers had been there (and what the turnover was), the facilities (clean, cool materials, playground, playspace for inside days) and their approach to academics (I wanted a very play based preschool that focused on social stuff more than the letter of the week). On the learning front, I personally didn't love Montessori per se, but I love their materials. My kids have attended a Reggio Emilia based program and a play-based program (based on a school called the Bank Street school in NYC) -- in both cases, there was a decidedly developmental approach that included tons of math, science, social studies, pre-writing, pre-reading, but in a fun way where the kids had no idea they were learning. Cool science experiments, building projects, great art projects and lots of free time to explore. I like the fact that my kids' room never looks completely the same week to week (new toys in the building area), new materials in the sensory table (water, beans, snow, leaves, etc.), variety of art projects, tons of books and lots of free play areas (kitchen, dress-up, etc.). I also really love their playground (Not fancy, but lots of variety of toys and a whole shed full of trikes, big wheels and bikes) and the fact that they have access to a large multi-purpose room for cold or rainy days.

jenmcadams
01-13-2010, 01:13 PM
One more thought and to answer your question about searchable websites specifically...sometimes GreatSchools has decent preschool reviews from parents depending on where you're located:

http://www.greatschools.org/

Also, local online parenting groups/forums, will often have a schools sections (e.g. momslikeme.org).

tny915
01-13-2010, 03:00 PM
I've never used it, but Savvy Source gets mentioned a lot in my moms group.

http://www.savvysource.com/preschools/search/