PDA

View Full Version : Car seat for larger 3yr old nephew

denmom2
01-13-2010, 11:17 AM
I am looking for some cheaper car seat ideas to keep my 3 yr old nephew (just turned 3) in a 5 pt harness. He is on the larger side probably 39" and just around 40#.
His father already bought him "a $50 booster from walmart"! Don't know which one. I would like to give them some 5 pt suggestions even though they tend to ignore what I say. MIL bought him a used and Expired Britax a few years ago. They still used it even after I told them it was expired!! MIL is also currently using an overhead shield seat for nephew.

He will need a new seat for his mom's car and MIL's too. I have seen a few post about the Evenflo Maestro. Would this be a good choice? Anything else in this price range?

Thanks

o_mom
01-13-2010, 12:01 PM
In order of cost (low to high):

Maestro - $75-80, harness to 50 lbs with very tall top slots
Safety 1st Apex (aka Alpha Elite) - $85 at BigLots, harness to 65 lbs REQUIRES vehicle seat or headrest behind child's head, $90 online at AlbeeBaby
Evenflo Generations 65 (make sure it says 65) - $99 at BRU harness to 65 lbs
Graco Nautilus - $110-140+, harness to 65 lbs.

The Maestro is the cheapest, but if he is 40 lbs at just turned 3, I would be concerned that 50 lbs might not be enough. However, if it is the only way to do it, it should at least get him to age 4 which is the bare minimum.

denmom2
01-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Thank you very much!

arivecchi
01-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Holy crap! My 40 inch 3 year old is nowhere near close to using a booster. Good for you for caring. :applause: You could encourage them to read and post on car-seat.org. You could also show them this:

http://www.car-safety.org/basics.html

I think a combination seat would be their best bet. Good luck!