PDA

View Full Version : What is LinkedIn?

SM23Mama21
01-14-2010, 02:46 PM
I just googled my name after reading a post on here and I popped up on LinkedIn. It's rather nerving as there is personal information (some of which is not accurate) on there about me. I've never heard of it before and am not sure how they got their information. Can anyone tell me about it?

TIA!!

MontrealMum
01-14-2010, 02:49 PM
It's a professional networking site that's *supposed* to help you connect with people in your field, or related fields. Another one is Spoke.

Are you sure it's really *you* and not someone else with your same name? You have to join yourself, so it's likely that it's someone else with a similar name to yours. Though you don't really ahve to verify a whole lot, so I guess someone might have set up a dummy account or something strange.

I haven't really used it a lot, but many of my friends joined after graduation, and I went and tried to look other people up that I was wondering about. Anyway, there are LOTS of people out there with the same name, and in some cases it was pretty obvious to me that the results that came up were not the person I was looking for.

maestramommy
01-14-2010, 02:57 PM
I think of it like Facebook, but only for professional networking. I'm on it, but haven't done much with it except add new contacts.

SM23Mama21
01-14-2010, 03:00 PM
No, I've never signed up. It is me though, because it lists my current employer. It makes me wonder if someone signed me up. I'm feeling a bit violated!

MontrealMum
01-14-2010, 03:09 PM
That would bother me then. I don't know how this works, because I don't really use it (but I do have an account), but I'd try to report it to the admin. if I were you.

mommylamb
01-14-2010, 03:26 PM
That happened to me too on linked in... somehow I ended up with a profile that I didn't set up. I will admit that once I got over the initial shock, I corrected the info because it is something work colleagues of mine use professionally, so now my profile is correct.

arivecchi
01-14-2010, 03:28 PM
I just googled my name after reading a post on here and I popped up on LinkedIn. It's rather nerving as there is personal information (some of which is not accurate) on there about me. I've never heard of it before and am not sure how they got their information. Can anyone tell me about it?

TIA!! You can change your settings so that your LinkedIn profile is not public. I thought you had to sign up to have one though. Weird.