PDA

View Full Version : Convertible seat for a one year old

MissyAg94
01-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Can anyone recommend a convertible seat for a 26 lb. one year old? The baby is currently riding in a seat in which he is over the weight limit. A family member wants to buy a seat for him. The parents do want to keep him RFing per rec from their ped (YEA!) An economical choice would be appreciated.

lorinick
01-13-2010, 04:05 PM
The Graco MyRide is a good price at 159.99 retail. It has a rear facing limit of 40lb. It's a good choice.

o_mom
01-13-2010, 04:12 PM
The cheapest option is the Cosco Scenera, which rear-faces to 35 lbs, FF to 40 lbs. It is not the tallest seat out there, but for the price ($40-50) it does very well. The downside is that they will most likely need another harnessed seat after this, but they have 2-3 years to save the $75-100 for it. :)

A slight step up is the Safety 1st Uptown/Avenue - I saw one for $65 at BigLots this week so check there. It has taller top slots and EPS foam lining. It will last longer and for a lighterweight child, may get them close to a safe booster age, but again, they will have 3 years to save.

Going from there, the Evenflo Triumph Advance ($110+) is taller and has a 50 lb weight limit and should last all but the largest of kids to booster age (which a 26 lb 1 yo doesn't sound huge).

One last thought - the Evenflo Symphony 40 is currently being clearanced at Target - if they could score one of those in the $65-75 range it would be another good choice. Full price it isn't going to last as long as the Triumph Advance, but at clearance prices it is a decent choice.

ETA: All of these are rear-facing to 35 lbs and will last most kids to that weight.

lorinick
01-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Do they have a price point? I don't recommend the two seats Omom recommanded since they won't last as long and df will most likely still need another harnessed conv. seat.

o_mom
01-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Do they have a price point? I don't recommend the two seats Omom recommanded since they won't last as long and df will most likely still need another harnessed conv. seat.

No, they won't last as long as more expensive seats (the Scenera and Uptown is what I assume you are referring to - the EFTA will), but for an economical choice, they will last an average-size baby such as this one for 2-3 years and they are tall enough to last rear-facing to 35 lbs as well. Knowing that going in, they can plan to save ahead for another harnessed combo seat when that time comes.

MissyAg94
01-13-2010, 05:35 PM
We were thinking something in the $100 range. Thanks so much for the suggestions! We wanted something to get the baby out of the bucket that he has clearly outgrown. Hopefully in the next few years the parents will be in a better financial position and can afford a new seat themselves.

o_mom
01-13-2010, 05:39 PM
We were thinking something in the $100 range. Thanks so much for the suggestions! We wanted something to get the baby out of the bucket that he has clearly outgrown. Hopefully in the next few years the parents will be in a better financial position and can afford a new seat themselves.

If they can go just over $100, the EFTA is on Amazon for $107 w/free shipping. That would really last them the longest for the money and should get them to a good booster age.

vonfirmath
01-13-2010, 06:40 PM
The cheapest option is the Cosco Scenera, which rear-faces to 35 lbs, FF to 40 lbs. It is not the tallest seat out there, but for the price ($40-50) it does very well. The downside is that they will most likely need another harnessed seat after this, but they have 2-3 years to save the $75-100 for it. :)

Another downside of the Scenera is how difficult it is to install rear-facing.

We had one for a while. If we had kept it, I was going to end up flipping my son (then 20-ish months) forward while riding in my car. Even when we took it to a clinic to "learn" how to install it ourselves, it took the tech A 5=10 minutes and a lot of grunting and pulling (and multiple tries) to get it in tightly. When she undid it and let me do it, I could not get it in tight enough and she ended up "finishing" it for me... but the first time I uninstalled the seat, it would have ended up reinstalled forward-facing because I could not get it installed rear-facing tight enough to suit me.

(Yes, I had a pool noodle, but no LATCH. Don't know if that would have made a difference.) The replacement seat has been uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times since then since this is the seat that we use as a "spare" when going in other cars/the airplane/etc.

AnnieW625
01-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Evenflo Triumph Advance. We had the prior model Triumph 5 and DD loved that seat more than the $$$$ Britax Marathon. I'd also look at the Britax Roundabout 50, and the The First Years True Fit. All three seats can be found for around $120 to $190 online.

goldenpig
01-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Economical choices that are also good for extended rear-facing include Graco My Ride 65 and the First Years True Fit Premier. I think the Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL is also mentioned as a good ERF seat, but is very tall and heavy and tricky to install rear-facing in a lot of smaller vehicles. The Britax Boulevard or Advocate are great seats too and easy to install (I have an Advocate and like it), but pricey.

I just bought two TFP's for my daughter who is outgrowing her Britax Diplomats. Albee Baby has the cranberry color on sale for $157 using the 17% off code Jan2010:
http://www.albeebaby.com/the-first-years-true-fit-premier-convertible-car-seat-cranberry.html

Graco has a 40 lb rear-facing weight limit (5 lb more than most other carseats), but the TFP has an anti-rebound bar which helps to prevent the seat rebounding into the back of the seat during a crash. The Britax and Radians have rear-facing tethers which do the same thing.

You can find more information and post questions about carseats and about rear-facing at the forums at http://www.car-seat.org/
and user-inputted successful installs at http://www.carseatdata.org/
and ease-of-use car seat ratings at NHTSA:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/template.MAXIMIZE/menuitem.9f8c7d6359e0e9bbbf30811060008a0c/?javax.portlet.tpst=4427b997caacf504a8bdba101891ef 9a_ws_MX&javax.portlet.prp_4427b997caacf504a8bdba101891ef9a _viewID=detail_view&itemID=c57b24b3b0d55110VgnVCM1000002fd17898RCRD&viewType=standard

GraceH
01-13-2010, 09:58 PM
The Graco MyRide is a good price at 159.99 retail. It has a rear facing limit of 40lb. It's a good choice.

:yeahthat:
... I seen the 'Deco' print, which is pretty neutral and plush, at BRU for $129.99 and if you have one of those 20% off coupons that are out right now...:thumbsup:

MissyAg94
01-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks, everyone. I sent the list to the relative who is buying the seat. She is very appreciative as she has no kids and didn't know where to start looking for advice.