PDA

View Full Version : Is it a bad idea to check a stroller (in a bag) *not* at the gate?

sarahsthreads
01-15-2010, 03:00 PM
We're bringing two strollers to WDW, but we're thinking we really only need one in the airport. (DD1 is five and wants to walk through the airport and carry her own small backpack.)

We have a Mac Triumph and an Inglesina Swift. We have a heavy-ish duty stroller bag (thick duffel material) for the Triumph that we could check it in, but we've only ever gate-checked it. Is it a really, really bad idea to check it with the luggage? We have four tickets and are flying Jet Blue so it wouldn't cost us anything extra - we can each check a bag for free and we're only checking two suitcases. It would be very pleasant to travel through the airports with just the two kids, one stroller and a backpack apiece! I'm just wondering if we'll end up with a stroller or bits and pieces of stroller on the other end...?

Thanks!
Sarah :)

bubbaray
01-15-2010, 03:02 PM
FWIW, I only gate check my strollers. But, I'm kinda anal that way. I use 1 stroller in the airport and have the 2nd folded up and stacked on top of the other one (with car seats and carryons). Its definitely doable. *I* do all the carryons/strollers/car seats when we fly, DH wrangles the kids.

sweetsoul99
01-15-2010, 03:12 PM
I'd contact the airline and see if they will be held responsible for any damage done to the stroller. Also consider bringing just one and renting one when you get to WDW. This is what my in-laws did, and the kiddo's were actually arguing who got to ride in the "new" stroller.

AnnieW625
01-15-2010, 03:16 PM
I've only ever gate checked my strollers too. I have put our carseats through at the ticket counter before and never had a problem, but still prefer to gate check.

sarahsthreads
01-16-2010, 10:27 AM
OK, so it sounds like gate check is the way to go! DH does like the idea of carrying the second stroller folded up in the bag instead of having it out and rolling, so that's probably how we'll do it.

Thanks, all!

Sarah :)