PDA

View Full Version : Parkway SG and skirts?

kristenk
01-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Let me point out that this is probably a pretty trivial concern, but I'm trying to figure something out.

I need to get a new booster for MIL's car. I was all set on the Parkway SG and then I started wondering about the anti-submarining clip and skirts. Do girls have to pull skirts out of the way for the clip to work? If so, do you think that would be annoying for an older child?

DD is almost 6yo and will be in whatever HBB we decide on for several years (she's in the low 40s for weight and maybe 45" tall). If you have an older DD and a Parkway SG, is this an issue at all? I'm really tempted to go with the Monterey instead, now.

Tanya
01-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Well, I don't have a Parkway SG yet, but that's what I'm planning on getting in the next couple months or so (my mom's carseat for my 3 year old is expiring in April, so she's going to move to my 6 year old's Nautilus in my mom's car and my 6 year old who will be 7 in April will then start riding in a booster in my mom's car...did you follow all of that?).

So, my point is that my 6 year old currently rides harnessed in a Nautilus in my van and my mom's car. We (or she) just hike up the skirt/dress to harness her in. We'll just do the same with the Parkway. I kind of like the idea of the SG for safety to keep the strap in the right position and to keep the kid up and not sliding down.

Now, to be fair my daughter really doesn't ride with anyone else because we don't own a booster yet and because I'm just downright anal about safety and am scared to start letting her ride with someone else in a booster when she rides in a 5 point harness with me! So, would the dress hiking be a problem in that type of a situation? I dont' know. When do girls learn to leave their skirt down in the first place? ha ha. I know I still sent my daughter to school last year with a little pair of shorts under her dress.

kristenk
01-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Tanya, DD is in a Frontier in my car and a Nautilus in DH's, so I'm used to hiking DD's skirt when necessary! I really liked the idea of the Parkway in MIL's car b/c the SG seems like it would help with proper seat belt positioning when I wouldn't be there.

The skirt hike has never bothered me before, but I'm sort of wondering if it would bother DD when she was older *OR* if it would bother a playdate friend. I often play pass-the-car-seat with the seat in MIL's car and use it for playdates or occasional carpool situations. I'm sort of wondering if it would just be weird for a kiddo who (most likely) will be in a backless booster at that point to have to hike up a skirt to ride in my car when she doesn't have to do that at home???

As I said, it's a fairly trivial concern, but I just started wondering about it.

Tondi G
01-14-2010, 08:58 PM
I thought about that too. But I have boys. My boys are big guys and my 4 year old is often messing with the crotch strap on his Marathon cause it's getting tight. I had him sit in the parkway and the Monterey. He liked both but seemed to like the parkway better, I think because the head wings seemed a little farther apart. I wonder about the strap between his legs and how it will be in the future when he is even bigger. Will it be annoying, will it rub? I read one review on the parkway that talked about the way the strap is put on there that it could be irritating to larger kids. Has me thinking we may need to head back to that store and try in him the boosters again. I need to try them both in my car as well and see how they work with the seatbelts etc.

Good Luck!