PDA

View Full Version : Please advise: travel to Mexico at 29-30 weeks pregnant

citymama
01-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Hi all,
I have a fully paid invitation to a conference in a beautiful part of Mexico next month, when I will be at around 29-30 weeks. DH and I had been talking about a "babymoon" at around the same time, so my thought was that DH and DD could join me on the trip or meet me there, and we could take a week's vacation after. We're excited about it. But I'm starting to get a little nervous about what happens if I go into early labor there (unlikely but obviously not impossible).

Here's the deal: we would be near La Paz and Puerto Vallarta. I can get a direct flight back from PV but not La Paz - it would be a 10-12 hr trip with a stopover. I have no idea about medical care in either place, but it would need to be top-notch for me to feel comfortable about this. With baby #2, I am going to attempt a VBAC, but my OBs think the chances of my success might be around 50% based on complications during labor with DD1. So there's a 50% chance I will need a c/s. And of course if I went into labor that early, the baby would be a very small preemie and need NICU care (DD was 5 and a half pounds born at 42 weeks!).

WWYD? Am I being needlessly paranoid, considering DD was post-term and I had a very long labor with her? Maybe I would have time to fly back to the States if I went into labor. Most likely, I will not go into labor so early. Do these cities have good quality hospitals? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Momof3Labs
01-13-2010, 05:12 PM
I've heard horrendous stories about Americans hospitalized in Mexico while on vacation. And you'd have to look into whether you'd have health insurance for something like that. Trip insurance doesn't always cover these things.

Honestly, no way would I chance it. And if you go into labor, you'd be nuts (IMO) to hop on a plane back to the states. What if you delivered in flight - with such a tiny baby?

citymama
01-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks Lori. That's what I was afraid I would hear - and I would likely give the same advice. I don't know what I was thinking when I agreed to do this. I'm trying to find out more about hospitals in both places.

AnnieW625
01-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Oh yes I would if your doctor thinks it's okay, and I think I would only stay for the conference and then return home. Is the conference in PV or La Paz? I'd feel much more confortable being closest to the PV airport for that direct flight home. Also at the conference I'd feel very comfortable at the hotel. I don't much else about Mexico as I've only gone to Rosarito, but a week at a paid conference right just sounds just devine.

alexsmommy
01-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Personally, I wouldn't -but I had a pretty nasty bleeding episode when 9 weeks pregnant in PV. It started in the airport waiting for our return flight. Which was cancelled. So here I am, potentially miscarrying in PV. It was the last direct US flight that day. I became very nervous when the airline attendant bumped us to a flight into Mexico City that was leaving immediately because he said it was better for me to be stuck there if the situation escalated and I needed to go to a hospital. Then, on that flight, I needed to tell the flight attendant because she noticed our worried looks and asked if everything was ok. We told her what was up and she moved us where I could put my feet up and she suggested that when we got into MC that if we couldn't get a flight home, that we try for a flight into any major border city in the US just to get us to US healthcare for the night (however, she did go ask another attendant to make a list of hospitals in MC she would suggest and what ones she would NOT suggest if we had to go there)
Thankfully, that pregnancy resulted in DS1, but it was terrifying. Now that I have also had a preemie - no WAY. I don't even like to travel far from home past 25 weeks (viability) because if I did have a preemie hospitalized, I cannot imagine the added stress and expense of having to be away from home for that long, not to mention no support system.
Take my opinion for what it is, it is clearly tinged by my personal experience which is not typical.

daisymommy
01-13-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm going to second everything that Lori said. Would you really want to be in labor on a 10-12 hour airline flight?

megv
01-13-2010, 06:31 PM
I would have to vote no. I would honestly worry more about the possibility of horrible GI viruses - it seems that everyone I know who travels to Mexico winds up with some intestinal issue, and that would not be fun while pregnant.

If you want to go on a babymoon, you could still go to Florida or California if you want sun & sand (as well as US health care!)

citymama
01-13-2010, 06:52 PM
If you want to go on a babymoon, you could still go to Florida or California if you want sun & sand (as well as US health care!)

We live in CA and it's sunny but cold in Feb! And I hear FL is having record cold temps too (lizards falling off trees and frost in Key West - what is going on?)

Maybe it'll have to be Hawaii (I'm guessing Oahu has good medical care), or wait until the baby is actually here!

elektra
01-13-2010, 07:14 PM
I went to Hawaii at about 30 weeks. My dr. ok'd it and I wasn't worried.
Mexico is a bit different but I might go at 30 weeks.

kransden
01-13-2010, 07:18 PM
I had a friend do exactly what you are proposing, but to be fair this was in the early 90s. She got an intestinal virus and lost the baby. So if you go please be very careful what you eat and drink.

nov04
01-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Absolutely not. For all the reasons already mentioned.

Tondi G
01-13-2010, 08:00 PM
I have a friend who delivered a preemie in Mexico. It was a conference for work and she went into premature labor. Her experience was eye opening. Despite having just had a C-section and her son being premature she was required to provide most of his care while in the hospital. The silver lining was her son had a heart problem and in the US it would have meant open heart surgery. I guess there is a medication that can be used (not FDA approved) to close holes in their heart. Her son didn't end up needing heart surgery as a result of being able to use this medication because they were in Mexico.

That said. I would talk to your doctor. If they think it's ok then make your decision. I personally would rather attempt a trip to Hawaii instead... just to be on the safe side!

smilequeen
01-13-2010, 08:39 PM
OK, perhaps I am just too lax, but unless there was some reason I thought I was at risk of delivering that early I would go. I would be cautious about what I ate and drank, but I would do that if I wasn't pregnant. Bottled water, safe restaurants. Heck, I'm 6 weeks pregnant and I'm on my way to Puerto Vallarta in 2 days.

Aishe
01-13-2010, 08:47 PM
The last time I went to Mexico I was sick for nine months - that's right, as long as a pregnancy - afterwards. I wouldn't risk it. I am admittedly kind of a nervous nellie, though.

catroddick
01-13-2010, 08:48 PM
I just wouldn't chance it. Mexico freaks me out anymore. It's no place for a pregant lady in my mind.

dcmom2b3
01-13-2010, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't, but I'm hyper-cautious. In addition to getting your doctor's advice, you might contact the medical officers at the US consulates in/near those cities to get the skinny on medical facilities there.

citymama
01-14-2010, 04:08 PM
OK, ladies, you have me worried. I think rightly so. I'll ask my doc, but assuming she shares your views, I'll have to bow out of the conference. :(We'll either go to Oahu/Hawaii or elsewhere for our babymoon, or go once the baby gets here. Not as relaxing, but we will both have time off from work!

egoldber
01-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Well, I would go. We have gone on a beach type vacation in late second/early third trimester with every pregnancy, including St. Vincent & the Grenadines and Bonaire. Drink bottled water and don't eat salad. :)

With Amy, which was a high risk pregnancy, we didn't leave the country, but we went to a beach near Charleston, SC.

ezcc
01-14-2010, 04:35 PM
I would probably go. We've traveled almost yearly to Mexico (last 2 years to PV area) and haven't gotten sick. I think Puerto Vallarta does have a good hospital (there are so many retirees there).

jgenie
01-14-2010, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't chance it - there will be other conferences in your future I'm sure.

mom2binsd
01-14-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm about 99.9999% positive they aren't letting a women in labor on a plane....that would be riskier than having the baby there.

I'd talk to your OB and see what he/she says.