PDA

View Full Version : anyone make ratatouille before??

newg
01-13-2010, 04:58 PM
for some reason it sounds really good right now........bland enough for my sensitive prego tummy.........but full of flavor...........

Is this easy to make?? I usually have DD (2) hanging on my legs for most of dinner prepertaions, or I'm pretty tired and don't have the energy for long, drawn our meal preperations..............so, not so complicated would be nice.......!!

any tricks to making it??

thanks!!

Fairy
01-13-2010, 05:03 PM
The only trick is getting it out of the cellophane. Once ya do that, just stick it in the DVD player and go!

eta --> Tee hee!

willow33
01-13-2010, 05:06 PM
This is the recipe I use but it can be fairly labor-intensive cutting up all the veggies. It's very filling and I serve it over rice. I love it!! :)

Ratatouille With Butternut Squash

1/3 cup olive oil
2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced to yield 2 1/2 cups
1 teaspoon cumin seed
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons sea salt, more as needed
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1 eggplant, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced to yield 6 1/2 cups
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced to yield 5 cups
2 medium zucchini, trimmed and sliced into rounds to yield 2 cups
1 yellow bell pepper, cored and sliced into strips to yield 1 1/2 cups
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes.

1. Place a large, wide pan over medium heat, and add oil. When it's hot, add onions, cumin, coriander and 2 teaspoons salt. Sauté until onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, and sauté for 1 minute.

2. Add eggplant and squash. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add zucchini, bell pepper and tomatoes. Stir well, and reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.

3. Remove from heat, and adjust salt to taste. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving. If desired, cover and refrigerate, reheating gently before serving.

Yield: 6 servings.

newg
01-13-2010, 06:24 PM
The only trick is getting it out of the cellophane. Once ya do that, just stick it in the DVD player and go!

eta --> Tee hee!

LOL :ROTFLMAO:

It took me a minute to get what you were saying..........I was thinking........you cover it with plastic while cooking.....????

When I told DH that I was thinking of making Ratatouille.........he looked at me like I was crazy until I explained it was a real dish!

newg
01-13-2010, 06:27 PM
This is the recipe I use but it can be fairly labor-intensive cutting up all the veggies. It's very filling and I serve it over rice. I love it!! :)

Ratatouille With Butternut Squash

1/3 cup olive oil
2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced to yield 2 1/2 cups
1 teaspoon cumin seed
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons sea salt, more as needed
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1 eggplant, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced to yield 6 1/2 cups
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced to yield 5 cups
2 medium zucchini, trimmed and sliced into rounds to yield 2 cups
1 yellow bell pepper, cored and sliced into strips to yield 1 1/2 cups
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes.

1. Place a large, wide pan over medium heat, and add oil. When it's hot, add onions, cumin, coriander and 2 teaspoons salt. Sauté until onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, and sauté for 1 minute.

2. Add eggplant and squash. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add zucchini, bell pepper and tomatoes. Stir well, and reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.

3. Remove from heat, and adjust salt to taste. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving. If desired, cover and refrigerate, reheating gently before serving.

Yield: 6 servings.

thank you!
I figure I can cut up the veggies ahead of time while DD is napping in the afternoon..........then when dinner time arrives I can just put everything together in a pot and cook it.
I think I may try this next week!!

blisstwins
01-13-2010, 06:32 PM
"ezpot"

I did and I followed the directions Melissa from the Next Food Network Star. SHe basically said the ordering of flavors is imporantL eggplant, zuchini, peppers, onions and tomatoes. I made it like a stew and it was great.

Tondi G
01-13-2010, 07:46 PM
YUM! There used to be a little french restaurant near us (now gone) that made ratatouille crepes... it was SO delicious. I still crave them and it has been years!

If you make ratatouille make sure you have a nice crusty french baguette to go with it!

Melaine
01-13-2010, 09:39 PM

eta --> Tee hee!

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

clc053103
01-13-2010, 10:00 PM
"ezpot"

I did and I followed the directions Melissa from the Next Food Network Star. SHe basically said the ordering of flavors is imporantL eggplant, zuchini, peppers, onions and tomatoes. I made it like a stew and it was great.

This is what I was going to respond...I'm a food network junkie! I still have to try it though.

MCsMom
01-13-2010, 10:09 PM
ROASTED RATATOUILLE
Cook's Illustrated

SERVES 6 to 8
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 20 minutes (includes 1 hour roasting time)

This dish can be served as a side dish (either hot or room temperature), as a vegetarian main course with rice, or as a sauce for pasta or chicken. The fruity flavor of extra-virgin olive oil tastes good here, although regular olive oil can be substituted.

1 globe eggplant (1 lb.), peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes
2 medium zucchini or summer squash (1 lb.), cut into ½-inch cubes
1 red onion, halved and sliced ¼ inch thick
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained with ⅓ cup juice reserved
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
5 garlic cloves, sliced thin
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon pepper
1 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar

Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to
375 degrees. Combine the eggplant, zucchini, onion, tomatoes with
the reserved juice, oil, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper in a
large bowl and mix well. Spread the mixture into a 9 x 13-inch
baking dish. Roast until the vegetables have softened and are
browned in spots, about 1 hour, stirring thoroughly halfway
through the cooking time. Sprinkle with the vinegar before
serving.

To Make Ahead
This dish tastes best when prepared and served on the same day;
however, it can be cooked and kept in the refrigerator, wrapped
tightly in plastic wrap, for up to 2 days. Reheat or allow the
ratatouille to come to room temperature before serving.

This gets made a lot around here :D

I tried this with both zucchini and the squash and liked the zucchini better because it held its shape more. Also tried this with canned whole tomatoes and crushed tomatoes and it was fine. I chopped up the whole tomatoes a little and removed the cores.
Am not a great measurer when it comes to cooking like this and I just kind of eyeball the amounts (salt, pepper, oil) with no dire consequences.
This definitely keeps a little longer than 2 days. It usually doesn’t last that long.

Hope you like it!

DrSally
01-13-2010, 10:48 PM

eta --> Tee hee!

:ROTFLMAO: Loved that movie. Even the cartoon version looked yummy!

happymom
01-13-2010, 10:58 PM
I make ratatouille fairly often. I don't even have a recipe- to me its one of those throw-together recipes that uses up the veggies that are going bad in the frig :) I basically just saute zuchinni (unpeeled, sliced in rounds or half rounds), onion, garlic, sometimes eggplant, sometimes peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomato sauce (sometimes I use the flavored tomato sauces) and warm on fire. Voila! If you're really looking for easy, just throw everything into a pan and stick in the oven on 350-400 covered. Uncover to cook out some of the sauce towards the end. Its hard to mess up ratatouille IMO.