PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watching Teen Mom on MTV?

arivecchi
01-14-2010, 01:05 PM
I am addicted to that show. I find it just riveting. I cannot imagine having kids when I was a teenager. It was hard enough for me to adjust at 33! :tongue5:

Am I the only one that notices the car seat misuse - loose straps, etc.? Some of those poor babies are constantly in the stupid infant car seats. :shake:

MommyofAmaya
01-14-2010, 01:13 PM
I am addicted to that show. I find it just riveting. I cannot imagine having kids when I was a teenager. It was hard enough for me to adjust at 33! :tongue5:

Am I the only one that notices the car seat misuse - loose straps, etc.? Some of those poor babies are constantly in the stupid infant car seats. :shake:

I've been meaning to post about this. We DVR it and were actually up late last night talking about it. It is even more disturbing to DH than I . I am also constantly commenting about the car seat straps, etc. DH less so.

I have to say that I really have a soft spot for Catelynn and her boyfriend even though they aren't that bright. DH has pointed out that we might "dislike" them as much as the others if we saw their actions as hands-on parents, as opposed to kids who made the "right" choice.

arivecchi
01-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I feel so bad that their families are constantly harassing them about the adoption. Given their environment, they definitely seem to have made the right choice.

happy2bamom
01-14-2010, 01:23 PM
One of my closest friends was on the last episode with Catelynn. My friend, Jenn, is one of the founders for the On Your Feet Foundation that hosted the birth mother's retreat that Catelynn attended. Before that episode I had never watched, but I'll be watching now.

Such huge decisions at such a young age. I can not imagine!

Kymberley
01-14-2010, 01:37 PM
I watch it too, when I can. I feel sorry for Farrah's baby (at least her grandparents stay with her while Farrah runs around) and Amber's baby (she treats her BF like crap, even though he's not that great himself). And the carseat issues drive me crazy!

arivecchi
01-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Farrah is out of control. She was definitely not ready for a baby (not that any of them were). She is lucky her parents are there to pick up the slack.

happy2bamom
01-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Personally, I think that Catelynn & her BF seem the most grounded (again, I've only watched one episode). I don't know if places a baby for adoption forces you to grow-up or if placing a baby for adoption requires one to be more mature? Either way, they seem to be moving in the right direction. The other couples..... not so much!

Elilly
01-14-2010, 01:58 PM
I love this show but I've lost track of when it's on. Can someone remind me?
Thx!

AnnieW625
01-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Sounds interesting, but I haven't seen it yet. I had a classmate in jr. high that got pregnant at 14 in the 9th grade, she had the baby at 15. She was extremely lucky to have a very supportive family. She married the dad who wasn't the best guy, I think he was 17 or 18 then and in out of trouble with the law for years after that. She ended up graduating from high school like normal, and since she was a yr. older than me we had lost touch, but I later saw her at the same college as me and it turns out she ended up graduating with a double degree in chemistry, and chemical engineering. Her daughter is now 17 or turns 18 this year I think and I am sure she and her husband have long since divorced, but everytime I hear of another teen mom I just think about this girl and think that it's soo amazing that she made it through it all.

ETA: I just found her on Facebook, she has since remarried and had 3 more children, looks happy! I knew I had one friend who kept in touch w/ her!

Kymberley
01-14-2010, 02:18 PM
I can't STAND Farrah. I don't know why I'm so emotionally involved when it comes to her, but she makes my blood boil.

maydaymommy
01-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Cannot. Turn. Away.

Happy2bamom - gave me chills when I read that your friend was responsible for that birth mother's retreat. What a healing/helping thing that seemed to be!

I often feel bad for the babies in the show, the teen moms, too.

I watched the first season while pg w/ ds2 and I found it very disturbing. I thought it was far too glorifying to teen pregnancy. I'm glad they followed up with the show to show the hard lives of the families.

I agree about Catelynn and her boyfriend being grounded and more sensible. Did you catch that after they started dating her mom married his dad, Butch!!

I would hope that they are making enough money through the show to provide better for the babies! Farrah's family seems to be comfortable, but it definitely looks like all the other couples struggle financially. Even Maci/Ryan/Bentley who live in nicer homes have money troubles. I have wondered
whether the girls are able to get WIC or foodstamps or something?

Horrified that I know so much abt this show.

AJP
01-14-2010, 06:50 PM
I've been meaning to post about the car seat misuse too. It's scary.

jenfromnj
01-14-2010, 06:53 PM

I have the same thoughts and concerns about that show. It's like a train wreck, I can't look away, even though it feels so wrong to watch. I seriously cannot imagine being in that position at 16--I agree with you 100%, at 31 with a husband, house, job, and a plan, it was still a huge adjustment.