PDA

View Full Version : Up to my eyeballs in cardboard boxes!

elektra
01-13-2010, 05:11 PM
It's worse than Christmas! How do you all manage the aftermath of your online orders? I have 10 or so cardboard boxes that need to be broken down. They are just piling up right beside me in the office.

SnuggleBuggles
01-13-2010, 05:21 PM
They are all piled up in the basement, waiting to be dealt with. The worst is the packaging from the tv dh ordered. Not only do we have the product box but 2 gigantic shipping boxes for it. I can't get them to the recycling place b/c of their size in our car. I don't want to throw them out for 2 reasons- 1. it's a lot of cardboard and should be recycled; 2. I don't want to give thieves the heads up that we have a nice, big tv in our house if they go driving around on trash night.

Beth

Corie
01-13-2010, 05:33 PM
My DH takes all the boxes out to the garage and spend an evening breaking
them down. He cuts the boxes down in size to fit the recycling bins.

KrisM
01-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Black & Decker makes power scissors. These are great for breaking down and cutting boxes.

bigpassport
01-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Here is what happens at my house....Boxes stack up in the garage because DH thinks we may need to use them one day, I get to the point where I can't stand the clutter and break down the boxes for recycling, then within a week of the boxes being gone I need one. Happens.every.single.time.

Globetrotter
01-13-2010, 05:49 PM
I just freecycled mine to someone who is moving! I got three inquiries within an hour. I mentioned that they were clean, as sometimes used boxes are gross if they've been stored.

billysmommy
01-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Black & Decker makes power scissors. These are great for breaking down and cutting boxes.

I find it very therapeutic :)

hillview
01-13-2010, 07:51 PM
OMG thanks for posting this. We are OVER the top in boxes. SIGH I just wish DH would NOTICE them. He is "in charge" of recycling and the trash which translates to I get upset and then do it myself. ARGH
/hillary

elektra
01-13-2010, 07:54 PM
I thought I was a genius for ordering baby food, diapers, formula, and two last minute gift items online. (Not to mention the carseat.)
But now I am not so sure it was the most efficient thing, seeing all this carboard piling up!
Oh and one of my baby food jars arrived broken. :(

Andi98989
01-13-2010, 08:01 PM
I break down our boxes as soon as they come and stack them in the garage. Once a month I fold down the seats in the car and stack everything in and drive it to the county recycling center along with all our other stuff. Generally it's pretty easy, but the crib box was a royal pain!

wellyes
01-13-2010, 08:26 PM
My town has recycling every other week and DH seriously spends almost an hour each time just crushing package boxes. That's not including all the regular cardboard boxes (cereal, tissues, etc) get broken down as soon as they're done.

In the summer he has fun with it, takes everything outside & basically jumps up and down on them. But this time of year I just throw boxes in the basement, where it's so cold he has to do the breaking down wearing gloves. It's pretty sad.

vludmilla
01-13-2010, 09:05 PM
My town has recycling every other week and DH seriously spends almost an hour each time just crushing package boxes. That's not including all the regular cardboard boxes (cereal, tissues, etc) get broken down as soon as they're done.

In the summer he has fun with it, takes everything outside & basically jumps up and down on them. But this time of year I just throw boxes in the basement, where it's so cold he has to do the breaking down wearing gloves. It's pretty sad.

It's pretty much like that here too.