PDA

View Full Version : Are the last two days of 1st grade really important?

infomama
01-14-2010, 11:55 AM
My Alaskan cruise plan for my moms 70th had transformed into a family Disney cruise (thank goodness I have a year and a half to save). I can save $500 if we leave on a certain date but Dd1 will miss the last two days of 1st grade. Thoughts from mama's with former 1st graders please!

AnnieW625
01-14-2010, 12:01 PM
I don't think so, but I always had soo much fun the last week or so of school. The last day was always fun because we had some type of special lunch or snack. I wouldn't sweat the last two days as I am sure DD1 will have a great time on the cruise too:)

bw52
01-14-2010, 12:06 PM
I was a first grade teacher and I say they aren't important. Teachers are trying to get everything wrapped up and the kids are pretty much just watching movies and playing--fun for them, but not important. There is probably some fun party she'll miss, but I think only you would know if she would care about it or not. She'll prob hear about all the details in class as the rest of them get excited about it, so you'd have to decide if she'd be really sad if she knew she wasn't going to be there. If it were my own child, I'd focus on the cruise and get her really excited about that and leave early.

ETA: Ooh...I would tell the teacher in advance (at least a couple weeks), though, if she's not going to be there. I always hated it when I had stuff to send home (their school projects, maybe a gift, etc) and the child wasn't there. If I had known s/he wasn't going to be there I would have made sure they had gotten it earlier.

pinkmomagain
01-14-2010, 12:08 PM
I would totally go for it if I were you. Besides, the last day of school around my parts is just an hour!

nfowife
01-14-2010, 12:24 PM
she will miss nothing academically important. I agree, tell the teacher so she can send all her stuff home early. Have a great time!

egoldber
01-14-2010, 12:26 PM
I agree she won't miss anything academically and she certainly won't be the only one. But she will probably miss class parties. My older DD LOVES that kind of thing and is always very sorry to miss it, so that would be a hard day to miss for us.

vonfirmath
01-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Go!

I missed the first WEEK of first grade (we were at Disney world with my dad, whose business had taken him there), and in the long run it has not mattered at all. She won't get a lot more chances to take trips with her grandmother.

Tondi G
01-14-2010, 12:57 PM
she won't miss anything besides maybe a end of school year party. The cruise is WAY better if you ask me!!!! GO and don't look back! Let the teacher know the week before so her desk can get cleared out and all her projects/art can be sent home earlier! Have a wonderful cruise!

Jen841
01-14-2010, 01:07 PM
... you feel the school year could be extended due to weather.

SnuggleBuggles
01-14-2010, 01:21 PM
He'd be sad but he'd be ok with it b/c the trip would be awesome. My ds would be easily appeased by saying we'd have a playdate w/ friends when we got home.

Beth

Thatchermom
01-14-2010, 01:54 PM
DS missed his last two days due to going to CA for my nephew's HS grad. He was mad during his last few days (though I know he enjoyed the special goodbye time the teacher planned just for him!), mad while we packed, grumpy on the plane, then never looked back. Once we arrived and were swarmed with family and fun he didn't regret it for a moment. The beach, Disneyland, swimming every day and all of his family were way better than one more store-bought cupcake!

She will always remember her Disney cruise. How many of us can remember much from the last day of 1st grade?

kransden
01-14-2010, 02:34 PM
DS missed his last two days due to going to CA for my nephew's HS grad. He was mad during his last few days (though I know he enjoyed the special goodbye time the teacher planned just for him!), mad while we packed, grumpy on the plane, then never looked back. Once we arrived and were swarmed with family and fun he didn't regret it for a moment. The beach, Disneyland, swimming every day and all of his family were way better than one more store-bought cupcake!

She will always remember her Disney cruise. How many of us can remember much from the last day of 1st grade?

I believe this is what would happen with my dd. She'd be upset she missed the parties, but would love the vacation more!

infomama
01-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks guys..I'm going for it!

Asianmommy
01-14-2010, 03:11 PM
I agree with Jen841. Our school calendar can be extended by a week to account for snow days. If that's not an issue for your school district, then I wouldn't worry about missing the last couple of days.

You could also find out from the teacher or other moms at the school if your school does something special on the last couple of days. Ours has a really fun day where parents, teachers, and community members come in to teach the kids various classes, such as rock climbing, fishing, volleyball, tennis, woodworking, tie-dying a T-shirt, flower arranging, cookie decorating, bracelet-making, and so on. My kids wouldn't want to miss that day.

MamaKath
01-14-2010, 09:33 PM
You could also find out from the teacher or other moms at the school if your school does something special on the last couple of days. Ours has a really fun day where parents, teachers, and community members come in to teach the kids various classes, such as rock climbing, fishing, volleyball, tennis, woodworking, tie-dying a T-shirt, flower arranging, cookie decorating, bracelet-making, and so on. My kids wouldn't want to miss that day.
:yeahthat:

Our school does a lot of special all school activities and I take time to say goodbye to my class on the last day of school. I take a lot of time to make that last week of class extra special and to recognize the kids and their amazing growth. I am always very sad when a child isn't there, but I try to make sure that my gift for them is done so they can take it on their own last day.

I will say though, my dc's teacher didn't do much last year that last week (surprised me thoroughly since we had team taught the year prior and together we had special activities planned for the whole last week of school). Had I known she was going to have such a poor last week, I may have actually let dc go visit grandparents that week.

vludmilla
01-14-2010, 09:37 PM
No, not that important. Save the $500 and go.

newg
01-14-2010, 10:34 PM
I would double check school policy and talk to the teacher ahead of time, as pp have mentioned, so she can be prepared.