PDA

View Full Version : Safety 1st Avenue RF installation tips

twowhat?
01-16-2010, 05:04 PM
OK, so I scored an Avenue on clearance at Sears for 39.99!!! DOM is 12/08 but that's OK since we'd likely get nicer seats once we turn our twins FF anyway. But for now, yay. If it works I'll get another from overstock.com - $68.99.

So I have a couple of questions - we are going to install 2 Avenues outboard in our Subaru Forester. I took the seat out to the car just to put it in and eyeball things.

First - if I install as upright as 30 degrees, can I just eyeball it and it would still be safe? BTW it turns out we probably still would need to move the driver's seat up (ugh) but will hopefully be able to find a comfortable and safe driving position.

Second - what about the big gap underneath the seat (at the vehicle seat bight)? Is that space supposed to be filled with rolled up towels or pool noodles? If so, how do I decide how many I need? Do you actually compress the seat down on the towels/noodles? And if you use multiple towels or noodles do you tape them together? The instruction manual mentions NOTHING about how to use noodles or towels! And where the heck do you get noodles in the dead of winter anyway? And what if I can get a nice tight installation without using noodles or towels? Is it OK that there's that gap under the seat?

I asked this on car-seat.org too but sometimes it seems like Jools likes to spend more time here with us:)

o_mom
01-16-2010, 06:01 PM
You can use noodles, tightly rolled towels or the fancy leveler they sell at BRU (which is actually pretty nice and has three different positions for various levels of recline, but if money is an issue, use noodles - try a pool store, though Target had swimsuits and rashguards today)

Use up to three, though one or two is probably OK for that seat. You can tape them together to make it easier. Just press mostly straight down or into the back of the seat when you are installing and not as much down on the noodles.

Eyeball is OK on the angle - you can fold a square of paper in half to get 45 degrees and just make it a bit more upright than that.

When you go to install, peel the cover back from the arm so you can pull the tail of the belt through the arm of the seat. That usually gets a better angle for tightening. If you are using the seatbelt, you may have to twist the female belt stalk in that car to get it shorter. You can twist up to three full turns.

Good Luck! Post back with any problems. :)

Joolsplus2
01-16-2010, 06:24 PM
:ROTFLMAO:
I'm such a big fish in such a small pond here, and when I see O_mom has beat me to it, I can rest assured it's been answered well, too.

This is the same shaped seat, their install videos might put into living color what she described above... http://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Air-Protect
:thumbsup: