PDA

View Full Version : ? for families who co-sleep with their toddlers

arivecchi
01-13-2010, 12:36 PM
What is your bedtime? Our 3 year old sleeps with us and he is going to bed late because it is hard for us to go to bed early. He seems to do just fine with it, but DH is afraid he is not getting enough sleep. He probably goes to bed around 9:30-10:00 and wakes up around 7:30-8:00. He naps for 2 hours in the afternoon.

Dream
01-13-2010, 01:08 PM
My DDs only 16 months and goes to sleep around 7-7.30pm. I put her down on our bed and we get into bed around 10.30pm

KrisM
01-13-2010, 01:24 PM
DS is 18 months and he goes to bed, in his crib, at 7pm. About 11pm, he wakes and comes in with me.

daisymommy
01-13-2010, 02:24 PM
All 3 of our kiddos have slept with us until they were at least 1. I always put them down between 7/7:30 pm. When they were unable to crawl out of the bed I would put them in our bed (sometimes lying down with them to nurse until they feel asleep, then sneaking out). Once they started crawling I would put them in their crib, and bring them into bed with me when I came to bed.

I also put our babes down for naps in their crib (after rocking and nursing). So it was a nice deal that when they were ready to sleep on their own when they were older, they were used to being their crib at times, and it wasn't such a tough transition.

arivecchi
01-13-2010, 02:25 PM
My DDs only 16 months and goes to sleep around 7-7.30pm. I put her down on our bed and we get into bed around 10.30pm I wish I could do this but it is a no-go with a 3 year old. :) He wants to hang out with mom and dad.

cindys
01-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Our 3yr old sleeps with us..The baby sleeps in his crib (until he realizes big brother sleeps with us and he wants to too!)

The 3yr old wont go to bed unless Daddy goes with him so bedtime varies between 10-11pm and then he sleeps until about 9am..

Makes it hard to get any action!

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...18, 3 & 1 :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

ETA: My 3yr old doesnt nap :(

arivecchi
01-13-2010, 02:32 PM
I cannot wait until DS2 is old enough to sleep with DS1. I think that will be the only way to get DS1 out of our bed! Alas, DS2 is only 11 months old.

egoldber
01-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Amy goes to sleep in her own bed, but many nights she either comes into our bed or I go sleep in hers.

TahliasMom
01-13-2010, 02:34 PM
if he's not going to bed at 7pm, cut down the nap and slowly move up the bedtime. i use to go to bed with dd at 7:30pm and when she fall asleep i sneak out. takes about 20 mins for them to go into deep sleep. then i come to bed at 10-11 and she never know the difference. if she cried i would come back to bed and comfort her. she fall asleep and i got back to whatever i was doing.
now that dd is 5 and we still co-sleep on ocassion. her bedtime is around 8pm, i read and tell her a story til she falls asleep. she knows i need mommy time. then i got to bed between 10-11pm. i am hoping the eventually dd iwll learn to fall asleep on her own but it's not a battle i want to fight right now.

also on eves that she's extra tired i start the bedtime routine early, it's not like she knows what "time" is bed time...:)

egoldber
01-13-2010, 02:39 PM
That's about 10 hours at night and a 2 hour nap. I think that's a decent amount of sleep. A little less than typical perhaps, but not bad. I think cutting back on the nap would help to make it easier for him to go to bed earlier at night though.

Dream
01-14-2010, 03:38 PM
I wish I could do this but it is a no-go with a 3 year old. :) He wants to hang out with mom and dad.

I hear you. Eventhough my DD sleeps early, she drives us crazy after midnight. We're going through major crisis with her sleep.

MommyAllison
01-14-2010, 09:41 PM
DS still co-sleeps part of the night. He goes to bed at 8 in his bed, and comes into ours sometime around 1-3am. He's always needed an early-ish bedtime. DD co-slept and always stayed up reeeeeeeeeally late, and slept in late. We moved her into her own bed partly so that she would go to bed at a decent time (9pm, now 8pm). Bedtime routine helped us immensely in getting her to bed at an earlier hour, and in her own bed. We did have to take it slow though, moving bedtime forward by 30 minutes every couple weeks. Good luck!