PDA

View Full Version : buying our first car seat / infant carrier

meganorr1
01-14-2010, 02:55 PM
we are shopping for a carseat/carrier for our baby due in april. i was sold on the britax and and then got swayed to the peg perego....and am now swaying back to the britex chaperone. my husband and i decided on the peg perego pliko stroller and i am wondering 2 things....1. any suggestions on what car seat/ carrier? 2. any one have any advice on if the britex chaperone will fit on the peg perego pliko stroller?

rizzo0904
01-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Why spend so much? And personally, I'm not a fan of the big strollers.

We have the Chicco keyfit seat and love it. We used it with the baby trend snap and go stroller...super light and compact. When Ian got bigger, we got a Maclaren stroller for him...again compact.

mom2binsd
01-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Is it the nice fabrics that swayed you because really that's about all the Pegs have going for them...if you want a wonderful infant seat with nice fabrics check out the Teutonia, they are a Graco snugride 35 but with nicer fabrics.

Both the KeyFit30 and Snugride 35 are the easiest to use, install and tend to fit most cars. They tend to be the infant seats most highly recommended by parents and techs here. Many folks dislike the Peg actually, there was a thread about not too long ago.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=346897&highlight=peg+infant+seat

I didn't worry about my stroller and seat matching too much, I believe some of the Pegs will take other seats..if you post on the stroller forum they can tell you.

Tondi G
01-14-2010, 09:07 PM
we had a graco snugride on our P3 and it worked beautifully. I am not sure about the new snugride 35 or the key fit but I am sure you can make it work! When we got our P3 they were trying to sell their infant seat cause it would click into the stroller. I popped my graco snugride into the seat with it propped between the seat back and the tray and it was fine. You could easily make a strap with a bungie cord if it didn't feel secure enough for you. I bet if you go to a store that carries the P3 and the infant seats you like you can try them in the P3 and see if they work!

The snugride and the Chicco Key Fit are well liked and recommended by the ladies and car seat techs on this board!

lorinick
01-15-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm not a fan of the Peg car seat they are so heavy. The Britax infant seat has a very long base and doesn't fit well in many cars. I would check that out in person. BRU will let you try the seats in your car. I would go with the Snug Ride or Keyfit as well.

zag95
01-15-2010, 09:08 PM
I would not spend a lot of money on the infant car seat, because they aren't in it long! Our DD was in hers maybe 6-7 mos- and then we moved her to her Britax convertible, which she was much happier in! We went with the basic Graco Snugride, instead of the 32- which was fine because lifting dd in the carseat, plus the weight of the car seat = a lot of weight that is uncomfortable to carry (especially at the angle for those seats). Definitely try anything in your car, prior to bringing home baby!

I would spend your money on a good stroller- and get a convertible seat around the time when you will begin using it. If you want to put in on your registry as a big ticket item- do so, and then return, and keep the credit to use closer to the time you need, to maximize the use (car seats expire!)