PDA

View Full Version : How do you serve dinner?

WatchingThemGrow
01-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Just wondering what the norm is in terms of procedures, time, etc. We usually eat together, shortly after DH gets home around 5:15. I usually just make the plates on the counter, then bring them over (not what Ellyn Satter recommends) because I don't want to dirty serving bowls too. DD is helping to set the table, but I just wish the whole experience was more peaceful and enjoyable. We do have dinner conversation, but things can quickly turn downhill b/c of the ages of our DC.

wellyes
01-15-2010, 05:52 PM
We generally fill plates directly from cooking vessels. I'd LOVE to be one of those families with a big spread of serving bowls, a bread basket etc at every meal but I'm not nearly that organized.

GaPeach_in_Ca
01-15-2010, 05:54 PM
We eat whenever dinner is ready. Usually DH makes dinner after he gets home, so it is often around 7. I prefer to eat around 6:30, but what can you do. :)

We generally will dish out the initial portion from the kitchen and then refil as needed from the kitchen. Some meals, we dish out the entire meal at once as there is only enough for all of us (no leftovers). Other times, whatever we're having is easily able to put on the table and then we do that.

My kids do not have to finish their plates, but my DH likes the 5 year old to eat a reasonable amount. Generally said 5 year old would rather not eat dinner and instead eat something else, but having him take so many bites seems to work for us. Often he will find out he likes something that he wasn't sure about.

20 month old eats whatever we eat as well. I let him down when he says he wants to get down rather than have him cranky and at the table. He generally will sit for most of our dinners, though.

We do talk at dinner. Sometimes we go over homework or flash cards for my older son.

AnnieW625
01-15-2010, 05:55 PM
I don't get home from work/daycare until around 5:00 or 5:30 and most nights I have to cook dinner. Well on a good night I am happy if we eat by 6:30, sometimes it's even nicer if I can get dinner for myself and DD by 6:00 if I don't have to start from scratch. DH goes to the gym in the evening so he doesn't get home until 6:45 or 7:00 so he eats when he gets home.

DD is going through this horrible phase where she doesn't want to eat at the table (my first trimester killed eating at the table for us because all I'd want to do was veg on the couch as soon as I got home) so we are really doing our best to make her feel included and right now her job is to set the table in order to get her to sit at the table more.

I always serve dinner from the pot to the plate.

marie
01-15-2010, 05:58 PM
we usually eat between 5:30 and 6pm. Over the summer, we started to serve "family style" at DH's request. I hated (and still do!) the idea of dirtying more dishes but it has definitely cut down on the number of times the adults get up from the table during the meal. We also have little glass pitchers - one of milk, one of water - on the table.

One of our dinnertime challenges (and I can't even imagine dinnertime with 3 kids!) is that I am the world's fastest eater and DD1 is the world's slowest. I'm itching to get up and clean up, etc. and there she sits talking, falling off her chair, making jokes with her sister. ugh.

i also find that there is really only so much small talk that I want to have with my kids at that hour. :bag (note to self - serve wine with dinner more frequently :D)

Pennylane
01-15-2010, 06:18 PM
If my DH is home, we all eat together at our smaller kitchen table around 6. I make plates for everyone. I try to keep everyone at the table until we all are done, it is a great time to catch up on our day!

If DH is out of town, the kids usually eat at the bar and I always stand up!

Ann

mommylamb
01-15-2010, 06:24 PM
DH and I both get home from work at about 6 pm, so by the time we change out of our work clothes and have a second to talk it's about 6:15-6:30. DH cooks almost every night. I try to assess weather DS is hungry enough to merit eating soon after we get home or if he can wait until DH and I eat, which is usually around 7:15-7:30. DS tends to do his big meal at lunch at daycare anyway, so he's often fine to wait until we eat. If he isn't, then he gets a sandwich, leftovers, or something out of the freezer that I can pop in the microwave.

We tend to eat at our kitchen table, rather than our dining room table unless we have guests, so we serve up our plates and bring them over to the table. We try to minimize dishes as much as possible. It's always a crazy rush in the evenings.

jenmcadams
01-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Where's that hiding under a paper bag smiley when you need it...

We rarely eat together as a family. My kids eat between 5:00 - 6:00 (normally closer to 5:00) and they're both in bed, lights out by 7:15. I keep hoping they'll be able to stay up later, but they both (and in particular my DD) just need a lot of sleep. My DH gets home b/t 6:00 - 6:30 most nights and hangs out, plays games, reads and helps with showers and bedtime. As far as how we serve dinner, generally the kids eat at the table and I pre-serve their food. Every once in a while, I let them eat on TV Trays as a treat.

My DH and I eat around 7:30 or 7:45 after the kids are in bed and do take-out 1/2 the time and I cook the other 1/2 the time (either the same thing the kids ate or I cook something different while he does bedtime). Some day, my kids will be able to make it until 8PM and we might have a chance at meals together, but for now those are mainly on the weekends.

jillc
01-15-2010, 06:59 PM
We eat around 6pm, or closer to 5:30 on the nights that DH gets home early. (Earlier dinner means earlier bedtime for kiddos, which is helpful to all of us. All day kindergarten makes DD very tired and cranky in the evenings!) We all sit at the table together and serve food family style, from big bowls on the table. That's how both my family and DH's family did dinner when we were growing up, too. I read a couple of Ellyn Satter's books, and found her reasoning for family style sit down dinners compelling as well, so we're sticking to it. No TV during dinner, which makes DH grumble sometimes, but it is a big deal to me, so I stick to my guns. Often, we play music. I cook and DH does the dishes, which I love. He helps with preparing dinner if his schedule permits. I always make things that will give us enough leftovers for at least one more meal, so that I'm not spending lots of time in the kitchen every evening. I'd rather take the kids to the park until right before dinner and then reheat leftovers for a quick meal. :) I do have the kids help to set and clear the table. We don't do the "no thank you" bite, and sometimes I do wish my kids would taste more veggies, etc., but the battles just aren't worth it, IMO.

Fun thread!

belovedgandp
01-15-2010, 07:04 PM
I too can't bear the idea of more dishes. I typically prep the plates and DH or DS takes them to the table. Of course neither my 6 YO or 2 YO eats anything at a more than a slightly elevated temperature, so their plates are made up and cooling while I do the last minute stuff.

The one thing I hate is the up and down, but we are eating at the table in the kitchen. I like the idea of smaller pitchers because more milk or water is the one thing my older son can't do on his own.

I am also guilty of letting the kids start earlier. They know the meal is coming and can go crazy that last 10 minutes. I start them with veggies or fruit at the table and kind of add things around them until DH and I sit down. They are both really slow eaters, so we all still finish about the same time.

Asianmommy
01-15-2010, 07:06 PM
We eat dinner at 6 pm. DH joins us whenever he gets home. We eat family style. I give out small portions of each food, and encourage them to finish everything on their plates before asking for seconds. This helps to make sure that the veggies get eaten. It's still a struggle sometimes.

hillview
01-15-2010, 07:39 PM
I'd estimate 4-5 times a week kids eat solo. An adult sits with them during the meal. When we eat together (2-3 times a week) there is something served in a bowl for self serve. The rest of the time I start small and add if they are still hungry. We try to start with veggies.
/hillary

catroddick
01-15-2010, 08:45 PM
We eat together, and have had DD sit with us since she was big enough to hang out in her slightly reclined highchair (3-4 months?).

We serve family style. TV is not allowed on, other then the rare, rare exception (really good football game). Music is generally on.

Over the past year, DH is the one who has pushed to use the dining room more. At least 5 nights a week we're in the dining room.

Last night was DD's first spaghetti. THAT was NOT in the (carpeted) dining room.

jgenie
01-15-2010, 10:58 PM
DS & I eat at the kitchen table around 5:30. I serve from the stovetop. DH usually eats after DS goes to bed at 7:30.

alexsmommy
01-16-2010, 08:10 AM
On nights the boys eat solo, I dish out their plates directly from the serving dishes. On family dinner nights I use serving bowls - though I still essentially dish their plates for them, but depending on what it is, DS1 is starting to serve himself a bit.
I grew up with family dinner every night, complete with serving dishes etc so it's sort of ingrained in me to do that if we all sit down. Usually it's only 2-3 extra bowls - main dish, side dish if needed and salad.

boolady
01-16-2010, 09:09 AM
About 50% of the time, just DD's eating or she's just eating with one of us, because we're never home before 5:40 or so, and we just have to get her dinner. Then, DH and I will make our dinner after she goes to bed (not optimal I know), eat, and she will eat leftovers from that the next day or eat something quick we have just made.

On the other 3/4 nights, depending on the week, we all eat together, and we do serve the food "family style" on the table; however, it's usually modified. If I want to bring the food over so that we don't have to keep getting up/so that DH and I can serve ourselves at the table, it's usually not transferred to serving bowls-- I just bring the pots over.

nfowife
01-16-2010, 09:13 AM
My children eat at around 5:15. They go to be in bed by 7 and then DH and I eat together. I look forward to having family meals at some point in the near future but for now, my kids need to be asleep by 7 and DH doesn't get home much before that (if he gets home before then at all!). Usually I give the kids our leftovers for their dinner the next day.

egoldber
01-16-2010, 09:16 AM
When DH is not traveling, I get home from work between 4 and 4:30, do a quick dinner prep with DH, and he finishes while I pick the kids up and get them home between 5 and 5:30. We eat between 5:30 and 6:00. We prefer to plate the food directly vs putting in a serving bowl. I grew up with serving bowls and so did DH, so I'm honestly not sure how or when we started doing it this way. We eat at our kitchen table. If the kids are ravenous, I generally let them start early.

If DH is out of town, the kids and I eat at the island and I will admit to standing and eating while they sit. But generally I've just spent over an hour in the car, so sitting to eat is not so appealing. And I had to do all the prep and serving myself, so it's a pretty harried time.

vludmilla
01-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Since reading Ellyn Satter and noticing a HUGE improvement in DD's eating behavior after I made some changes I am committed to eating dinner the way she recommends. We put the food on the table in some sort of serving plate, sometimes it is just the pot/pan it was cooked in, other times it is a bowl. I try to use a pyrex bowl so that I can just put the top on it later for storing the leftovers. It helps DD eat so much more. She just won't eat nearly as much if I put the food on her plate.

egoldber
01-16-2010, 09:34 AM
She just won't eat nearly as much if I put the food on her plate.

Interesting. You just reminded me of why I stopped doing the serving bowls. I found that it was contributing to *me* overeating. I have issues with portion control and if the serving bowl was in front of me, I would take seconds. But if I pre-portioned things out and just ate what was on my plate, then I wouldn't want more. But having the food on the table, for me, contributes to mindless eating.

crazye
01-16-2010, 09:35 AM
We typically make plates and leave the rest in pots in the kitchen but thusfar we haven't had issues with DD not eating. But I do like the idea of putting everything into Pyrex as one suggested as then it's easiest to pop into the fridge for leftovers and then I can get any crusty pans soaking in the sink while we're eating. Just haven't made it that far in transitioning yet as I recently switched from WOTH to SAHM so slowly making changes as we go along. DH is home by 4:15 and we eat at 6PM (mainly due to DD's bedtime). DH eats crazy fast and I'm the one always cutting up meat, fruit, etc., for DD so a lot of times he'll have to do her vitamins, get her cleaned up, etc., so that I can eat more than 2 bites in a row without being interrupted. Works well for now but we'll see once we have 2 kids on solid foods (DD#2 is coming mid-March so by fall she'll be on purees most likely)

o_mom
01-16-2010, 09:38 AM
We used to just fill plates at the stove. Lately we have been moving toward having stuff on the table if possible. We were getting frustrated with filling the kids' plates, getting our and by the time we got ourselves to the table the kids are asking for seconds, we have to get up, etc.

We sometimes do serving dishes, but usually it is just the cooking pots set on a hotpad or the meat on a dinner plate that isn't making more clean-up. We also have a pitcher of water on the table for the same reason. Sometimes there are things that this doesn't work for and then we fill the plates and try to fend them off until we have our plates ready.

mecawa
01-16-2010, 09:42 AM
The girls and I eat dinner around 530. I make up the plates and bring them to the table. My husband eats when he gets home which is around 8pm. I wish we could all eat together but DD1 is in bed at 8 and DD2 is in bed at 7. We should really move closer to the city.

DD1 helps set the table, dinner at our house is usually a little chaotic, because of the one year old and my VERY picky 6 year old.

gobadgers
01-16-2010, 10:15 AM
DH gets home 5:00 - 5:30. We usually goof off for 15-20 minutes while he plays with the kids. Then DH feeds DS while I am finishing up (or starting) dinner and setting the table.

We eat in the kitchen eating area because we don't have dining room furniture yet, but I use serving bowls. Perhaps to make up for the fact that we don't have dining room furniture :wink2:

I think I'm going to start serving on our plates instead - for portion control for both DH and me.

SnuggleBuggles
01-16-2010, 10:21 AM
We eat around 6:30. I wish this were earlier but that is when dh gets home from work. I have complained that it is too late for the kids but he still hasn't adjusted his schedule (which he could easily do).

Ds1 puts placemats out and will do more if asked.

Food gets served in the kitchen and brought out to the table (also have no desire to dirty serving bowls). Doesn't seem to be an issue, imo.

Conversation and meal time goes well provided everyone stays at the table. As soon as ds1 leaves, ds2 wants to leave even if he is obviously hungry. That's gotten better as we have been more strict about making everyone stay put.

Everyone is supposed to take heir things to the kitchen but participation is severely lacking at the moment. :( I often have to round people back up to help. Is the table clearing fairy expected to show up? I think they think so!

Beth

kransden
01-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Ok all of you that don't use serving bowls - I have a question.
When you microwave frozen veggies or canned veggies what do you microwave them in? Except for soup, we almost always use serving bowls. It is part of my "dish" issues. I also must have matching silverware too :).

KpbS
01-17-2010, 12:17 AM
My children eat at around 5:15. They go to be in bed by 7 and then DH and I eat together. I look forward to having family meals at some point in the near future but for now, my kids need to be asleep by 7

This is exactly how we do it. My kids have lots of food allergies. I make almost all of their food all of the time (ie they eat almost nothing pre-made b/c of allergy complications) and so I cook for them in bulk most of the time and cook their veggies/prep their fruits as needed.

DH and I eat after they are in bed b/c of the early bedtime and it gives us a chance to spend some time alone or with local family in town that might be joining us (or cooking for us!) that night.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-17-2010, 12:52 AM
I don't know about anyone else but I microwave veg's in either a cereal bowl or gladware. I know,i know plastics in the micro. bad. don't say it. applesauce-the jar is on the table.

KpbS
01-17-2010, 12:58 AM
Ok all of you that don't use serving bowls - I have a question.
When you microwave frozen veggies or canned veggies what do you microwave them in? Except for soup, we almost always use serving bowls. It is part of my "dish" issues. I also must have matching silverware too :).

I use pyrex mixing bowls (mine are blue) or clear pyrex storage containers (glass bowls) if it is just us.

sarahsthreads
01-17-2010, 01:11 AM
We all eat together, usually around 6, 6:30. Our kitchen table is *tiny*, so most of the time the food is on the stove/counters and we make plates from there. I do hate having to get up so many times to refill kids' plates and cups, though.

Maybe I'll try putting things in serving (or pyrex storage) dishes on the table this week and see if we can't make that work...

Sarah :)

SnuggleBuggles
01-17-2010, 01:13 AM
I don't microwave much at all. Canned or frozen veggies get prepared on the stove. If I were to microwave I would use pyrex or our stoneware.

Beth

mommylamb
01-17-2010, 07:41 AM
I don't microwave frozen veggies. We rarely eat veggies that aren't fresh other than peas or occationally greenbeans, and we probably have those a handful of times a year. When we do we steam them. And, we never eat canned veggies. We eat canned beans (like black beans, not green beans) from time to time, but other than that, no cans.

tnrnchick74
01-17-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm a horrible Mom when it comes to this!

On the weekends I tend to cook more and pre-freeze dinners for the rest of the week. I just pop them in the microwave or toaster oven and then they are ready.

But...the high chair won't fit under the kitchen table & I feel stupid eating there by myself. So :bag: I tend to eat at the couch, and DS eats in his high chair in the living room...and a DVR recording of Tigger is usually on :bag:

Fri nights are crazy because we go straight from work/daycare (where DS gets to eat dinner if I pick him up after 5:00) to Temple. By the time we get home DS is in massive melt-down mode, so I generally get fast food for him. Then its bath/bedtime when we get home.

Also, due to DS's food allergies, there are many of my "fave" foods that I can't eat in front of him...so I eat dinner after he goes to bed many times.

lchang25000
01-17-2010, 10:01 AM
I usually start cooking around 5-5:30pm and eat around 6:30pm when DH gets home. The diff. dishes are brought out to the dinner table and we help ourselves from there. We rarely eat canned or frozen veggies...they are always cooked fresh.

kijip
01-17-2010, 12:29 PM
T sets the table and then we put the food on the table. Some of the "serving" plates are actually just the pyrex or casserole plates the food was cooked in, set on the table with a trivet beneath. I don't find it to be more dishes, because after not having a dishwasher ever, getting one 2 and 1/2 years ago when we moved in, seems way easy and it's just 1-3 more things (ie a salad bowl, a plate with fruit, small bowl of veggies or potatoes etc). T helps load the dishes to the dishwasher too.