PDA

View Full Version : Beef, Dutch oven, dinner... Help!!

JenaW
01-13-2010, 03:49 PM
I have a large beef roast defrosting. I'd like to sear it whole ( or in two chunks - I'm too lazy to cube it and brown individually) and then braise it in the Dutch oven in beer or wine into something edible for dinner. Any good recipes or ideas??

lil_acorn
01-13-2010, 04:45 PM
sautee some onions & carrots, add a cup of red wine, add a can of pureed tomatoes, beef broth, thyme, salt, pepper, put the seared beef back in. Put in the oven for 3-4 hours. Best made one day ahead so you can skim off the solidified fat. Reduce the sauce to thicken and serve..yum! I have some braised beef in the fridge right now!

kristenk
01-13-2010, 04:48 PM
This doesn't meet the no-cubing requirement, but I love this recipe: Beef Daube Provencal from Cooking Light http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=780341

DD even likes it.

m448
01-13-2010, 04:51 PM
this is our family favorite although depending on how big the hunk of beef is, cooking takes a while

http://maricucu.blogspot.com/2009/10/so-about-that-pot-roast.html

urquie
01-13-2010, 04:56 PM
this is the best roast i've ever had, from america's test kitchen.

Simple Pot Roast with Root Vegetables
Serves 6 to 8
5 hours 20 minutes (4+ hours simmering)

1 boneless chuck roast about 3 ½ lbs
salt and ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 medium onion, chopped medium
1 small carrot, chopped medium--more can be added if you prefer
1 small celery rib, chopped medium

2 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons sugar

1 cup canned chicken broth
1 cup canned beef broth
1 sprig fresh thyme -- can use 1 tablespoon dried thyme
1-1 ½ cups water

1 ½ lbs small red potatoes (about 9), halved if larger than 1 ½ inches in diameter
1 ½ lbs carrots, peeled and sliced ½ inches thick
1 lb parsnips, peeled and sliced 1/2inch thick

1/4 cup dry red wine

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Thoroughly pat roast dry with paper towels; sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Brown roast thoroughly on all sides, reducing heat if fat begins to smoke, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer roast to large plate; set aside.

Reduce heat to medium; add onion, carrot and celery to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and sugar; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth & thyme, scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits.

Return roast and any accumulated juices to pot; add enough water to come halfway up sides of roast. Bring liquid to simmer over medium heat. Then wrap pot lid in foil (it seals the gap between the lid & the pot to keep in the steam), and cover the pan tightly with the lid. Transfer pot to oven. Cook, turning roast every 30 minutes, for 3 ½ hours.

Add the potatoes, sliced carrots and parsnips, submerging them in the liquid. Continue to cook in the oven until the beef and vegetable are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Transfer roast to carving board; tent with foil to keep warm. Transfer the vegetables to a serving platter and cover with foil to keep warm. Let the liquid in pot to settle for 5 minutes, then use wide spoon to skim fat off surface. Add red wine and simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Cut meat into ½ inch-thick slices, or pull apart into large pieces; transfer meat to warmed serving plate and pour about 1/2 cup sauce over meat. Serve, passing remaining sauce & veggies separately.

http://www.recipezaar.com/37554 (http://www.recipezaar.com/37554) this link is the recipe for the same pot roast, minus the veggies added at the end. i got the original recipe from the america's test kitchen cookbook and used the link to make it faster to type the recipe :)

my changes -
doubled the garlic and veggies added at the begining
added wine instead of water
didn't have parsnips - used extra carrots
used two large baking potatoes

newg
01-13-2010, 05:00 PM
you could probably put it in your crock-pot with some water and italian seasoning............I think my MIL does this and it's pretty yummy.

boolady
01-13-2010, 05:42 PM
This doesn't meet the no-cubing requirement, but I love this recipe: Beef Daube Provencal from Cooking Light http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=780341

DD even likes it.

This is IN my crockpot right now. Should be just about done. Great minds think alike, I guess. :)

daisymommy
01-13-2010, 05:59 PM
m448--beautifully done food blogging! :bighand: I was sooo drooling over your pot roast! Such nice pictures, and great writing as well. Your blog is one to watch!

m448
01-13-2010, 06:28 PM
thanks although I just posted the link since it's quicker than retyping. That recipe is a blend of the cooks' illustrated recipe and the one from Ina Garten. It's truly a favorite meal around here that my husband could eat on a daily basis if I let him.

kristenk
01-13-2010, 06:51 PM
This is IN my crockpot right now. Should be just about done. Great minds think alike, I guess. :)

We're having the leftovers tomorrow night. :)

Amy, how do you make it in the crockpot? I see that it's an option (although the online recipe says after step 2 and doesn't actually separate the recipes into steps...) but I've never made it that way. It annoys me that I'd have to use a pot to brown the meat and the crockpot!