PDA

View Full Version : S/O Google thread

bluestar2
01-15-2010, 12:56 PM
How do they get it?

MontrealMum
01-15-2010, 05:17 PM
You can cut down on some of it by paying to have an unlisted number. But not all. Most of that stuff comes from records which are public...like city directories...which have addresses (sometimes phone #s), names of occupants and their ages and occupations, as well as when you started living at said location. There are other sources too, which are also public. Used to be you had to go down to city hall, or your city's archives to look up that sort of stuff (so, it's always been available), but now it's all online :( In our society, nowadays, it's pretty hard to live under the radar.

bubbaray
01-15-2010, 05:21 PM
In our society, nowadays, it's pretty hard to live under the radar.

:yeahthat:

I really try not to stress about it. Due to the nature of my work (lawyer), I have received death threats. If someone really wanted to find me, its pretty easy to do. I try not to think about it. I mean, short of living in a cave, I don't think its possible to be totally off the grid. For example, I personally know of undercover police officers who have had their unlisted home telephone numbers show up on the internet. It happens. If someone really wants to find you, for a good or bad reason, they will.

JMHO.

wellyes
01-15-2010, 05:50 PM
In our society, nowadays, it's pretty hard to live under the radar.

Or, just opt to not participate in social media (forums, facebook), use online to lurk/reference only and get an unlisted phone number. Then at least the free info about you will be very very limited.

The advantages of having an online life to me far outweigh the negatives. I figure there are millions & millions of people just like me -- some product reviews, a few blog posts, a few forums, photos on a family site, whatever. It just does not register as risky behavior to me. I'm probably facing more personal risks commuting to work every day.

bubbaray
01-15-2010, 05:53 PM
But there have been many many cases where people have had unlisted phone numbers published online. there are many gov't/public registries, DMV, property registries, etc, where if someone really wants to find you, they will. Its not just social media.

TwinFoxes
01-15-2010, 06:38 PM
But there have been many many cases where people have had unlisted phone numbers published online. there are many gov't/public registries, DMV, property registries, etc, where if someone really wants to find you, they will. Its not just social media.

Completely agree. 10 years ago, way pre-facebook a friend was visiting me and needed to get in touch with her FIL who had an unlisted number. I used switchboard.com and she was amazed that I found it super easily.

I'm in the don't stress about it too much camp. I don't have any stalkers that I know of. When I was a journalist no one ever tried to contact me at home over a story, and now that I'm a SAHM I don't know who would be after me.

wellyes
01-15-2010, 06:41 PM
I suppose. But that info was always available, it's just easier/quicker to find now -- just like everything else.

MontrealMum
01-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Or, just opt to not participate in social media (forums, facebook), use online to lurk/reference only and get an unlisted phone number. Then at least the free info about you will be very very limited.

Actually it won't. Having an unlisted number limits info somewhat, but there's still an overwhelming amount out there, free, and not needing a PI to find it :tongue5:

Like I said above, if you own a home, if you rent a home, if you reside in anything but a tent in the woods, your info will be in a city registry/directory. It's publically available online now, but has always been available at your city's archives/library or clerk's office. There is much more info that has nothing to do with having an online life, or even a cc that is freely available - and has been so for years.

That's what people like me use to do our research ;) It's just that I used to have to do everything by hand, or on foot, and now I don't.