PDA

View Full Version : Isn't there an easier way to choose a crib??

taralynn819
01-14-2010, 06:26 PM
After comparing and deciding on strollers and car seats I almost don't have any energy left to deeply research cribs. Is it perfectly fine to just choose a well-rated crib company in my budget range and not stress over all the specifics? It's not like cribs have a million differing features like strollers do. Other than choosing stationary, convertible, and drop-side, and I suppose design. But to me a crib looks like a crib. It just seems to me that the crib choice shouldn't be *that* hard.

As I'd like to stay $350 and below (maaaaybe $400, but that's pushing it), I've been looking at Babi Italia, Bassettbaby, a cheaper Baby Cache, and possibly Graco (or Bonavita in general). We're also thinking of checking out Ikea this weekend to see what their cribs are like. Hubby would like to stay away from pine but it's not a deal breaker for me. It's good as long as it's real wood.

I won't get a drop-side, that's all I know.

I figure since we have about 11 weeks left until Baby arrives we should probably order something soon!

Green22
01-14-2010, 09:18 PM
I think so. I think sometimes we have too much information that we stress out over and make ourselves crazy over. If you're comfortable with what you've looked at so far (I presume the Baby Bargains book) then go for it, I say.

alexmommy
01-14-2010, 09:41 PM
We got a crib from IKEA for about $130. Not a drop-side, but that wasn't important to us. We are planning on moving from crib to twin (possibly crib mattress on the floor in between, not sure) so didn't need the convertible kind. We are happy with it, it was cheap, recommended in Baby Bargains, easy to put together, and we took it home that night. It's not super beautiful, but works for us. And DS doesn't care. Worked for us.

newg
01-14-2010, 10:10 PM
I think it comes down to if you want a convertible crib or not.........after that it's just picking a price range, color and style..........
I wanted DD to have furniture that would grow with her 'till college..so I picked the Bonavita Peyton Lifestyle crib and changing table/dresser in white..........I really like the quality of the furniture; dovetail drawers and such......

The newest BBB only recommends one type of Ikea crib....can't remember the name of it off the top of my head......I think it starts with a G

viba424
01-18-2010, 12:12 AM
There are sooo many choices, thats for sure. If it were me, I would tend to focus my search on finding a crib made from the high quality materials, safe finishes and the fewest moving parts. I like to read reviews online. There are some good looking cribs out there these days...retro and contemporary, if youre looking for something different. I just couldnt get interested in the mainstream looking stuff from BRU, etc.

http://www.giggle.com/p/19873/Jenny-Lind-Style-Crib.aspx?s=1&keyword=crib

http://www.giggle.com/p/25594/Robin-Crib.aspx?s=1&keyword=crib

zany
01-30-2010, 10:56 PM
i'm no expert (and not even a mom yet) but i chose our crib by finding a dresser i liked the looks of that was a low price. (it required assembly)
then i looked at the 2 or 3 cribs that matched the finish of the dresser and picked one by looks. then i double checked the brand had an ok rating in the book for quality and that's that.

i got this crib- i think it's always on sale for about $150.

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?ItemTyp=G&itemID=16ad512&GrpTyp=PRD&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=rockland+crib&RefPage=SearchDepartment.aspx&s4PageSize=15&CmCatId=searchresults&Search1Prod=True

good luck - i changed my mind 80 times and then just ordered because i couldn't take crib shopping anymore! i didn't see it in person before ordering either. but was happy with both pieces now that we have them put together.

crazye
01-30-2010, 11:10 PM
I didn't do much other than having a drop side and convertible. After that it was price, availability, color of wood (I had 2-3 finishes that I liked and a couple that I hated). I ended up with a BassettBaby drop side, convertible which I love. The only beef is that I couldn't find a standard mobile that would fit b/c of the carved sides but everything else is what I wanted and it'll make a nice headboard for a full size bed someday.

arivecchi
01-31-2010, 02:27 PM
I love my Baby's Dream Generation Next Crib. Great quality, converts to a toddler bed and then a full size bed. You can find them in the $300s. Better quality IMO than my more expensive Munire crib. Looks gorgeous and I beleive has an A rating from Baby Bargains. The Ikea cribs get great reviews as well and are not spendy.

WatchingThemGrow
01-31-2010, 09:33 PM
It's funny...I went through that same thought process. We decided we were going to spend our (gift) money on case pieces, like a nice dresser, nightstand (as a side table) etc. We were getting all the pieces from a discount furniture company, and just decided to ask how much the matching crib was. My plan was to save $50 and just get something in a similar finish. DH said he would rather pay the $50 and just order the crib that was sold with the rest of the Young America furniture. So, we did it. It felt SOOOO much better knowing that even though we'd gone a few $ above our budget (up to $350 in the end) we had a crib that was very solid and pretty and looked great with our other stuff. DH was glad he didn't have to spend any more time looking at cribs. It gets old.

wellyes
01-31-2010, 09:40 PM
I didn't stress about it. I got the cheapest crib made of solid wood I could fine.

I didn't buy a set of furniture for the nursery, I already had one dresser in the "natural" wood color so went with that as my theme for everything else - changing table, bookshelf, crib.

My only stress was that the Baby Bargain book went on about how it could take 12 weeks for cribs to come in but I think that's just for higher-end brands (like Pali) bought from furniture stores.

I ordered a Babi Italia from Albee Baby for about $250, it showed up 2 days later, and I've been nothing but happy with it. I'm glad I didn't spend more, and I'm glad I didn't get a convertible since I'll end up using the crib for #2 & moving DD into a toddler bed.

The Ikea cribs get great reviews as well and are not spendy.
Yup. I'm an Ikea fan. BUT I have heard people say that standard crib mattresses do not fit snugly into Ikea cribs. I don't think it's ever been a problem but that would have really stressed me out with a newborn, so we didn't go that route.

Indianamom2
01-31-2010, 11:08 PM
No need to stress. I've bought two different cribs (not by choice, but by recall).

The best advice I can give is to stay away from drop-side cribs, as they seem to be the ones being recalled all the time lately, and may well be banned in coming years to avoid endless recalls.

I can (so far) recommend the Baby Cache line from BRU. Our second crib came from there (we had no choice, since our recall voucher had to be used there) and we chose to pay a little extra for the Baby Cache Heritage crib. It really is beautiful and STURDY. Seriously, that thing isn't going anywhere. We've been using this one for 6+ months and it's really lovely. I went with a convertible this time this baby is likely our last, so I wanted a solid piece of furniture that would hold up at least into the teen years.

You will drive yourself batty trying to research everything...especially once baby gets here! Take a break, find something you like and go with it.

Tmac
02-05-2010, 12:39 PM
I am currently researching and looking at cribs and feel like there is too much information out there. I have friends who have adjustable drop down side cribs and love them since they are on the shorter side, like me. I know that Baby Bargains doesn't really recommend them and if you do buy one to get it from a higher end brand. The only ones I have seen though are the convertible cribs where the whole side comes off and so you can't adjust the height. Any thoughts, feedback on crib brands etc. would be greatly appreciated!

diegosmom
02-05-2010, 09:07 PM
I don't remember what we paid but we got a convertible Pali crib and dresser. We might have spent more but I think in the long run we will spend less. We converted it to a double bed and the style isn't baby so he will pretty much have it until he goes to college. It's really sturdy, good quality with nice dovetails in the drawers.

zag95
02-06-2010, 01:20 PM
We got the Pali denise crib- from a higher end baby store in town. It is a standard drop side drib in white, with a storage drawer underneath- originally we bought a crib from BRU a Jardine, but I couldn't find info on it.... and it made me nervous so we returned it. About a yr ago those Jardine's were recalled! Thank god I listened to mother's intuition!!!

We love our crib- it has wheels to move for cleaning, pulling it out to change, etc. It is awesome!

LoveBeingMrs
02-10-2010, 03:30 PM
I walked into Buy Buy Baby, and picked the Bonavita Classic Crib after seeing it on display. It's sturdy, has wheels with casters, and it converts into a toddler bed (not a full/twin bed). :)

PearlsMom
02-10-2010, 04:42 PM
I walked into Buy Buy Baby, and picked the Bonavita Classic Crib after seeing it on display. It's sturdy, has wheels with casters, and it converts into a toddler bed (not a full/twin bed). :)

:yeahthat: Except I went with the AP Industries Lollipop crib because I'm short and I liked that the crib had very short legs, so I don't have to lift up-and-over too much. I could have stressed about it for many more months, but at the end of the day I think you just go with the first thing that's safe, sturdy, and fits your needs. (Of course, a good deal helps - got mine on Albee Baby for $399 plus 15% off.)