PDA

View Full Version : What to Do With a Quilt?

kransden
01-14-2010, 12:15 AM
We visited MIL and she gave (forced on) us a quilt. It was won in a church raffle 20 years ago and now used in ok condition. It's handmade red and white. We have NO USE for it, and don't want it. I hate to give it to the Goodwill, but what else can I do with it? Any suggestions?

jerigirl
01-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Do you have a local quilt guild in your area?

rlu
01-14-2010, 12:42 AM
woman's or homeless shelter?

Tondi G
01-14-2010, 01:05 AM
You could use it for a Picnic/beach/park blanket?

Do you have a dog that might like a nice cozy blanket?

pinkmomagain
01-14-2010, 09:23 AM
If it's pretty and goes with your decor you can use it as a wall hanging.

karstmama
01-14-2010, 10:17 AM
cut it & make pillows? cut it & make window darkening shades? (if it goes with decor, of course...)

nursing home? mental health center? elementary school guidance counselor office? (for snuggles when children are upset)

agree with women's shelter & homeless shelter. i gave our used but not-crashed infant car seat to the homeless shelter. i figured someone running might not end up with her car seat.

ourbabygirl
01-14-2010, 11:24 AM
How about putting it in the back of your car/ trunk as a 'liner' for groceries, etc.? Then you'll also have it there as a picnic blanket if needed, as pp mentioned.
You could also donate it to an animal shelter; usually they use towels & fleece blankets to line the dogs' kennels, but I'm sure they could use it & would appreciate it. :)

newg
01-14-2010, 02:39 PM
did this quilt have any special meaning to your MIL? If it did, I wouldn't give it away just yet............she'll show up for a visit and wonder where it is...........

My grandma gave me a silk pink comforter when DH and I got married that she was given when she got married................not my taste at all, but no way I can get rid of it because of the history..........so I have it folded in my cedar chest............One day I may have it turned into a throw or something, but I couldn't look my grandma in the face knowing I got rid of it.........

can you store it...........or maybe use it as a play blanket for your kids.......then MIL will see it being used in a loving way..............

It's always tough when you are "given" things from family and you can't say no.

crazye
01-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Sounds like my MIL...we have quite a few of DH's old toys (hello Cabbage Patch Kid that looks like it's been through a war!) that she insists we take home. So we let DD have them an when she forgets, it "disappears". This is for non-sentimental things. We do have (on display no less) a rooster cookie jar from GMIL/GFIL's old farm house which DH loved as a little boy. So when that came with the rest of their wedding gift I knew we couldn't toss it so it sits on top of the fridge. I'd say anything that has sentimental value you pack away and torture future generations with it ;) Anything that is just forced upon you (I half suspect we only got the Cabbage Patch Kid b/c MIL was in the process of purging for their move and didn't want to flat out toss it), toss it if your spouse is ok with it.

AnnieW625
01-14-2010, 03:25 PM
put it away and save it for your daughter, otherwise I like the idea of using it as a play mat. Also quilts are great for when the kiddos are sick. I'd also just take to a local quilt guild to see if they can tell how old it is and such.

Jen841
01-14-2010, 04:13 PM
We have graduated from a throw in the family room to blankets for the family. My kids are becoming me, they love to curl up in a blanket. Why not use/love a quilt? Let the kids enjoy it. Let them rest with it. Let them make forts with it. Let them have inside picnics on it. They can be a ghost with it.

I sleep with a 60+ quilt from my grandparents on my bed. It is not the most beautiful, but it is warm and I love it!

Ceepa
01-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Especially with the turn of the nw year I am all about getting out the clutter. You don't want the quilt. You don't need the quilt. Release the guilt and donate the quilt. (heh, I rhymed) Someone will be happy to come upon it at Goodwill or a shelter.