PDA

View Full Version : S/O: When to start swim lessons?

wellyes
01-13-2010, 08:31 PM
DD is nearly two. I know kids her age can learn to swim, but is it possible for a 2 year old to ENJOY swimming?

I'm thinking of lessons. We're lucky enough to be part of a gym with a full-time family pool, and I do go about once a week with her. But I don't really know what I'm doing. I tried a teach-to-swim library book but it was aimed at older kids. she basically just clings to me. Is it too early?

elliput
01-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Most classes for the 2yo set are parent/child classes and will be mostly about being comfortable in the water through games and activities. Here is the description of the toddler class at my local Y "Toddler and parent enjoy aquatic adjustment, swimming readiness skills, water safety, songs and games."

mikeys_mom
01-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Never too early IMO.

Will she enjoy it? Depends.

DS loved it at that age and advanced really quickly. DD is much more timid in the water and I think it took her whole first session for her to start enjoying it. She still gets upset when they try to get her to put her face in the water but she no longer has a fear of water and is progressing slowly at her own pace.

At that age I would make sure it is no more than a 2:1 ratio or they won't do much other than sit on the ledge most of the class.

elektra
01-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Our DD's are almost exactly a year apart and last year, my DD really took to swimming. We had her in a group mommy and me lesson in the summer.
We were also in the pool and ocean quite a bit over the summer and I actually think that got her to a good comfort level in the water quicker than the lessons did. But we did get some good pointers from the lessons too.
By the end of the summer, DD would dive in from the steps and swim under water to the side of the pool, holding her breath and kicking. It was awesome. I still watch her like a hawk at the pool but at least I now know she is physically capable of getting to the edge by herself if she were to fall in. Without the lessons we would not yet be at that point.

zag95
01-13-2010, 09:11 PM
We did our water babies swim class last summer- sounds like you are doing many of the things they did in class-

Our small class was 18 mos and under- DD was about 17 mos when she was in the class- there were 2 "instructors" and 3 other little ones with parents.

Some things we practiced:
Blowing bubbles
Kicking- holding onto the wall, laying on a foam mat, laying facedown across parent's arms, laying on backs kicking.
We also practiced dunking our babies in the water- blow on their faces and pull them down (at an arm's length and then while they are underwater, pull more close to you and then up (it's supposed to minimize water going in their nose/mouth)- she got really good about feeling comfortable to get her face in the water and doing these tasks. The rest of the time was more fun (games in the water, songs, etc)

DD will be about 2.5 this summer- can't wait for her to take another swim class!

mommylamb
01-13-2010, 09:28 PM
DS is 2.5 and we are taking a mommy and me swimming class now. We actually did it when he was about 8 months old too. I think even at that age it was worth it. He became very accustomed to the water and started blowing bubbles and putting his face in the water even at 8 months. He has done it ever since in the bath and when we go swimming in the summer. He loves going to the pool for our lessons now. I don't think they learn to swim per se, but the comfort level with the water is what really matters.

hillview
01-13-2010, 09:44 PM
We started the boys with a grandpa and me class :) at 18 months. They are both fishes/love the water!
/hillary

wellyes
01-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Well you all have inspired me to sign up for lessons with DD!

It's great timing too -- I really want to be in the water with her, and the cutoff for Mommy & Me is age 2, so I *have* to sign her up for the next semester (starting in February). After that, she'd have to go without me with to the "tots" class with 3 & 4 year olds, which she's definitely not ready for yet.

Thanks all!!

AnnieW625
01-13-2010, 10:16 PM
We would've done another summer of mommy n me lessons with DD at 2, but that was the summer she had tubes put in her ears so we didn't want to chance it. I wasn't sure about non mommy n me lessons with DD last year at 3, I don't think I would've put her in a group lesson by herself at any age younger than 3. The only kids I know who did do swimming lessons at younger than 3 without a parent were in private lessons and that seemed to work out fine for them, but it was out of our price range. If DD doesn't get swimming this summer after group lessons then we will look into a round of private lessons.

bubbaray
01-13-2010, 10:20 PM
My kids started around 6m in parent participation classes. Age 3 for "big girl" classes. DD#2 just started her's this past week.

newg
01-13-2010, 11:25 PM
We did swim lessons last year with DD.......she started at 11 months........it was a mommy and me class...........it was really nice because I learned how to interact, and help her in the water..........we're not doing the next level of swim classes this winter, but will sign up next winter............DD loves the water........she is fearless and will jump into DH's arms off the side of the pool and he'll let her completely go under........she comes up smiling every time...........I really thing her attitude is partly because of the swim lessons last winter.

pb&j
01-13-2010, 11:30 PM
DS and I have done mommy & me type classes since he was a baby. He LOVES them. We tried "real" lessons last year at age 3, and he just wasn't ready. But, we just went back to mommy & me and he had a great time, and even got to putting his face in the water and blowing bubbles. We'll try "real" lessons again this year.

jenfromnj
01-13-2010, 11:35 PM
DS is 9.5 months, and we are getting into our first semester of swimming lessons now (last week was the first week). It's a Mommy & Me and the pool is really warm, so I thought we'd be ok, and so far, so good. DS is almost alarmingly fearless, though--he was ready to "dive" into the water after about 2 minutes. So scared of when he learns to walk...

stillplayswithbarbies
01-14-2010, 05:03 PM
We started at 6 months and kept going. The baby is now 15 months old and absolutely loves swimming lessons. They sing songs and play games while learning the building blocks of swimming strokes.