PDA

View Full Version : RSS Feed?

DietCokeLover
01-15-2010, 10:52 AM
I see this in a lot of blogs that says "subscribe to my RSS Feed". What is this?

mommylamb
01-15-2010, 10:56 AM
I know it stands for Real Simple Sindication (or at least I think it does), but I don't really understand how it works. I think it's some way of pulling information from one place to another.

lizzywednesday
01-15-2010, 11:01 AM
RSS feed is kind of like Twitter ... you get daily or weekly mini-updates in plain text from whatever site you subscribed to.

It's useful for sites that are updated frequently, like blogs or news sites.

More info is available here:

http://websearch.about.com/od/rsssocialbookmarks/f/rss.htm

Naranjadia
01-15-2010, 11:56 AM
DCL -

There are basically two ways to use RSS feeds that I know of:

You have a blog or a website where you want to display headlines or stories from another site (or multiple sites) - you can display the "feeds" on your page and it automatically updates.
More common: you use a reader (like Google Reader) - so all the blogs, news sites, and any other feeds that you like to read are in one place. Typically the latest headlines are shown and you can choose to display the introductory paragraphs or not.

There are a number of readers that are online, like Google Reader and Bloglines. There are also standalones that run on your desktop. The iPod Touch has a bunch too - I use Newstand to load my Google Reader.

I like to divide my feeds by topic - so I use Google Reader and I have categories like "Kids - books, music, videos," "Parenting," "Simplifying," "Financial," "Cooking" etc. You can read the feeds by site, category, or have them all jumbled together in one giant "newspaper." Most readers track which entries you have read, and you can bookmark, go to the original website, etc.

Most sites that have content that is updated regularly now have feeds.

DietCokeLover
01-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Thank you. I kept seeing it but had no idea what it was.

I'll check out some of the things that have been mentioned.

roobee
01-15-2010, 12:41 PM
You can also set up a feed for a search on craigslist. Like if you're searching for a Learning Tower - you can add it to your reader to be notified when one is posted.

larig
01-15-2010, 01:57 PM
You can also set up a feed for a search on craigslist. Like if you're searching for a Learning Tower - you can add it to your reader to be notified when one is posted.

hey, how'd you know what I'm subscribed to! ;-) (seriously, that's one of the best things about them.)