PDA

View Full Version : I've been totally & completely sucked into GLEE.

Corie
01-13-2010, 10:09 AM
And I LOVE it.

fortato
01-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Welcome to the club!

And, if you don't have sex dreams about Puck, then there's something wrong with you!!

Corie
01-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Welcome to the club!

And, if you don't have sex dreams about Puck, then there's something wrong with you!!

OMG, I just got off the phone with my sister and I said that Puck is freakin' hot!

Clarity
01-13-2010, 10:25 AM
I :heartbeat: GLEE. I've been walking around singing Sweet Caroline for a solid week now. This after I caught Puck's rendition on YouTube.

hellokitty
01-13-2010, 10:25 AM
I love it too! I got both of the CDs, BUT DH stole CD2 before I got a chance to even listen to it. It's in his car.

Corie
01-13-2010, 10:27 AM
I love it too! I got both of the CDs, BUT DH stole CD2 before I got a chance to even listen to it. It's in his car.

How are the CDs? I want them!!

caleymama
01-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Welcome to the club!

:yeahthat: and :ROTFLMAO:

And to answer your question Corie, both CDs are great. Got them both at Christmas. I got DH sucked in to it on Tivo, although I don't think he'll admit it. ;) He likes the CDs too.

pinkmomagain
01-13-2010, 10:40 AM
My whole family is hooked (well, except the 4yo).

bnme
01-13-2010, 10:48 AM
I love Glee, too. My DH watches it with me. I have the first album on my itouch. Puck is hot but I :heartbeat: Finn.

Is a new episode on tonight?

boogiemomz
01-13-2010, 10:52 AM
I :heartbeat: GLEE. I've been walking around singing Sweet Caroline for a solid week now. This after I caught Puck's rendition on YouTube.

i had forgotten about this! just watched it again... so great. LOVE GLEE!!! does anyone else have a feeling it won't last as a series? it seems like just the sort of show that would break my heart that way.:crying: oh well, i will be a devoted fan right up until the last episode!

anyone know when the next part of the season starts? there's supposed to be a 'winter' or 'spring' season to follow the 'fall' season, i think. can't wait for will and emma! so cute!! and, of course, more puck! yum.

Clarity
01-13-2010, 10:52 AM
No new episodes until April. :crying:

pinkmomagain
01-13-2010, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=boogiemomz;2593779]does anyone else have a feeling it won't last as a series? it seems like just the sort of show that would break my heart that way.:crying: oh well, i will be a devoted fan right up until the last episode![QUOTE]

I don't know...it has a pretty large cult following. I think it may be around for awhile. I think the writing is great....ESPECIALLY for the Sue Sylvester character.

hellokitty
01-13-2010, 12:32 PM
How are the CDs? I want them!!

CD1 is ok. I did not realize that it wasn't for the entire season, so I guess my expectations were high. I like about 1/2 of the songs, some are really boring, and I always ff through those. CD2 looks good (but why isn't the thong song on there???), but b/c DH stole it, I still haven't listened to it yet and once again I forgot to get it out of his car before he went to work. The booger has had it in his car since the day I got it and I thought I had somehow misplaced the CD and it was driving me crazy, and he did not offer up the info that he TOOK my CD until I started complaining that I couldn't find it. He's probably the only straight male who would steal a glee CD...

Corie
01-13-2010, 12:47 PM
He's probably the only straight male who would steal a glee CD...

I can't even get my husband to watch the show. He is so NOT into musicals.
He was ready to leave Wicked at intermission.

Corie
01-13-2010, 12:49 PM
My whole family is hooked (well, except the 4yo).

Quick question for you...

Do you let your kids watch the show? My 8 year old daughter would
LOVE the singing and dancing but there is some sexual content that I don't
want her to see/hear. (pre-ejaculation issues, pregnant teen, Puck touching
boobs, etc.)

elektra
01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
I heart Will Schuster.
Still waiting for "Another Day" from Rent.

boolady
01-13-2010, 01:13 PM
I heart Will Schuster.

Me, too. DH will watch this with me, but I don't know who he'd admit that to. He cracks up over Jane Lynch.

Corie
01-13-2010, 01:16 PM
He cracks up over Jane Lynch.

She cracks me up too. I don't know how she keeps a straight face
saying her lines.

fauve01
01-13-2010, 01:21 PM
i will risk flaming tomatoes to say I love love love the music on Glee, but i think most of the storylines are dumb. I end up fast forwarding through a lot of the non music stuff when i'm watching to get to the music.

That said, i never miss an episode!
Anne

clc053103
01-13-2010, 01:28 PM
total Gleek here!!!

the only episode I didn't 100% love was the Ring Song/Football team one.

and no, my DH won't watch it either!

pinkmomagain
01-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Quick question for you...

boobs, etc.)

We (as a family) were waiting with great anticipation for Glee before it aired (just based on the promos). My 13 and 10 yo just couldn't wait. Then I saw the first episode in another room than the girls and though "yikes!" this is not appropriate. But they LOVED it. Then I started thinking about how when I was young I was one of the few of my friends who were allowed to watch SOAP and Three's Company, and really, where did that lead me? College graduate (with a graduate degree), one sexual partner, and married to my soul mate for 15 + years...I think I'm OK. Soooooooooo....yes they watch it. I will say that ALL of my 13 yo's classmates watch it, but NONE of my 10yo's classmates are allowed to watch it.

daniele_ut
01-13-2010, 03:25 PM
I heart Will Schuster.

Did you see him on the Kennedy Center Honors? He was SO good. It was a tribute to Mel Brooks.

Dh and I have totally gotten sucked into Glee as well! As theatre folk, it's just our thing!

hellokitty
01-13-2010, 03:52 PM
i will risk flaming tomatoes to say I love love love the music on Glee, but i think most of the storylines are dumb. I end up fast forwarding through a lot of the non music stuff when i'm watching to get to the music.

That said, i never miss an episode!
Anne

I'm the same way. Not that into the storyline, BUT I look forward to the music parts of the show and that is when I really pay attn.

Corie
01-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Soooooooooo....yes they watch it. I will say that ALL of my 13 yo's classmates watch it, but NONE of my 10yo's classmates are allowed to watch it.

My 8 year old would have WAY too many questions!!! Especially about
poor Finn and what happens when he kisses Quinn. :)

It's funny though...I let my daughter listen to "Bad Romance" by Lady GaGa.
She loves it. One day, DD came home from school and told me her good friend said
that Lady GaGa is NOT appropriate. I had to laugh because I can totally hear
this little girl's mom telling her that!

We all pick and choose what works. :)

Sillygirl
01-13-2010, 06:41 PM
We love Glee here too, but after the kids are in bed. I hope Will's wife is permanently off the show, I could not STAND that storyline or her whiny character.

wellyes
01-13-2010, 08:46 PM
boobs, etc.) Oh boy, I dunno, sometimes I think I'm not old enough for Glee! It's seriously twisted. What about the one where Will's wife gets hired to be school nurse & starts handing out speed (cold medicine) to all the kids saying it's "like a vitamin"? Or the one where the message Puck gets from Schindler's List is that he should date Rachel because she's a hot Jew? Or the one where the Celibacy Club meets and slow dances with balloon between the boys and girls *ahem* parts and with the motto "popping balloons make angels cry!" Or the one where they sell pot brownies?

LOL can you tell I'm a fan?

I have to confess, though, that I only recognize about half the songs. I can only tell when they do cheesy late 80s / early 90s songs like Thong Song, I Wanna Sex You Up, and Bust a Move. I think the show writer grew up in the same era I did.

. Then I started thinking about how when I was young I was one of the few of my friends who were allowed to watch SOAP and Three's Company, and really, where did that lead me?

LOL. When I was a kid, my favorite shows were Three's Company and WKRP -- syndicated and run in the afternoon, timed just right for naptime at my babysitter/DCP's house. All us kids didn't sleep a wink, we laughed to much. I do not feel scarred for life from the experience!

Twin Mom
01-14-2010, 12:24 AM
We love Glee here too, but after the kids are in bed. I hope Will's wife is permanently off the show, I could not STAND that storyline or her whiny character.

I agree. She was so annoying I almost didn't want to watch the show.

BTW, DH loves Glee more than I do.

purpleeyes
01-14-2010, 12:27 AM

What, me? Never! :bag

I FLOVE this show. I never liked Idol before, and now I really don't...I can't believe we have to wait until APRIL! :crying:

strollerqueen
01-14-2010, 12:51 AM
That "Defying Gravity" sing-off was the best bit of TV I've seen since "Lost" went on hiatus! :p

newmomto1
01-14-2010, 02:20 AM
WE LOVE GLEE!!!!!!!!
We did not watch it when it was on, but kept hearing about it.
I couldn't figure out why "grown ups" were going on and on about this show.
DH went last week and purchased season 1 on DVD....we are HOOKED! We got through the whole season in less than a week!
I too think Puck is hot...and I do love Will and Finn.
But I am obsessed with Lea Michele (Rachel)...her voice is unbelievable! She is soooo talented (and I love her quirky character!).
I found a bunch of you tube videos of her. "On My Own" from Les Mis happens to be one of my all time fave songs...and she does it SO WELL!!!
Look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DoUCglDg2U
She is awesome!!!

pinkmomagain
01-14-2010, 09:22 AM
But I am obsessed with Lea Michele (Rachel)...her voice is unbelievable! She is soooo talented (and I love her quirky character!).
I found a bunch of you tube videos of her. "On My Own" from Les Mis happens to be one of my all time fave songs...and she does it SO WELL!!!
Look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DoUCglDg2U
She is awesome!!!

I get chills everytime I've seen the sequence when she does "Don't Rain on My Parade" at the competition. Unbelievable performance.

american_mama
01-14-2010, 03:37 PM
I started watching it over Christmas and have been through all 13 or 14 episodes since then, usually multiple times. Love it. I think it's the big reason why I didn't like "The Princess and the Frog" so much, because I think the music, performances and (obviously) plot are better in Glee.

Anyway, I have many big thoughts about Glee:

1. Finn is wonderfully cast in all ways except as a singer. He just doesn't have the voice and is probably the worst singer of all the men. I find the initial scenes of him singing - when his shower singing turned Mr. Schuester's head and when he first practiced with Glee - to be almost confusing because he was such an average singer, yet the lines and plot had him as this showstopper. But he is wonderfully cast in all other ways.

2. Two actresses with large roles from Heroes are both on the show - can you name them? Answer at end.

3. While it is hard to watch Will's wife, in part because she needs to gain 15 pounds and step away from the beige concealer, I think as a character and foil, she is supposed to be as dumb, whiny, and seflish as she is. And every so often she is nice for a second, which I think is there to suggest what might have once been, why Will sticks around, and the struggle he faces in realizing her bad traits outweigh her good. In addition, I think their marriage (he the high school star and she the high school cheerleader) is meant to bring up questions about hanging on to the past, what happens to people after high school, materialism vs. inner joy. Lastly, the episode Accufellas has several lines and scenes with Will's own parents: a domineering, alcoholic, problematic mother and a father who has given up his dreams and been a doormat his whole life. I think the only reason all that was there to help the audience gain insight into Will's own marriage and personality.

4. If I were a conservative Christian and/or celibacy believer, I'd be more than a bit offended by the portrayal of Quinn, her family, and the celibacy club. I think the show could tone the negativity down without losing much humor and they'd gain some nuance.

5. The writers are misogynistic and hypcritical about Rachel. Why is it ok for everyone to dump on Rachel: not only do the un-likeable school jerks do it but so do her fellow Glee members, protaganists of the show, even though they are the very characters who talk about the pain of ridicule. I think the audience is also invited to laugh at Rachel and see her as annoying, even though in most episodes, she does something pretty awesome: books a commercial for the group, stands up to the celibacy club, does things to get the blog reporter to not report that Quinn is pregnant, gives the sectional solo to Mercedes, leaves the Cabaret musical to come back to Glee and eat humble pie, reaches out to Quinn to say Glee will be there for her even when cheerleading is not. Even the guidance counselor, Miss Sweetness, says at one point "Even someone as annoying as Rachel...." Now, Rachel doubtless CAN be irritating, but I think the main reason the characters denigrate her is because she is talented, ambitious, brave and unafraid to show it. And a teen girl who shows those traits gets slapped down, in real life and, sadly, in the show.

6. I think "Ballad" is probably the best episode so far. Two great songs by Mr. Schuester, great acting by Quinn in the parent scene, and tons of humor in Rachel's crush on Mr. Schuester. THe "don't stand so close to me" scene and Miss Pillbury's acting had me laughing out loud.

Answer: Jayma Mays plays Miss Pillsbury, the guidance counselor, on Glee and Charlie, the Texas waitress who Hiro falls in love with, in several episode of Heroes. Jessalyn Gilsig plays Will's wife on Glee and played Claire's biological mother in several episodes of Heroes.

wellyes
01-14-2010, 05:51 PM
1. Finn is wonderfully cast in all ways except as a singer. He just doesn't have the voice and is probably the worst singer of all the men.I like Finn's voice when he gets to go high. Loved his Freddy Mercury.

4. If I were a conservative Christian and/or celibacy believer, I'd be more than a bit offended by the portrayal of Quinn, her family, and the celibacy club. I think the show could tone the negativity down without losing much humor and they'd gain some nuance.See, I love its audacity. *Everyone* is a target, too. They even made fun of that deaf glee club in the end.

Anyway, take away the absurdity/satire and the whole deck of cards collapses - for example: Rachel.

5. The writers are misogynistic and hypcritical about Rachel. Why is it ok for everyone to dump on Rachel: not only do the un-likeable school jerks do it but so do her fellow Glee members, protaganists of the show, even though they are the very characters who talk about the pain of ridicule. I think the audience is also invited to laugh at Rachel and see her as annoying, even though in most episodes, she does something pretty awesome: books a commercial for the group, stands up to the celibacy club, does things to get the blog reporter to not report that Quinn is pregnant, gives the sectional solo to Mercedes, leaves the Cabaret musical to come back to Glee and eat humble pie, reaches out to Quinn to say Glee will be there for her even when cheerleading is not. Even the guidance counselor, Miss Sweetness, says at one point "Even someone as annoying as Rachel...." Now, Rachel doubtless CAN be irritating, but I think the main reason the characters denigrate her is because she is talented, ambitious, brave and unafraid to show it. And a teen girl who shows those traits gets slapped down, in real life and, sadly, in the show.She is a stunning woman with Broadway-caliber singing ability (literally; the actress starred in "Spring Awakening"). The ONLY way the plot of the show could work, that Glee kids are losers, is if everyone somehow fails to recognize this or finds her personality over-the-top grating.

There was a line in one episode about her not being able to be cast in community theater; 5 minutes later she did that "Don't Rain on My Parade" performance to rival Barbra Streisand as a solo performance in front of a stunned live audience. You just have to go with it.

Corie
01-14-2010, 05:57 PM
I hope Will's wife is permanently off the show, I could not STAND that storyline or her whiny character.

Me too! She really annoys me. I'd like to see him with Emma. :)

Corie
01-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Oh and one more thing...I really love the wedding dress that Emma was
wearing when she danced with Will while singing the song from "My Fair Lady".

That dress is so me. :)

groundhog74
01-14-2010, 06:19 PM
I LOVE Glee! I'm so sad it isn't back on until April. I'm glad they picked it up for another season.

If you like the Glee fashion, a friend of mine often has items from Glee listed in her blog... http://tightenyourbelt.blogspot.com/

belovedgandp
01-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Answer: Jayma Mays plays Miss Pillsbury, the guidance counselor, on Glee and Charlie, the Texas waitress who Hiro falls in love with, in several episode of Heroes. Jessalyn Gilsig plays Will's wife on Glee and played Claire's biological mother in several episodes of Heroes.

YES! It is totally colliding my favorite shows right now. Heroes and Criminal Minds - Sue Sylvester is Spencer's mom. It's been fun piecing together some of the actors.

I love the show and can "watch" the episodes over and over, except I can't really sit down and watch them. I have to be doing something at the same time and primarily listening.

american_mama
01-14-2010, 07:11 PM
wellyes, I'll think about what you said. But not everyone is a target on Glee, not exactly. They didn't make fun of the two characters with Down syndrome. They're not making fun of Artie in a wheelchair. They mostly DIDN'T make fun of the deaf glee club; they cast what I suspect was a real deaf or hearing impaired person to sing/speak/sign "Imagine" in an earlier episode, and then used that as a turning point when all the students in Glee, with great respect and much kum-buy-ah smiling, got up and sang/signed the rest of the song with them. Some of it was for plot reasons, to show the simple beauty of a performance compared to the over-done-ness of Hairography, but some of it was to be politically correct. I think it's a cheap shot that the conservative Christian are all hypocrites, but that other characters get to have nuance.

Besides, where is the satire in the roles of Quinn's parents? Do they have any humor or dimension? You couldn't come up with a positive adjective to describe either, I don't think, nor could you find anyone in the celibacy club who honestly believes in the idea. Frankly, Quinn could have been that character, but instead I believe they had her leading the "it's all about the teasing and not about the pleasing" grind line at the meeting of the celibacy club. I get that she's there for her parents, for her controlling personality, but she could have ALSO been there for her beliefs. I think it would have made Quinn singing "Set me free..." much more believable if the show had shown her as someone torn between her religious beliefs and physical desires, in addition to her other divided loyalties.

>> She is a stunning woman with Broadway-caliber singing ability (literally; the actress starred in "Spring Awakening"). The ONLY way the plot of the show could work, that Glee kids are losers, is if everyone somehow fails to recognize this or finds her personality over-the-top grating.

Hmm, do you mean that the producers HAD to come up with a running flaw for Rachel or else the audience just couldn't otherwise believe that she would be seen as a loser? I guess I don't buy that. When she acts like a diva or storms out of practice or does something to make the characters (or audience) roll their eyes, I think that's enough. There are lots of those scenes. She can be selfish, she's a diva, she thinks she's smarter than everyone, she can't relax: those are her flaws, loud and clear, and I don't think the audience needs to be hit over the head with the additional, vague and all-encompassing concept that she is fundamentally annoying, for her willingness to always step forward and stand out (why is this is a bad thing?) And I don't think they need just about every single character to repeat the concept, often to her face.

>> There was a line in one episode about her not being able to be cast in community theater; 5 minutes later she did that "Don't Rain on My Parade" performance to rival Barbra Streisand.
You know, this confuses me. Within the logic of the show, is Racahel supposed to be a good singer who might become the star she desires to be? Is she supposed to be a great singer who no one recognizes? Is she supposed to be a good singer but nowhere equal to her self-image and dreams? Rachel's talent is referred to often by the other characters who simultaneously seem to think she'll never be the star she dreams of being. Occasionally with this show, I'm not sure there is the right balance between suspension of belief and internal logic.

Jacksmommy2b
01-14-2010, 07:49 PM
I love glee and didn't realize the next CD was out!

I think Kurt is my favorite, some of his dialouge just slays me:

Kurt (about the song from wicked): "but it's a girl's part"
Kurt's dad: "but you sing like a girl! ....you know...in a good way..."

and Kurt gets drunk catches Emma in the hall:

"Oh Bambi I was so sorry when they killed your mom....(vomits on shoes)

:dies:

I agree there have been episodes or parts of episodes that are a little heavy on the cheese or just not up to par with the remainder. (especially the whole Mercedes wants to date Kurt thing) And while I think Jane Lynch is a show stealer in her fabulousness, I think she is written sort of wishy-washy sometimes.

wellyes
01-14-2010, 08:00 PM
I think it's a cheap shot that the conservative Christian are all hypocrites, but that other characters get to have nuance.
I think it's satire in the sense that people who'd classically admired are the objects of ridicule on this show. So the wealthy, successful parents of the popular, beautiful girl are cruel drunks who reject her when she needs them most. While the macho mechanic single father of the gay kid is a great parent. I'm not saying it's revolutionary. It's a cartoon (what's up with the cheerleaders wearing their uniforms every day?) and it feels like it's written by someone who's waaaay too old to still be bitter about high school. But at least whoever's writing it is wicked funny. And picks great songs.

But, to be honest, I think almost all the characters lack nuance. Artie's in a wheelchair and lonely. Tina is shy and fake stutters. Brittney's dumb but nice. There's those two guys who just dance & never have any lines. It's a very surface-level show. I enjoy it very much but I'm not sure how long they can keep it up.

Corie
01-14-2010, 09:45 PM
LOL. When I was a kid, my favorite shows were Three's Company and WKRP -- syndicated and run in the afternoon, timed just right for naptime at my babysitter/DCP's house. All us kids didn't sleep a wink, we laughed to much. I do not feel scarred for life from the experience!

So, are you saying that you would let your kids watch Glee?

wellyes
01-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Oh, mine isn't even 2 yet, I don't pretend to know what's right for schoolaged kids. Not to cop out --- I just remember what I thought it'd be like to have a baby, and I wasn't shy about telling everyone what I'd be like. And I was **so wrong**. So I've learned to humbly stay off my parenting soapbox these days for kids in older stages than my own.

Corie
01-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Oh, mine isn't even 2 yet, I don't pretend to know what's right for schoolaged kids. Not to cop out --- I just remember what I thought it'd be like to have a baby, and I wasn't shy about telling everyone what I'd be like. And I was **so wrong**. So I've learned to humbly stay off my parenting soapbox these days for kids in older stages than my own.

Your post totally confused me then because it sounded like you
were okay with kids watching Glee when you mentioned that you
weren't scarred for life from the experience (from watching WRKP and
Three's Company).

SnuggleBuggles
01-14-2010, 11:06 PM
(what's up with the cheerleaders wearing their uniforms every day?) .

That is the part that annoys me most about the show!!!

Also, how in the world do they come up with so many choreographed, well thought out routines every week? Totally unlikely.

As for whether I'd let my school aged kid watch it? Yes. I think the most inappropriate stuff would go over his head. If it didn't then I'd be ok answering questions. I'd rather set him straight and have these discussions then him have them with peers later and get it all wrong. :)

Beth

Corie
01-14-2010, 11:31 PM
As for whether I'd let my school aged kid watch it? Yes. I think the most inappropriate stuff would go over his head. If it didn't then I'd be ok answering questions. I'd rather set him straight and have these discussions then him have them with peers later and get it all wrong. :)

Beth

I was skipping through parts of Glee tonight so my kids could see the
dance numbers. When I stopped forwarding the show, it stopped at a part
and it mentioned Quinn being pregnant. My 5 yr. old son heard it before I could forward it. He turned to me and said, "What??? She is pregnant?? She can't have a baby. She isn't old enough. How did she get a baby? How, Mama? Where did she
get a baby?"

wellyes
01-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Your post totally confused me then because it sounded like you
were okay with kids watching Glee when you mentioned that you
weren't scarred for life from the experience (from watching WRKP and
Three's Company).

Yeah, sorry about that. I guess it was my way of saying - heck no, Glee's not for kids, but then again I watched just as racy stuff when I was little (Dukes of Hazard anyone?) and it didn't matter one bit so I wouldnt' judge a parent who did let their kids watch. Wishywashy enough?

R2sweetboys
01-15-2010, 10:54 AM
:heartbeat:LOVE Glee!! I wish I could get DH to watch with me but it's just not his thing.

That is the part that annoys me most about the show!!!
Also, how in the world do they come up with so many choreographed, well thought out routines every week? Totally unlikely.

See, you have to suspend reality to really enjoy this show. You(collective you) can't over-analyze it . The show makes fun of everyone in one way or another. It's meant to be funny!

brismom
01-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Absolutely love the show and totally agree with R2sweetboys you have to stand back and "suspend reality" the fake pregnancy line was getting on my nerves but once I just let it be a tv show it didn't bother me so much