PDA

View Full Version : Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach

gavsmompa
01-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Will be visiting some family in Charleston this summer and want to combine with either one of these vacation spots. I have a 7yo and a 15 month old (age they will be at the time). Has anyone been to both and can recommend one over the other? Which one is more family friendly?

ohiomom1121
01-13-2010, 09:18 PM
LOVE Hilton Head. We've been to both multiple times. Hilton Head is much more family friendly..lots of shows, etc. geared towards kids. Myrtle Beach is much more touristy. Lots more big seafood buffets, lots more noise, lots more people on the beach IMO. The one thing I like more at Myrtle is the hotel/condo pools tend to be a lot bigger than the ones at Hilton Head. (Not that you can't find nice big pools, it's just not like every one will be huge) I also love the aquarium there, but otherwise can't imagine going back after having been to HH.

DietCokeLover
01-13-2010, 09:18 PM
It really depends on what tone of vacation you want. If you want lots of activities, more crowds - go to MB. If you want a more relaxed, low key time - go to HHI.

HHI is a little more "refined" of a place. MB is going to have a different feel to it. It depends on the area of MB you are in, but some of it can be pretty rowdy and some of it can be fairly family friendly.

If you have any specific questions, you're welcome to PM me.

gavsmompa
01-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Well sounds like HH is more to our taste. We tend to avoid really touristy places and like more of a laid back atmosphere. Any recommendations of where to stay? I see Disney has a resort there but I assume that is for vacation club members?

ohiomom1121
01-13-2010, 10:14 PM
We've stayed at Ocean Club the last few years...condos are pretty nice but the pools are great. There's a saltwater pool with a waterfall, a kid pool with a mushroom sprayer, a lounge pool and a hot tub. Plus they do kids activities every day and there's a playground. There's also a bridge with tons of turtles and ducks that swim right under you that my kids are fascinated by. But again, most places down there are pretty nice!

newg
01-13-2010, 11:31 PM
We rent a condo or townhouse when we go down.........we really like having our own "house" while we're down there.

My parents have a time share at the Marriot......it's right off the beach and has a ton of pools, one indoor pool, workout room and free tennis lessons each day.............they love it................it's right off of Calligney (sp?) Plaza.................

We love HHI..............much more relaxed and easy-going IMO.............you can ride bikes all over the island, play on the beach all day and they have a nice variety of local cuisine and national chain restaurants.

pb&j
01-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Hilton Head, no question.