PDA

View Full Version : Need double stoller help!

saddie23
01-14-2010, 05:00 PM
I need some double stroller help! I am expecting DC #2 in June and DD1 will be 20 months. We do a lot of neighborhood walks so I've decided on the BJCED for that (based on all of the info and reviews on here!) I hope to keep it out and just use it around the neighborhood so I don't plan on folding it or transporting very often.

Now I need to find a double for a toddler and newborn for the car to take to the mall and other errands. I currently have a Peg Si and a Snap n Go frame. I LOVED the Snap n Go frame when DD1 was in her infant seat and would love to find something comparable that also has a toddler seat. I have seen a few Sit n Stands, but I think DD will be too young to rely on just a stand area - she really needs an actual seat.
(Also I know infants shouldn't be in the infant seat all the time or for long periods of time, but for quick trips in and out of stores I think it's very handy. When I run errands I tend to make multiple quick stops so it's a lot of in and out of the car.)

Here are my requirements (I think!) -
- I would really, really like it to take the car seat. To make matters worse, we have the Chicco Keyfit 30. I have read a lot of recommendations to just put the toddler in a single stroller and use a carrier for the newborn, but I am not that great at using the carrier. We have an Ergo so it's definitely a possibility, but I am terrible at actually putting the thing on and putting the baby in it. I just can't imagine putting on the carrier, taking the baby out of the carseat, putting the baby in the carrier and getting a toddler out of the carseat and into a stroller for a quick trip into the drugstore.
- Lightweight and compact fold. Right now we each have a 4 door sedan but I will probably be getting a minivan in spring so hopefully that will have enough room for any stroller I end up with.
- Decent canopies at least; preferrable to have a snack tray for the toddler, or at least a bumper bar I can attached a snack tray to.

DD1 is also very tall for her age, but very lean. DH and I are not tall at all, so the ped expects her growth to slow down, but it hasn't yet!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

WatchingThemGrow
01-14-2010, 05:08 PM
When I run errands I tend to make multiple quick stops so it's a lot of in and out of the car.)...

I just can't imagine putting on the carrier, taking the baby out of the carseat, putting the baby in the carrier and getting a toddler out of the carseat and into a stroller for a quick trip into the drugstore.

IME, with two DC these types of errands are best done without 2 babies, after DH is home or with a babysitter at the house. Naps and feedings take up so much of the day it is hard to get out some days.

I lived with my bjced as my only double until we had 2dc and the 3rd was weeks away.Putting on the Ergo at home is what I do a lot of times, esp in the cold.

jacksmoma
01-14-2010, 05:30 PM
yes. mine are 19 months apart and i really don't "run errands" with both of them- wayyy to much hassle and buckling in etc. i have a bjced and LOVE it for at home walks and all day outings, i tend to only use it when dh is home as that's when we go out all together more- on days i'm at home with the babies on my own i keep my bjcm in my car and pop baby in it and toddler walks (we go mainly to the park or places that are easier to handle these days..) i have a car seat adaptor in my bjcm which makes it so much easier to not unbuckle two of them. the single in the car and double at home or longer days out works best for us and out suburban lifestyle, i'm not a fan of using doubles in the car much as they are all a hassle no matter how lightweight! my toddler much prefers to walk anyways and that's fine with me!

rizzo0904
01-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Mine will be 17 months apart. We also have the Chicco Keyfit seat. I ordered the Joovy Ergo Caboose...great deal at amazon. It folds really flat and is easy to open and close. At nine months pregnant, I can lift it without any issues. It takes the Chicco facing you and the older child has a seat up front with a five point harness. We won't use the stand feature for a while since the baby will be in the carseat. The canopy is huge. It has drink holders and a tray for up front. DS loved riding around in it. We tried him sitting up front and sitting on the smaller bench seat in back...he loved both.

I know the Joovy EC doesn't get rave reviews on here and I was hesitant but dh really wanted to check it out. Glad we did. I look forward to getting it.

saddie23
01-14-2010, 05:54 PM
I agree that it will be difficult to take 2 kids out at once and I will probably avoid it as much as possible. But I know it will need to be done sometimes (doctor appointments if nothing else) and I think I will end up at the mall occassionally just to get out. I would like to avoid folding and transporting the BJCED so I'd like to find something that can be designated for car use.

jacksmoma
01-14-2010, 06:00 PM
oh yes, i go out with both everyday but i don't run multiple errands- just to target or the park or something :) keep in mind with all the naps and feedings etc you don't have as much time to be out so you might not need a double...hth!

arivecchi
01-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Doesn't meet all requirements, but a Mac Twin Techno?

http://www.albeebaby.com/maclaren-2009-twin-techno-double-stroller-black-with-black-frame.html

saddie23
01-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Good idea to put the Ergo on before going out!!

I will look into the Joovy Ergo Caboose and the Mac Techno. I was also thinking of the BJCMD but it sounds like the headroom may not be good since DD is so tall. And I just found the Valcos while searching online - any feedback on the Latitude for 2 or Ion for 2?

Momof3Labs
01-15-2010, 12:43 PM
I was also thinking of the BJCMD but it sounds like the headroom may not be good since DD is so tall.

my very tall almost 4yo boy fits in the bjcmd - your 20mo dd would be fine in it.

sweetsoul99
01-15-2010, 03:27 PM
stroller queen posted a great review on the valco ion for 2, it looks great, just a little pricy.

Also, shopping carts make spectacular doubles!! I put the car seat in the basket, and the older in the front, not a lot of room for stuff, but it works.

saddie23
01-15-2010, 04:41 PM
my very tall almost 4yo boy fits in the bjcmd - your 20mo dd would be fine in it.

Good to know about the BJCMD - I'll have to test it out in person. Thanks!

stroller queen posted a great review on the valco ion for 2, it looks great, just a little pricy.

Also, shopping carts make spectacular doubles!! I put the car seat in the basket, and the older in the front, not a lot of room for stuff, but it works.

I'll also check out the Ion for 2 review. And good point about the shopping cart - I was also thinking today that I will probably just use the shopping cart a lot of places anyway!

ebjw
01-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Mine will be 19 months apart, and while I am also getting the BJCED, I am going to keep my Vista in the car with the rumble seat and carseat adapter (for Chicco).
I love how we're all in denial about not being able to get out of the house much!

jacksmoma
01-15-2010, 04:59 PM
i get out of the house a lot (twice a day- late morn and late afternoon) but the amount of time i have to BE out is so much shorter- and hour usually, that we don't do big things- just a trip to the market, target, the park or something....not things you need a double at, more of a single to pop out of the car or i LOVE using shopping carts as my double! kids are always so much happier to get in a fun cart then straped in the stroller anyways...actually wish i got to use my bjced more! good idea to keep a single you love in your trunk ready to go...

AnnieW625
01-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Doesn't meet all requirements, but a Mac Twin Techno?

http://www.albeebaby.com/maclaren-2009-twin-techno-double-stroller-black-with-black-frame.html

That's what I would get if my kids were that close in age, it would great for things like the drs. office, mall, etc.

Even though I plan to run errands with only one of my children once I have two I am still planning on keeping my single Maclaren for my toddler, and my baby will be in the Bjorn or Beco carrier for times like the mall. For the dr. DD is much better about holding my hand now and will most likely want to push the baby in stroller, which I will be fine with anywhere but a store or mall.

We also have a Vista, but will most likely get the stroller board instead of the rumble seat for walks to the park, and maybe the drs. office when the baby is really small. I don't think I'll be able to trust my daughter in the mall with just the stroller board at 4; maybe by 5 or 6 though.