PDA

View Full Version : Some DVC and resort questions--

nightbird1103
01-13-2010, 03:10 PM
DH's aunt and uncle offered to get us a hotel for a trip we're planning for next Feb using their DVC points. We stayed with them at OKW in a very nice 2br suite when we had just one child- I think that's their 'home' resort. Now we've got 3 kids (6,4,and 4)and it'll be just us.
I thought the place was very nice and the kitchen was a lifesaver (dd was only 16 months at the time). I do recall very long bus trips to the parks though.
If we can buy the meal plan through the DVC and don't need the kitchen, I'd rather be in a smaller room closer to the MK. I don't know if this is even possible.
We're going to have a double stroller and the thought of a long bus ride seems unappealing.

Any input would be appreciated.

Michele

egoldber
01-13-2010, 03:18 PM
If their home resort is OKW, they can book up to 11 months in advance. It is less than that in advance for non home resorts.

Consider staying in Beach Club Villas or Boardwalk Villas. You can walk to either Epcot or DHS, which is a huge plus. (There is also boat transport, but generally walking is significantly faster.) Our home resort is Boardwalk Villas and we love the location. BCV is similar, but we bought BWV because it was cheaper.

ETA: You can also stay at Villas at Wilderness Lodge, which has boat service to the MK.

Using points to stay at non-DVC resorts is generally not cost effective.

clc053103
01-13-2010, 10:30 PM
To add to Beth's (and agree with her assessment!)

You can book other DVC properties I believe 7 months in advance.

Definitely not a good "deal" to use DVC points for 2 rooms - here's an example using points for standard view rooms (was on the DVC site working on our next trip so I am using numbers from the site!):
a night in a 2 BR at OKW in early Feb is 32 points
In comparison, room at the Poly in early feb is 41 pts a night (2 rooms - 81 pts)
a room at Carribean Beach is 18 points a night (2 rooms - 36 points)

You will get a better deal at a different DVC property where you get more room, a full kitchen, and a washer/dryer (there's really nothing like returning from vacation with a suitcase of clean clothes!) A room at BWV is 35 a night at that season, so you could purchase a few extra points if needed to be at the back entrance of Epcot and the shortest walk to DHS. You could also consider Bay Lake Tower (our home resort) though there are reports that owners at other resorts are having difficulties getting rooms at the 6 month mark- but worth consideration if you want to be close to MK (40 points a night).

You are very lucky, your aunt and uncle are so generous! Have fun planning and please post questions b/c some of us disney junkies love to read them!

las710
01-13-2010, 10:59 PM
We are in the process of buying into Bay Lake Tower and my understanding is that you can book 7 months in advance at non-home resorts. In November, we rented points via an owner and stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge and I could not agree with you more about the inconvenience of travelling with a double stroller and doing the bus thing. That is why we are buying at BLT -- you can take the monorail (and step right on with your fully expanded double stroller) or walk to the Magic Kingdom. In addition to the convenience of the location, the 1-bd units at BLT sleep 5 -- they have a sofa bed and pull out chair in the living room. It is pricier than all the other resorts, but if you were to do a 1-bd unit, it may be similar in cost and a TON more convenient with kids of that age.

I'm looking at my 2010 point chart and here are the point requirements for Feb. 1-15, 2010 (cheaper than the second half of the month):
OKW 2-bd is 32 pt/weeknight; 52 pts Fri.-Sat.
BLT 2-bd Std. view is 40/weeknight; 59 pts. Fri.-Sat.
BLT 1-bd std. view is 31 pts./weeknight; 47 pts. Fri.-Sat.

The 2011 charts are not out yet, but they should be somewhat similar.

If your relatives don't have enough points, you could always look into renting one or two nights from another owner or purchasing the points and having them transferred to your aunt/uncle's account. I think points are going for about $10/point currently on www.disboards.com.

Hope that helps : )

Lisa

clc053103
01-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Lisa, I see as a new DVC'er like myself, you like to play with the points too!!! LOL! but it does a lot to illustrate how you can work with points at a different DVC property!!

egoldber
01-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Just as an aside, to stretch your points, you can pay OOP for a weekend at a cheaper resort (value or moderate) and then transfer to the DVC for the week. We have done this any times and it is really very easy to do. Disney takes care of transferring your bags and it's quite easy.

malibelle
01-14-2010, 01:41 PM
We are DVC owners and yes you can book your home resort at 11mos out and non home at 7 mos out. We always book Sun-Friday when the points are the cheapest. You can book the dining plan with DVC, its a great option. You pay for it when you check in but you have to put it on your reservations in advance.

We have our first child on the way in April but I can't wait to take him!