PDA

View Full Version : Book into movie ~ what's your fave?

billysmommy
01-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Alot of times when a book I love is turned into a movie, I'm pretty disappointed in the result. Either they left too much out, changed things around, casting didn't fit, etc. For that reason I usually try to stay away from movies that are based on books I've read and love but I bet there are some that are pretty good. What book into movie combo is your favorite?

My favorite is The Shining. The book is amazing and I think the movie brought it to life wonderfully. I loved Jack Nicholson in it even though it gave me nightmares :)

katydid1971
01-15-2010, 07:05 PM
I don't know if this is what you are asking but Wizzard of Oz is a MUCH better movie that book, they did make changes. A movie I thought was well done was Persuasion based on the Jane Austen novel, the one from 1995, not the one they had on Masterpiece Theater a couple years ago. They did make one kinds big change and a few smaller changes but overall very well done. I love the settings and seeing the places for real becuase I haven't been to many of the places mentioned in her books (but plan to someday) and it helps the imagination when I reread her books.

LBW
01-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Hmmm. Probably The English Patient.

AnnieW625
01-15-2010, 07:13 PM
A Time to Kill

The Buccaneers (this was a PBS mini series from Masterpiece Theater in the mid to late 90s)

Little Women

Anne of Green Gables

The Notebook is an honorable mention as I swear they changed the ending in the movie.

elektra
01-15-2010, 07:21 PM
I think the Harry Potter movies were all really well done and stayed close to the books.
I also love The Shawshank Redemption but I have never actually read the book. The movie is great though!

Melaine
01-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Favorite is probably Anne of Green Gables. Followed by Pride & Prejudice (BBC) and Little Women.
Awesome movies whose books I haven't read: The Scarlet Pimpernel, LOTR Trilogy (HOW have I not read those yet), and It's a Wonderful Life.
And I really thought New Moon was an excellent translation of the book, but Twilight not so much.
Books way better than their movies: Confessions of a Shopaholic and the Bridget Jones' books.

citymama
01-15-2010, 08:17 PM
I agree with the first 2 - Shining and Wizard of Oz. Also Gone with the Wind.

The English Patient was a beautiful movie but an oh-so-much more beautiful book. The sheer poetry of the book never made it to the screen. If you haven't read it, please do!

I loved the Name of the Rose (another case where the book is so outstanding that no movie could do it justice, but it was a terrific movie).

High Fidelity would be on the list. Many more but can't seem to remember them right now!

Happy 2B mommy
01-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Movies: Gone with the Wind, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Shawshank Redemption

Miniseries Anne of Green Gables and Pride and Prejudice

fivi2
01-15-2010, 08:47 PM
The Princess Bride

A Room with a View

I like the LotR movies on their own for the visuals, but I would not say I prefer them to the books. Same with the first 3 Harry Potters - I thought the movies went downhill after that.

I will be back to add more!

elizabethkott
01-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Sense and Sensibility. Love, love, LOVE it!!!

billysmommy
01-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Also Gone with the Wind.

I can't believe I forgot Gone with the Wind!!! I love both the book and movie

newnana
01-15-2010, 10:02 PM
The Right Stuff (plus I'm in mad love with Ed Harris)

Band of Brothers. Not a movie, but an HBO miniseries. Hands down the most accurate translation of book to screen I've ever seen and fabulous story to boot.

I know there are others I'm not thinking of.

Great thread.

amandabea
01-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Agree with many of those named above and will add The Cider House Rules. The book was better, but the movie was a wonderful adaptation.

mom_hanna
01-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Presumed Innocent. Thought both the book and movie were great!

ourbabygirl
01-15-2010, 11:42 PM
O.k., so I recently saw "My Sister's Keeper" (yeah, complete tear-jerker), and I've heard from many friends that the book is 1000 times better. Is it worth still reading the book, in your opinion? Or will the movie have ruined it now?

KrystalS
01-15-2010, 11:45 PM
O.k., so I recently saw "My Sister's Keeper" (yeah, complete tear-jerker), and I've heard from many friends that the book is 1000 times better. Is it worth still reading the book, in your opinion? Or will the movie have ruined it now?

IMO the book is so much better. The characters are developed a lot more. There's an entire storyline with the brother they didn't put in the movie.

mom2binsd
01-15-2010, 11:50 PM

NO Spoilers below...

I think it might...I just finished it and I never saw the ending coming, it would really change how I felt about the story if I already knew what was coming (not saying specifics as to not spoil for those who haven't read or seen it)

american_mama
01-15-2010, 11:59 PM
As I recall, "One True Thing" was better as a movie than a book. Both are good, but the book .............. spoiler alert.........
the book goes on at great length after the mom dies of cancer into a mercy killing theme. The section has some merit, but was mostly a distraction and turned the book in a very different direction. The movie cut that out and played out the imporant elements between father and daughter in a few days instead of years.

And to the person who mentioned "Band of Brothers," that and "Glee" became my holiday break addictions. DH and I talk about World War II several times a week now, and I had a dream a few nights ago about Captain Winters.

buddyleebaby
01-16-2010, 12:13 AM

They changed/excluded quite a bit in the movie. I would definitely read the book.

randomkid
01-16-2010, 03:20 AM
The Lord of the Rings series. This was a while back and never would have thought to see this movies on my own, but I ended up watching them with my stepdaughters. I actually found myself interested in them and watched all three. Then, I tried to read one of the books. I couldn't even make it past the first few pages.

Globetrotter
01-16-2010, 03:27 AM
The Namesake - both the book and movie were excellent!

boolady
01-16-2010, 09:12 AM
To Kill a Mockingbird, hands down. I also agree that The Cider House Rules was a great adaptation.

Sheila
01-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Brokeback Mountain, for sure.

The movie is amazing. After seeing it, I really wanted to read the short story it was based on. The movie was just so much better, much more developed I thought than the original story.

Usually it's the other way around - there is so much more to the book than the movie. I guess because it was a short story, they ended up having to add some stuff to the screenplay?

Another movie that I thought was so well done was The Prince of Tides. I did read the book after, and they had changed//left out some important stuff in the movie, but still, I thought the movie really did it justice. It is such a wonderful movie!!

Sheila
________
Dispensaries (http://dispensaries.org/)