PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean your wedding ring?

lcarlson90
01-15-2010, 01:31 PM
I know I can take my ring in to a jeweler and they will clean it but I hate doing it because they always try to sell me crap while I am there. Is there any way to get it really clean at home? I know they sell professional ring cleaners but I am not sure if they are any good. How do you clean your rings?

TIA

JBaxter
01-15-2010, 01:36 PM
toothbrush and windex usually. Sometimes I use dawn and a toothbrush.

codex57
01-15-2010, 01:36 PM
How anal are you? What kind of ring do you have?

To be honest, since DW's ring is just a Tiffany style band with a solitaire stone, we just use some soap and the electric toothbrush. Soap and handwashing would prolly work too for her simple ring.

If you've got melee and intricate settings, I'd prolly get a steam cleaner. Something like the jewel jet.

wimama
01-15-2010, 01:58 PM
I soak it in Mr. Clean or Simply Green and afterward scrub it with a toothbrush.

Moneypenny
01-15-2010, 03:08 PM
I heat up some water, add an equal amount of ammonia, and drop my ring in. I let it sit for a while and then scrub at it with a soft toothbrush.

catpagmo
01-15-2010, 03:48 PM
I soak my ring for a few minutes in jewelry cleaner, and then scrub with a soft toothbrush. It gets fairly clean, but not as clean as when the jeweler does it. I haven't taken it to the jeweler for cleaning for several years.

Drag0nflygirl
01-15-2010, 04:21 PM
I learned this from a lady who worked in a jewlery store. Like PP said, soak it in Mr. Clean and brush with a very soft toothbrush. Then, instead of rinsing it in water, rinse it in alcohol. You'll feel the soapy residue come right off your fingers. Dry with a soft cloth or paper towel. Super shiney!

urquie
01-15-2010, 05:21 PM
toothbrush with no soap or toothpaste - as per the jeweler. i use my sonicare after rinsing it with water.

Laurel
01-15-2010, 05:25 PM
At home I scrub it with a toothbrush.

I like to have them cleaned professionally at least once a year because it comes out much nicer and they check to make sure the stones are secure. Our rings are from Tiffany and they will clean all their stuff for free. I think if you say you are shopping in the store, they might clean non-Tiffany merchandise for you as well. No aggressive sales pushes there either.

vludmilla
01-15-2010, 09:31 PM
old toothbrush and dish soap.

MizMojoLaveau
01-15-2010, 10:41 PM
I use an old toothbrush and toothpaste and rinse with water.

TonFirst
01-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Another vote for the old toothbrush - I find that old toddler toothbrushes are perfect for the job.

arivecchi
01-16-2010, 05:33 PM
I like the Tiffany & Co. cleaning solution. The container is like $10 and lasts a long time. I throw my ring in it (it has a basket so you can pull it out of the solution without dipping your hands) and it comes out really shiny. You can buy it in the CS dept. of one of their stores.

brgnmom
01-16-2010, 08:14 PM
our wedding rings are from Tiffany & Co., and we get our rings cleaned and polished there.