PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: quick Q re interview attire

JenaW
01-15-2010, 12:30 PM
I UPDATED in #11 and another attire question

HELP! I have an "interview" in an hour for a professional medical position. None of my interview suits fit. The jackets were all too big and looked sloppy. So I borrowed another suit from a friend last night. I just realized this morning that NONE of my white dress shirts will button over my girls! YIKES! Why did I leave this until the last minute. (Because my life is insane as it is and I am crazy for adding something else to the mix!!!). I am torn about going back to work. I REALLY want to, and I feel like I am reaching the limits of being able to return at all if I don't soon. This job literally fell into my lap . Jobs for me in my field are nearly non existent, and I found this one on Craigslist of all places. I have already had two phone interviews/conversations with the non-physician head of the organization. Now I am meeting face to face with the physician who would be my supervisor if I get the position. We also had a brief phone conversation, but she preferred to meet in person. It seems like the job is mine if I want it, although there are a few details to iron out before I would accept it.

So - do I skip the suit all together and just pair my black suit pants with a dressy off-white or black turtleneck sweater? Do I wear the sweater underneath the suit jacket and leave it unbuttoned? (It is double breasted if that matters). Do I wear a sleeveless shell top under the suit coat? ARGH. Any suggestions??

J

TwinFoxes
01-15-2010, 12:34 PM
I vote shell under suit coat. The turtleneck/pants combo could look a little casual. An unbuttoned double breasted suit looks odd. Good luck!

mommylamb
01-15-2010, 12:35 PM
my vote is for shell type top under the suit coat.

C99
01-15-2010, 12:50 PM
I vote for t-shirt or shell under suit jacket. Double-breasted jackets are going to date you anyway, but they will look weird unbuttoned.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-15-2010, 12:51 PM
I agree a shell would work well!

misshollygolightly
01-15-2010, 12:56 PM
I vote for the shell under the jacket, OR just a nice sweater with dress slacks (and maybe a pearl necklace or other nice piece of jewelry to pull it together). I have a hard time finding suits that fit or look right on me (I'm very petite, so they tend to just sort of hang on me), and I often wear the slacks/sweater combo for professional occasions (academic conferences, interviews). Bottom line: you need to wear something you feel confident in!

arivecchi
01-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Bottom line: you need to wear something you feel confident in!:yeahthat: If you feel more comfortable in a dressy sweater and slacks, go for it. I would dress it up with nice jewelry, scarf, nice shoes and a nice coat or trench coat.

JenaW
01-15-2010, 01:24 PM
In the wr trying not to be too nervous. Found a blouse that works if I don't take the jacket off. Wore my pink tweed trench over the suit to add some color. Feel like I'm dressed for a funeral. Here goes nothing. Putting my phone away to pray and calm my neves thanks for ur advice.

ThreeofUs
01-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Good luck!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Good luck!!!!!!!:cheerleader1:

JenaW
01-15-2010, 03:33 PM
So the mtg with the physician went well. I also met face to face with the President/CEO of the health center I've had two previous telephone interviews with him). I felt a bit overdressed, as he was in jeans and a sweatshirt, having only come in today to write a grant. (The MD was dressier though, and wearing a white coat). Things are progressing, and it seems like I have passed the first round. I just got a phone call to come back in Thurs and meet with the VP, the RN Clinical Director, IT Director, Human Resources Manager, and a few others. She kept stressing it was an "informal" meeting just to have some other people meet and give their opinion of me. I should wear the suit again, right? Does it matter that it is the same one? I guess I could look for another color button down to wear under it. Or since she said it was "informal" can I get away with dressy pants and a sweater? I have no problems dressing up and putting on a lab coat to work, but I never know what the etiquette is in the interview situations. I guess I should probably error on the cautious side and go formal, right? Thanks for your input and your well wishes....they seem to be working so far! I feel good about the prospect. I was a bit worried that some of my conservative morals would clash with their needs (its hard to be a conservative Catholic in the field of Women's Health) but so far they seem ok with what I am comfortable doing and not doing. It's a struggle between making sure the needs of the patients are met without compromising my own morals. Obviously I would never impose my views on a patient, but at the same time I am not willing to jeopardize my soul either.

Anyways....good luck to Belle of the Ball and any others looking for jobs right now. I know it is not an easy climate to be job hunting, but there are SOME out there if you can find the right fit. I guess I am lucky right now to be in a field that still needs people (for the time being).

bubbaray
01-15-2010, 03:41 PM
congrats!

I would wear a suit, probably not the same suit though. Could you wear dress pants and a blazer with a blouse (you'll have time to shop?). I wouldn't wear a sweater to an interview, though I often wear pants suits to interviews. Your field is more casual than mine, though.

AnnieW625
01-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Glad things went well and I'll be thinking about you!

misshollygolightly
01-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Awesome! I'd probably do the dressy pants and sweater rather than the same suit for the next round. It sounds like a slightly less formal setting, and it would save you having to buy a new shirt to wear with the suit you wore today. Though, if you do get the job, maybe you'll have an excuse to buy some new clothes anyway :cheerleader1: Congrats on making it this far!

ThreeofUs
01-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Congratulations!! I'd wear a suit - the meeting may be informal, but they will be judging you and appearance (for better or worse) is a big part of that.

jgenie
01-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Congratulations!! I would wear a suit even if it is an "informal" meeting. Can you borrow another suit or look for one this weekend at a second hand store?

TwinFoxes
01-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Great, congratulations!

congrats!

I would wear a suit, probably not the same suit though. Could you wear dress pants and a blazer with a blouse (you'll have time to shop?). I wouldn't wear a sweater to an interview.

:yeahthat: Or see if you can buy/borrow another suit. Check upscale consignment stores. Good luck with the next round.

hillview
01-15-2010, 08:48 PM
I vote suit too.
/hillary

vludmilla
01-15-2010, 09:11 PM
my vote is for shell type top under the suit coat.

I agree completely. Good luck!

kijip
01-15-2010, 09:56 PM
I think that in your field (you are a PA, right?) the sweater and slacks would have been fine. The suit interview rule does not apply to all professional fields. Some medical jobs would be a suit for the interview but many I don't think it is required and in a community clinic or non-profit it can actually be a hinderance.

MoJo
01-16-2010, 07:34 AM
I've always heard that interview wear should be "one step up" from whatever a person would normally wear to the job they are interviewing for. Don't let the guy in jeans, who wouldn't normally show up to work dressed like that, influence your decision at all. I would treat the word "informal" to be describing the nature of the upcoming meetings, not how you should dress.

I would vote blouse instead of sweater, even if you decide the blazer isn't necessary. I'm a sweater gal and wear them to work, but I think a blouse makes a better impression. And yes, I know that means you need to find one, but it sounds like you were going to need to do that anyway.

BTW, I think women's health needs as many conservative women working in that field as possible! I'm so glad I've found some! Best wishes to you!

kozachka
01-16-2010, 02:33 PM
I'd wear either another suit, or slack with a blouse/dress button-down shirt for the second interview. I would not wear the same outfit. Good luck with your interviews! I am going for a second round on Thursday, and am nervous about it already.

elephantmeg
01-16-2010, 03:13 PM
just wanted to wish you good luck! You've worked so hard for this over the years, I hope it works out for you!