PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to put my social security # for a credit check?

wencit
01-13-2010, 10:19 PM
We found a townhouse in MA that we'd like to rent, and the application asks to list our social security numbers in order to run a credit check. I'd like to give them only the bare minimum amount of personal information necessary. For example, the application also asks for our bank name and account numbers, but I'm fairly certain they do not need that information, nor are they legally entitled to it (I believe). Does a company really need our social security numbers to run credit checks? Can they not do it with just our names and maybe something like a driver's license number? I thought I read that somewhere (on a car buying tip website, maybe?), but I could be imagining things.

Thanks!

AnnieW625
01-13-2010, 10:22 PM
I have given my SSN to a landlord to run a credit check before and never had a problem. You could always run one yourself and show it to them. I don't know the legality of it so I am no help there. I do honestly believe that they do need your SSN though. Is this a big rental company or a private party? If it's a big company could you check a service like Angie's List to make sure they are legit?

vludmilla
01-13-2010, 10:26 PM
I have rented some very nice summer houses and I have NEVER been asked to give my SSN and I would not give it. I would not give my bank name and account number either. Seems fishy.

wencit
01-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Is this a big rental company or a private party? If it's a big company could you check a service like Angie's List to make sure they are legit? We are working with a realtor who is employed by Coldwell Banker. The application she gave me says "Greater Boston Real Estate Board."

wendmatt
01-13-2010, 10:44 PM
We've rented before and had to give SSN for credit check and bank details/statements to make sure we could afford it. If it's a real estate business I would think it's fine. I would ask the realtor about the bank details though.

jenfromnj
01-13-2010, 11:13 PM
I have rented some very nice summer houses and I have NEVER been asked to give my SSN and I would not give it. I would not give my bank name and account number either. Seems fishy.

FWIW, my parents own some places at the shore, and they don't expect their short-term tenants (for weekly or summer rentals) to go through that process, however, they do expect a credit check (which requires a SSN) for longer term tenants. I used to practice a bit of leasing law back in the day, and I think that's pretty standard, at least in NJ and NY.

vludmilla
01-13-2010, 11:53 PM
FWIW, my parents own some places at the shore, and they don't expect their short-term tenants (for weekly or summer rentals) to go through that process, however, they do expect a credit check (which requires a SSN) for longer term tenants. I used to practice a bit of leasing law back in the day, and I think that's pretty standard, at least in NJ and NY.

Indeed, I realize that I was erroneously assuming that it was a vacation rental. duh.

Penny's Pappa
01-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Anytime I have ever applied for anything that involves credit risk -- mortgage, car loan, credit card app, apartment lease, etc. -- I have had to provide my SSN. I think that's pretty standard.

The only time I have EVER had to provide bank records was when I was applying for my mortgage, but even then I might have been able to black out the acct #s. That I can't recall.

The SSN is legit. They'll need that to pull your credit, but the bank acct #s does not sound legit to me. I would guess that they're trying to assess your income, though that could easily be proven by means other than providing access to your bank accounts (pay stubs, copy of a 1040, etc.). I would question the need for such information and investigate the legality of them even asking it.

Although, if you end up having problems dealing with the owner and the application, just imagine how things will be once they're your landlord...

maybeebaby08
01-14-2010, 01:33 AM
Every rental application I've filled out in MA always asks for SSN, and bank account information, maybe it's just a MA thing. I've never had any problems when I've given my landlords my bank information. You have to give your SSN in order for your credit to be run.

youngmommy
01-14-2010, 01:37 AM
Can someone please explain to me why everyone seems so concerned with giving out bank account numbers? Your bank account and routing numbers are right on your personal checks. Any time you give a check to anyone they have that info. Is there something I'm missing here?

wencit
01-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks, everyone, I just wanted to make sure I provide the bare minimum. I am particularly protective of my social security number. :)

Can someone please explain to me why everyone seems so concerned with giving out bank account numbers? Your bank account and routing numbers are right on your personal checks. Any time you give a check to anyone they have that info. Is there something I'm missing here? Personally, I am concerned about identity fraud, especially if someone has my social security number AND my bank account number. They could easily go in and mess with my accounts, given that amount of information.

KrisM
01-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Can someone please explain to me why everyone seems so concerned with giving out bank account numbers? Your bank account and routing numbers are right on your personal checks. Any time you give a check to anyone they have that info. Is there something I'm missing here?

The few people I write checks to are theorectically only processing it through. They don't have my numbers written down in a file in their desk.

And, my checks don't have my SSN on it. Giving those together is huge.

TwinFoxes
01-14-2010, 09:42 AM

My concern would be fraud. Obviously your landlord will have your account number. But if you're filling out several applications, especially long distance it's more worrisome. Lots of people will have access to your info. And when we were selling our house our realtor discovered some random person had posted our listing under the "rentals" section of Craigslist. Clearly someone was going to get people to "apply" and get their personal info for identity theft.

Also, my checking account isn't where we keep most of our money, so we'd have to give our savings account number as well.

Fraud aside, I agree w/pp that I'm not sure I'd want to deal with a landlord who demands bank account info. Just seems odd to me.