PDA

View Full Version : fomula and flouride

crl
01-15-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm confused about what to do. The baby bargains book suggests using powdered formula because of cost. (And that's what I used with DS.) But I'm seeing some concerns about the amount of flouride babies get from the water used to mix the formula. We're adopting and the baby will be exclusively formula fed, so I'm thinking it's important to get this right.

So, do people use flouride free bottled water? (And if so, where do you get it?) Or ready to feed and just suck up the extra cost? Or is the flouride issue not really a big deal?

Thanks!
Catherine

Sweetum
01-15-2010, 09:24 PM
While I cannot comment on the concerns of fluoride, I can tell you that our water doesn't have fluoride. So, from 6 months when they *need* fluoride, we're actually having the ped prescribed vitamins with fluoride. So, I would say, first check with your water company to be sure what the fluoride content is. And to mix the formula, we just used filtered water.

crl
01-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the tip. I checked the water supplier's website and our water has fluoride.

Catherine

DrSally
01-15-2010, 11:33 PM
I've heard that too. If you use flouridated water for exclusively FF babies, they maybe getting too much flouride. PP is correct that not all city water if flouridated, but most is. Another alternative is to get a reverse osmosis filter--it's the only kind that I know of that filters out flouride. You'll also make sure your tap water is free of contaminants. While most city water is OK, there can be spikes in contaminants from time to time.

crl
01-16-2010, 02:36 AM
Thanks! The reverse osmosis filters are installed below sink, more or less permanently, is that right? We're renting so can't really alter the plumbing. Hmm. I wonder how the cost compares for ready to feed vs powdered with non fluoride bottled water.

Catherine

MoJo
01-16-2010, 07:48 AM
I think there's lots of bottled water for under $1/gallon, including specially marketed "nursery water," so I'm guessing powdered would still be cheaper.

My only advice would be don't stock up on any one type of formula, because most kids I've known have been particular about their formula and you could end up throwing a lot out. I don't know if the formula companies give out free samples to adoptive moms, but I think they should! (They do give them to birthmoms). That could be something to look into, too.

crl
01-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks!

Catherine

DrSally
01-17-2010, 12:08 AM
I think there's lots of bottled water for under $1/gallon, including specially marketed "nursery water," so I'm guessing powdered would still be cheaper.

My only advice would be don't stock up on any one type of formula, because most kids I've known have been particular about their formula and you could end up throwing a lot out. I don't know if the formula companies give out free samples to adoptive moms, but I think they should! (They do give them to birthmoms). That could be something to look into, too.

That's true. I think RTF is so expensive. Some grocer stores even have a dispenser, so you can bring in your bottle and fill it up for very cheaply. Just make sure it's the right kind of water for your needs. ITA, too, about not stocking up on formula until you know what your baby likes. See if you can sign up on the formula maker's websites for samples. If they ask for a due date, you can just put the date of your DC's arrival...

crl
01-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks! So now I think I'll obsess about BPA in the water containers. I'll have to look at the water dispensing machines at the grocery stores around here. If they have water without fluoride, then I guess I can figure out a container with no BPA and I'll be more or less set.

Catherine