PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Q

KrystalS
01-14-2010, 11:48 AM
If you block status updates from certain friends do they know they have been blocked?

lizzywednesday
01-14-2010, 11:51 AM
If you block status updates from certain friends do they know they have been blocked?

I don't think so.

mommylamb
01-14-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't think so.... I hope not.

KrystalS
01-14-2010, 12:13 PM
I don't think so.... I hope not.

Lol me too because it's MIL & SIL that I'm blocking!

Clarity
01-14-2010, 12:16 PM
The people don't know they've been blocked. Here's a blurb from FB Help:

If I share mutual friends with the user I am blocking, will they be able to see my comments to this mutual friend?
Blocking allows you to prevent most interactions with someone on Facebook. People you block won't be able to find you in searches, view your profile, or contact you with pokes, Wall posts, or personal messages. In addition, they will not be able to see your Wall posts, comments on mutual friends’ Walls, or that you are a member of the same group as them.

They will, however, see your comments on content that is posted by a mutual friend. You will see their comments as well.

MoJo
01-14-2010, 12:17 PM
I don't think they know when you block them. . . however, for people I see/talk to ever, they automatically ASSUME I saw their status updates, so they would probably eventually figure out that you weren't seeing them.

For people like that, I block their games etc, but go ahead and leave their status updates.

I'd be more likely to block a few of MY OWN status updates from my in-laws, and they'd never know I did that.

k_null81
01-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Are we talking hiding or blocking? Or are they the same thing?

TwinFoxes
01-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Are we talking hiding or blocking? Or are they the same thing?

They're not. Blocking is being completely invisible to someone and vice versa. Like you'd block a creepy ex or something. Hiding statuses is for annoying inlaws (ask me how I know about hiding! :innocent:)

OP, if you mean hiding someone's status updates from appearing in your feed, no they won't know. If you're hiding YOUR status updates to someone else, they'd probably know because your page will look different to them.

k_null81
01-14-2010, 01:48 PM
That's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying. I have hid several people from showing up in my live feed because I could no longer stand all the political, religious, and polls/quizzes certain FB friends were posting all the time. I wish I had the courage to block certain people but don't want to start drama so I have to sensor myself a lot because of these certain people on FB.

Oh the fun of Facebook! :ROTFLMAO:

mommylamb
01-14-2010, 01:53 PM
But I think the OP was only talking about blocking people from seeing her status updates, which I believe you can do (which I do, and I hope it works). I have a number of "friends" who are work colleagues of mine. I work for a bipartisan organization and I take my personal politics hat off at work (though, you all know it). So I have my status update privacy setting customized so that they don't see any of my status updates just in case I decide to comment on something political. They can see my pictures, info about me, etc.

MomToOne
01-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Over half my 'friends' news feeds are hidden from me. I'm soooo not interested in the daily life of people I barely knew in high school twenty years ago. I've never heard word one from any of them asking why I hid them or anything like that. I think most people do this actually.

TwinFoxes
01-14-2010, 02:16 PM
I think most people do this actually.

I think you are soooo right! I'm sure I've been hidden. I just can't imagine that some of the people who friended me pre-kids want to read about my trips to Trader Joe's, or that the twins are now on the height/weight chart!