PDA

View Full Version : Yo Gabba Gabba and Max and Ruby...

LarsMal
01-13-2010, 02:58 PM
What the heck is up with Yo Gabba Gabba??? Are they on drugs or are we supposed to be on drugs to enjoy it?!

Also...Where are Max and Ruby's parents? I thought they lived with Grandma, but they don't.

That's all! :)

Reyadawnbringer
01-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Ahahahaha, DS LOVES Yo Gabba Gabba.... it is the ONLY TV I let him watch.

I seriously wonder about the people who do that show though.

AnnieW625
01-13-2010, 03:04 PM
DD loves Yo Gabba Gabba as does DH. It's pretty creative I think. I think that the guys on the Upside Down Show are even stranger than that.

We avoided Max & Ruby for a long time, but now occaisionally on Sunday afternoons DD has seen it. I have only seen their Grandma on one promo during the holidays. They kind of annoy me, but it's better than Special Agent Oso on Disney Channel so I don't fight it. It's not her favorite or anything compared to Dora, or Backyardigans so I am very thankfull for that!

citymama
01-13-2010, 03:07 PM
DD loves Max and Ruby. I asked her yesterday where M&R's parents were. She looked at me and said, "it's just pretend, mama!" So I guess now we know. ;)

lizzywednesday
01-13-2010, 03:12 PM
I watched the Yo Gabba Gabba float on the Macy's Parade this past Thanksgiving and noticed that Baby-on-the-way was bouncing around to the song they played.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with that. It could always be worse.

BigDog
01-13-2010, 03:15 PM
We love Yo Gabba Gabba. I'll even stop and watch it if I'm channel surfing and it's on. DS also loves Max & Ruby but it drives me crazy because Ruby is so whiny.

LarsMal
01-13-2010, 03:19 PM
DD loves Max and Ruby. I asked her yesterday where M&R's parents were. She looked at me and said, "it's just pretend, mama!" So I guess now we know. ;)

Well, that explains it!!

MommyofAmaya
01-13-2010, 03:20 PM
I LOVE Yo Gabba Gabba. I did have an affinity for raving in another life though.
DD loves Max & Ruby. We humor each other by watching the other.

I did notice Brad Pitt dressed with the orange wig/jam box for Halloween this year.

LarsMal
01-13-2010, 03:23 PM
We love Yo Gabba Gabba. I'll even stop and watch it if I'm channel surfing and it's on. DS also loves Max & Ruby but it drives me crazy because Ruby is so whiny.

My kids are just getting into Yo Gabba Gabba. It's starting to grow on me a little, but there are still times that I watch and think, "What are these guys on?!?"

Ruby's whiny voice drives me crazy, but I'd probably be whiny, too, if I didn't have a mama and papa bunny to help me out! ;)

alexsmommy
01-13-2010, 03:27 PM
LOL. I once described Yo Gabba Gabba as having writers that "may have had more than a theoretcial knowledge of recreational drug use at one point in their lives."
Having said that, I actually don't mind it. Every show has a pretty strong, clear message/theme, there's music and DS2 loves it. Better than M&R by a million miles in my book. I cannot stand Ruby. So I'm glad DS2 chose YGG as his current obsession.

jamesmom
01-13-2010, 03:37 PM
The kids and I love Yo Gabba Gabba - it's fun and different, and the music is catchy. I didn't like it at first, but must admit it's grown on me. I can't stand Max and Ruby though, I guess it's because Ruby is so whiny! Thankfully the kids usually don't choose to watch it, not that we have time to watch anything other than the shows we tivo.

hillview
01-13-2010, 03:52 PM
We have the same issue. Why doesn't disney have toddler kid shows on at 6 pm??

Yo gabba gabba grows on you (DH HATES it). Max and Ruby is annoying but harmless IMO. I don't like it. I NEVER wondered where the parents were ... humm maybe I need to pay more attention :)

/hillary

hellokitty
01-13-2010, 03:54 PM
I have no comment about YGG, b/c we have never seen it before. However, it cracks me up that every few months there ends up with a M&R thread where everyone wants to know where the heck their parents are. We can't do M&R in our household, b/c DS1 decides he'll just talk in repetitive one word phrases like Max and DS2 decides to be bossy and obnoxious like Ruby. I do like the theme song, it's very catchy.

maestramommy
01-13-2010, 03:58 PM
I've only seen Max and Ruby a couple of times, and I've never seen Yo Gabba Gabba. My feeling is that these kinds of shows are more fun with no parents around. I mean really, do any of these kids shows have parents around for more than a few seconds? Even Dora has a couple of episodes with her parents and that's it.

Wait, Ni hao Kai lan's grandpa is a major role, which is a big departure in my mind. Could be cultural.

SnuggleBuggles
01-13-2010, 04:01 PM
I was shocked the 1st time I saw Yo Gabba Gabba. Too frenetic, way too weird- totally made for someone on drugs by someone who took drugs. :) When Brad Pitt dressed up like DJ Rock on Halloween the cation said that "unless you have kids or are a stoner you might not know who he is supposed to be." The stoner part made me laugh. It has grown on me. And, it is a great show to put on when you have had a few margaritas. :) Ds2 loves that show and it's really not too bad.

I despise Max and Ruby with a passion and we do not watch it here. Max is a menace and I can't stand that.

Beth

MamaMolly
01-13-2010, 04:04 PM
YGG has grown on me. It is harmless enough, and WAYYYYYYYY better than DD's past crack-tastic obsession: LazyTown. I figure it is designed for little kids anyway and just tune it out for the most part. And I prefer Max and Ruby to Dora *any* day. IMO both Dora and the Map are way more whiny than Ruby.

dtim
01-13-2010, 04:06 PM
I have these same thoughts about Yo Gabba, what's up with a grow-up DJ playing with dolls on a banquet table? Totally strange show, and yet DS loves it. And I find myself dancing and singing along. DS is only freaked out by the kids who introduce themselves and say "I like to dance". When they come on he holds up his hands and says, "No! No!"

hellokitty
01-13-2010, 04:08 PM
YGG has grown on me. It is harmless enough, and WAYYYYYYYY better than DD's past crack-tastic obsession: LazyTown. I figure it is designed for little kids anyway and just tune it out for the most part. And I prefer Max and Ruby to Dora *any* day. IMO both Dora and the Map are way more whiny than Ruby.

Oh my, I remember Lazytown. That show used to FREAK out DS1 so badly, he would be running around crying and in hysterics if he even caught a glimpse of it. I honestly don't blame him, b/c I think that the characters look very sinister in their weird masks.

Reyadawnbringer
01-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Oh my, I remember Lazytown. That show used to FREAK out DS1 so badly, he would be running around crying and in hysterics if he even caught a glimpse of it. I honestly don't blame him, b/c I think that the characters look very sinister in their weird masks.

omg, I totally forgot about LazyTown... that show creeps me out!

pinay
01-13-2010, 04:13 PM
We used to love YGG in our household, but its popularity has waned and DD is now addicted to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. We must not have the TV on when M&R are on.

elizabethkott
01-13-2010, 04:17 PM
This is so funny, b/c J is suddenly obsessed with both YGG and M&R!
In my mind, anything, ANYthing ANYTHING is better than Cailiou! I hate that little four year old bald headed whiney kid with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

veronica
01-13-2010, 04:21 PM
DD loves Max and Ruby. She is older than DS and has been calling DS Max for months now......his real name is no where near Max so people look at us all crazy when we all end up referring to DS as Max!

clc053103
01-13-2010, 04:26 PM
When DS was younger and YGG was just coming on, a commercial for it would show during Jacks Big Music Show (the greatest show ever, IMO) and DS would scream, cry and hide. Now he isn't afraid but rarely watches it.

I think it's insane but has really great messages. "Don't bite your friends"- Who else could put that to music?

lilycat88
01-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Max and Ruby's parents are down the street having cocktails with Dora's parents and discussing how they could have possibly raised such annoying children.

Reyadawnbringer
01-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Max and Ruby's parents are down the street having cocktails with Dora's parents and discussing how they could have possibly raised such annoying children.

:hysterical:

lowrioh
01-13-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm just waiting for Ruby to go postal on Max one day....he is such a little $hit...

Laurel
01-13-2010, 05:10 PM
One day I noticed that all the characters on YGG look like sex toys and I can't watch it anymore without thinking inappropriate things. Thank goodness my kids aren't big fans.

Max and Ruby's lack of parents is a constant discussion around here. My kids have come up with some pretty good explanations for where they are, but seem to be leaning towards Max and Ruby being orphans who live on their own.

Fairy
01-13-2010, 05:21 PM

Except at least you DO see Dora's parents on occasion. Max & Ruby's? Even at bedtime they're just plain old MIA. Yuck. DS loves this show, unfortunately.

YGG is banned from this house. Never ever ever allowed to have this on in our house. Higher than kites those people.

g-mama
01-13-2010, 05:36 PM
One time my 4yo woke up really early on a Saturday morning so I flipped the TV on for him while dh and I slept. Yo Gabba Gabba was on. After a while, dh rolled over and said, "I don't remember dropping acid last night but this sounds like what I think it would feel like. WTF?!?"

AnnieW625
01-13-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm just waiting for Ruby to go postal on Max one day....he is such a little $hit...

Alright I tend to agree with you on that, but the episode we saw on Sunday dealt with Ruby trying to play soccer and Max trying to play with his robots in the same yard space. I actually sided with Max on this one, Ruby was just plain annoying.

Wait, Ni hao Kai lan's grandpa is a major role, which is a big departure in my mind. Could be cultural.

We've had conversations about that one too, DH and I. He thinks in a sad way it's a protest of Chinese culture because boys are the more preferred sex. He thinks that Kai Lan was sent to live with her Grandpa because she was not wanted at home. DD thankfully doesn't get it.

mom2one
01-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Okay, had to post. I noticed in an episode when they went upstairs, that Mom and Dad don't even have a bedroom at the house. There is also never any mention of the parents. Wonder whey they felt to even have a picture of them up in the house.

My question that my DH and I have always wondered - Why is Caliou bald?

LarsMal
01-13-2010, 06:12 PM
I think it's insane but has really great messages. "Don't bite your friends"- Who else could put that to music?

We saw that one a week or so ago...bite bite bite, munch munch munch...or whatever it was. I was cracking up!

zukeypur
01-13-2010, 06:12 PM
I love YGG! Ava calls it Yo Yo Gab. I love most of the music, and I love that they play so many different kinds of music. The messages are simple and direct, and having a song to go with different situations that arise in toddler/preschool ages is nice. We frequently say "try it, you'll like it" or "there's a party in my tummy" to get Ava to eat. Sad, I know, but it works. I also am a HUGE DEVO fan, so I love that the "let's draw a picture today" dude is a DEVO member.

LarsMal
01-13-2010, 06:14 PM
In my mind, anything, ANYthing ANYTHING is better than Cailiou! I hate that little four year old bald headed whiney kid with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

Ugh...Caillou...that has become an OnDemand request around here. Rosie...hehehe...Caillou...hehehe- makes me crazy!

Now I have the song stuck in my head.

Why is he bald?!

LarsMal
01-13-2010, 06:15 PM
i have these same thoughts about yo gabba, what's up with a grow-up dj playing with dolls on a banquet table?

Too funny!

MolieMuts
01-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Did anyone catch the Yo Gabba Gabba with Jack Black in it? That was hysterical.

elektra
01-13-2010, 07:31 PM
DD LOVES Caillou too. So whiny and annoying. No idea why the kid does not have hair.

SnuggleBuggles
01-13-2010, 10:56 PM

That was absolutely fabulous!!

Beth

g-mama
01-13-2010, 11:02 PM

YES!!! I have seen it three times. Even when my 4yo was watching it, he kept saying, "Mom, that guy looks craaaaazy!" It is totally hysterical.

Corie
01-13-2010, 11:04 PM
The few times my kids have seen parts of Yo Gabba Gabba, they said it was weird.

I agree. I cannot stand the show. (The same with Lazytown)

deborah_r
01-13-2010, 11:26 PM
I really like Yo Gabba Gabba. "There's a party in my tummy, so yummy, so yummy!" My kids love Max and Ruby. I recognize that it could be a worse show they want to watch all the time, and it has its good points, but can't say I enjoy it much. Max does make me laugh sometimes.

jenfromnj
01-13-2010, 11:32 PM
We frequently say "try it, you'll like it" or "there's a party in my tummy" to get Ava to eat. Sad, I know, but it works. I also am a HUGE DEVO fan, so I love that the "let's draw a picture today" dude is a DEVO member.

DH downloaded the CD for DS, and he keeps mentioning that, given the trippiness of the show, the "try it, you'll like it" song might secretly be for more than just fruits and veggies, IYKWIM.

As for M&R, I just noticed today that several of my Facebook friends have joined the group "Where the He!! Are Max and Ruby's Parents?", so it's apparently not just us, LOL.

MamaMolly
01-13-2010, 11:40 PM
One day I noticed that all the characters on YGG look like sex toys and I can't watch it anymore without thinking inappropriate things. Thank goodness my kids aren't big fans.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Laurel you are a nut. Ok, just so you know right after I read this YGG came on and I gotta say I sat there the whole time thinking of this thread. And just FYI, you are MUCH more well versed in...adult novelties than I am. The red one was easy to figure out, the pink one, ok, took me a minute. But the green guy?

Thanks for the laughs! :)

Laurel
01-14-2010, 01:06 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Laurel you are a nut. Ok, just so you know right after I read this YGG came on and I gotta say I sat there the whole time thinking of this thread. And just FYI, you are MUCH more well versed in...adult novelties than I am. The red one was easy to figure out, the pink one, ok, took me a minute. But the green guy?

Thanks for the laughs! :)

Ok, ok, I've got nothing specific in mind for the green guy. But they all have that vibe going on (pun intended). After living in San Francisco and going to the Folsom Street Fair, I think have seen every adult toy there is.