PDA

View Full Version : 2 week trip; what should we prepare before leaving?

ourbabygirl
01-15-2010, 12:36 AM
DH, DD, & I are going out of town for a couple of weeks and I want to make sure I cover my bases to get the house ready. We're taking the cat to be boarded and I'm going to have the mail stopped while we're gone. Also would like to put the lamps in our front side room (visible from the street) on timers instead of leaving them on the whole time we're gone. Do you know if it's possible to do the same with the exterior lights? Also, we have a few plants that I'd like to keep living for the time we're gone... anyone know if that's possible? They're not super high-maintenance plants, but I don't know if they'll survive without being watered for 2 weeks. Has anyone tried something like Aquaglobes to keep the plants watered? The garbage & recycling should be fine when we're gone (gets picked up on Wednesdays), & we may have the neighbor kid snow blow our driveway if needed. Will also empty the garbages & Diaper Champ, though I only put wet diapers in it.

Anything else you can think of that I'm forgetting? :)
Thanks so much for your help!

vonfirmath
01-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Turn a faucet on, dripping, to avoid pipes freezing.

crl
01-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Stick a couple of ice cubes in a ziplock and throw it back in the freezer. This is just in case of a power outage while you are gone. If the cubes are the same shape when you get back, the food is fine. If they've melted, you'll know to get rid of the food.

Catherine

belovedgandp
01-15-2010, 01:11 AM
If we're gone that long in the winter, we turn the heat down the heat in the house, warm enough that stuff won't freeze, but not waste energy heating an empty house.

If you have a neighbor doing exterior, I'd just ask them to water the plants too. We usually leave a garage door opener with the person watching our house so they can put the random package or whatever that shows up inside the house.

TwinFoxes
01-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Stick a couple of ice cubes in a ziplock and throw it back in the freezer. This is just in case of a power outage while you are gone. If the cubes are the same shape when you get back, the food is fine. If they've melted, you'll know to get rid of the food.

Catherine

I always know there's been a power outtage because every single clock in my house is blinking 12:00 at me! :)

I don't know about where you live, but we get TONS of free newspapers. You might want to ask the same kid who's snow blowing for you to stick them in your recycling bin. You might also ask him to keep an eye out for any unexpected packages.

jess_g
01-15-2010, 09:28 AM
The only thing extra that I can think of is snow removal. If it snows while you are gone your sidewalk and front steps will be covered in snow. That might be a giveaway that you are not home if it stays like that for days. Also where we live the town requires that the front steps are cleared for the mailman. Just a thought.

I would love to know how much you are paying to board your cat for 2 weeks. We have a cat and always have someone come into our house to feed the cat and keep him company when we are gone.

Jessica.

hillview
01-15-2010, 09:34 AM
I'd have an adult come by a few times and make sure everything looks fine (mail was stopped, etc).
/hillary

WatchingThemGrow
01-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Check this list http://www.parentingweekly.com/parenting_information/organized_mom/preparing_for_vacation.htm
This page has lots of lists that I use to start my own lists which I keep as a google document. :) http://www.parentingweekly.com/parenting_information/organized_mom/index.htm

ETA: Our police dept. will put a "close patrol" or something like that on your house if you call and tell them all the info. I've been doing it for years, not knowing if they really do it or not. After Christmas, we came back a day early (I forgot to call) and sure enough, they walked around my house and looked inside when they heard us talking.

Dream
01-15-2010, 11:32 AM
I never lowered heating, didn't think of that before. Thank you.

o_mom
01-15-2010, 11:38 AM
I always know there's been a power outtage because every single clock in my house is blinking 12:00 at me! :)

But you wouldn't know how long it was out to tell if you needed to toss any food in the fridge/freezer. That's what the ice-cube test is for. :)

ILoveLucy
01-15-2010, 12:08 PM
I'd turn off the water supply to your washer if you can. Our hose burst the day before we went on vacation last summer, so luckily we were able to catch it before it turned into a horrible situation. Even though we have new steel hoses, I wouldn't leave it on if I was going away for an extended period.