PDA

View Full Version : Graco Myride - Successful Latch Installation/Tips!

Jenng
01-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Buying a convertible car seat to fit my car has been a rollercoaster ride of frustration! I have spent so many hours, researching, buying etc, to just get something to install rock solid into my car!!! Wow... you would think this would be easy with an SUV?! I drive an Acura RDX btw...

So I went to BRU today to grab the Myride, and they are selling the Deco pattern for $129 til Monday. Add the 20% coupon and it comes in at $100 or so, not bad at all. I tried the demo at the store and it fit in the center of my backseat perfectly WITH the seats all the way back as well. Which amazed me because everyone has been saying this car seat is a beast. I tend to think it is just bulkier than most seats, but not by any means as large as everyone told me it was.

So I had to post my success here because I have had trouble with two other seats: The Radian XT SL fit in the center only, and was very tippy as soon as my son sat in it (look at my other threads to read about it if you like). It also took an hour to install and I seriously hurt myself while trying to tighten the belts, ugh, what a nightmare. By the time I was done I still questioned how good it fit, so I decided to return it. Amazing quality though and strong, so I think it's just my seats are too angled for that type of car seat. Next I tried the Evenflo Symphony 65... this was strange... the seat itself is nice quality and not too bad, "but" for $199? I think people can do better with either an older Radian model or Britax seat for better quality. Just seemed like a high price for what you got type thing... In my car, the base of the Evenflo seat, hung off my backseat, in the center position. In the outboard spots, your drivers/passenger seats had to definitely be in the upright positions for it to fit. So in other words, it just doesn't fit as well as the Radian and Myride in my car. Now other people, it might work fantastic, but not in my car...Also the latch connectors ratchet to get them tight, by pushing on the seat base only. There is no strap to pull to tighten in the Evenflo, you have to push the seat and listen for the clicks as it "tightens itself". So because of that, I could never get a tight fit, AND there was a huge gap so I definitely needed a towel under there and thought, "how safe is a rolled up towel under my car seat?" Huh? So, out went the Evenflo Symphony...

Now, here comes the Myride install... The Deco is a cute pattern, I don't mind the dots... It's gender neutral and can be for a boy or a girl. It fits with my Taupe interior perfectly and hopefully the cover won't fall off either, lol. I installed it with Latch first and here is the issue. They don't give you a lot of slack to tighten the latch belt once they are clicked in. You are left with like 8 inches of belt to use to tighten your installation. So here is my trick... I did this with the Radian too. Instead of pulling up on your belt to tighten the Myride with Latch... thread that belt piece back through the bottom belt path to the other side... go around your car and pull that little piece in as far as you can, leave it in the lower belt path...then take the tether strap that is hooked on the back of the seat (for FFacing only) and thread the end of that through the loop at the end of the latch belt (the one sitting in the path already). Now you have created a kind of "U" in order to pull the latch belt as tight as you need to from the opposite side of the car seat using the Tether belt. I even used my foot to brace myself and pulled really hard to get a super tight install this way. It really is all about leverage... you can do this with the Radian as well, but with them, you don't need extra belt length, there is plenty there already to thread through back through the belt path. Sounds confusing but really it is simple. You are just pulling the Latch belt in another direction to get better leverage and to get a super tight fit.

So don't give up if you can't get the Myride tight with their Latch install...I tried this trick and it worked fantastic. You just need more belt length to get the right amount of force to tighten it. And if you don't have it, use my tip...Route it through the seat to the opposite side, loop some kind of a belt on it to get more length, and pull hard! lol

The seat is perfect! And my son fits great in it too, all for around $100!
Now, I will post later when I get my super deal from Albee Baby on Monday... I ordered the Cranberry True Fit Premier!!! Woo hoo! If this Myride fit, do you think the TFP will too? We are keeping this Graco regardless, atleast for my Husband's car assuming the TFP fits in mine... Now we have two car seats for the price of one Radian XT SL, lol. Have to be budget conscious these days, yet I want my son safe and comfortable!!!

Ok, Yo Gabba Gabba get's annoying... As I am typing this I keep hearing "I like bugs, I like bugs....I like bugs" LMAO What the heck are these guys on who write this show?! Who writes the music too?! Eee gads... I have to say I love the Backyardigans, because atleast their music sounds good, lol.

Ok, hope this post helped you guys out!
:waving4:

KrisM
01-16-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm glad you got a seat that installs well!

Joolsplus2
01-16-2010, 09:48 PM
That does seem a unique use of the tether strap, but I'm not entirely sure I'd recommend it, since that seems like a lot of force on that top tether---it should hold, but in some seats there's a rip-stitch tether that you can actually tear out with arm strength...go with the belt/strap/etc if you really need some extra length to pull ;) (less than one inch of movement at the belt path front to back or side to side, pulling with your non-dominant hand). Pulling the latch strap backwards through the belt path is a great way to get the angle you need to tighten, though :thumbsup: (get the strap as short as possible before hooking the LATCH in, too, it'll take some weight on the seat to get the hooks on the anchors, but there'll be less need for tugging to get the slack out :))
:)

arivecchi
01-16-2010, 10:38 PM
I agree with Julie. I would not jimmy-rig a car seat in any way that is not approved by the manual. You have no idea what the forces of a crash will do to a non-authorized install. I've always been able to get a rock solid install with just the LATCH bars or seatbelt as recommended by the manuals. :) Like Julie said, as long as your seat does not move more than 1 inch at the belt path and the seat is properly installed, you're good. :) I'd post pics of your install here or at car-seat.org so a tech can look at your install.

Jenng
01-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Hi Guys,

I agree with you all, probably not the "perfect" way to tighten the strap and I'll leave it to the experts to recommend doing it the right way :) Come to think of it, now I hope my seat is alright! Ok, off to watch District 9, I heard it was confusing but good... Thanks again for the feedback girls! I'll post when I get the TFP!

KrisM
01-16-2010, 11:12 PM
I tried searching without luck. But, what exactly is "rip stitch" on the tether. My thought was it is stitching in 1 particular spot, not all along the length of the tether. If that's right, then she's likely just fine. It sounds like she's just using it for leverage. It's not changing how it is installed in the end. She could achieve the same leveraging by using a short rope through the LATCH loop to pull on instead of the tether. But, the tether is being pulled at one end and in the middle. The part near where it connects to the seat (which is where I imagine the rip-stitch to be) would still be slack.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, because I really don't know what rip-stitch is exactly.

Jenng
01-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Hi "KrisM", that's exactly what I thought... I pulled the rubber band off the tether belt so I had plenty to use, plenty of slack, etc. And it didn't put any force on the tether belt in odd places etc. I really just used it to pull the other belt through. I figured the tether would be the strongest material to use since it's tensile strength is so high. Well, curious to hear about the rip stitch too! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Joolsplus2
01-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Hey, you just never know when they'll update a design, since people are already ripping out their Britaxes, what happens if they make up a whole new tether fabric some day, and we're all going around using tethers to tighten our LATCH and it turns out to be a problem? Ok, yeah, I'm thinking way too far ahead :wink2: But also all I've ever heard is that the MR is super easy to install with LATCH, so I'm confused it took so much effort....
:love-retry:

KrisM
01-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Hey, you just never know when they'll update a design, since people are already ripping out their Britaxes, what happens if they make up a whole new tether fabric some day, and we're all going around using tethers to tighten our LATCH and it turns out to be a problem? Ok, yeah, I'm thinking way too far ahead :wink2: But also all I've ever heard is that the MR is super easy to install with LATCH, so I'm confused it took so much effort....
:love-retry:

Sure, but I just want to be sure *her* tether is fine and that she didn't damage it. If I were Jenng, I'd use a short rope or something if I needed to next time.

Jenng
01-17-2010, 03:09 PM
I agree you guys, I should not use the tether for pulling! :wink2: And I am having problems with every seat I try.... Its my darn seats, they are angled and extremely cushy, plus there are sensors everywhere... so getting something snug is ridiculous. I have to pull so hard, even with the seat belt installs! I am trying the TruefitPrem. tomorrow... I think the Myride has to get returned anyway because it does not fit in my husbands car at all/A4. I really appreciate everyone's viewpoints because this whole thing has been exhausting. Thanks ladies :bighand:

Joolsplus2
01-17-2010, 04:02 PM
My fingers are totally crossed the TFP works, I was really amazed at how well it worked in my cars with the seatbelt...it'll be all loose, you think it's a failure, then you clamp the lockoff and voila, rock solid. There's a lot of room for a kiddo to spread out in that seat compared to the MR, too. :)

KrisM
01-17-2010, 05:36 PM
I agree you guys, I should not use the tether for pulling! :wink2: And I am having problems with every seat I try.... Its my darn seats, they are angled and extremely cushy, plus there are sensors everywhere... so getting something snug is ridiculous. I have to pull so hard, even with the seat belt installs! I am trying the TruefitPrem. tomorrow... I think the Myride has to get returned anyway because it does not fit in my husbands car at all/A4. I really appreciate everyone's viewpoints because this whole thing has been exhausting. Thanks ladies :bighand:

Do you have to only get 1 seat? Can you get a different seat for your car/his car? Because if you can get something good in your car, I'd say keep it :).

o_mom
01-17-2010, 07:03 PM
On the MyRide, in particular, you shouldn't need anything to pull the LATCH strap with. If you peel back the cover by the cupholder, you will have easy access to the beltpatch and can pull it directly. The Radian, has a closed path, though, so I see why you would do that. However, I have to agree with Julie that it is best not use the tether. Also, I found the Radian 'tail' to be pretty long so I could actually get it all the way through and pull it by hand.

Jenng
01-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Hi Julie and Kris!

I am definitely getting two seats! I am waiting for the TrueFit Premier to get here, prob. by tomorrow or Tues. If that works in my Acura, then I want that over the GracoMR! Then I need to get a seat for my DH's Audi... ugh! It's a tight fit in his car, so do you girls think a Britax Marathon might work? Or maybe the Combi Cocorro? However you spell it, lol

lorinick
01-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi Julie and Kris!

I am definitely getting two seats! I am waiting for the TrueFit Premier to get here, prob. by tomorrow or Tues. If that works in my Acura, then I want that over the GracoMR! Then I need to get a seat for my DH's Audi... ugh! It's a tight fit in his car, so do you girls think a Britax Marathon might work? Or maybe the Combi Cocorro? However you spell it, lol

I think the MA will work great in the Acura. The MA worked in dh small Honda rf.

Jenng
01-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Good to know! I don't know why I just didn't stick with Britax to being with... I think because my Boulevard I got on sale at BRU had a broken click safe button.
When I returned it they were sending it back to the MFR, I just didn't have time to deal with it all. But people love the Marathon, so prob. a great alternative! Thanks!

AnnieW625
01-18-2010, 10:22 PM
I agree with Julie. I would not jimmy-rig a car seat in any way that is not approved by the manual. You have no idea what the forces of a crash will do to a non-authorized install. I've always been able to get a rock solid install with just the LATCH bars or seatbelt as recommended by the manuals. :) Like Julie said, as long as your seat does not move more than 1 inch at the belt path and the seat is properly installed, you're good. :) I'd post pics of your install here or at car-seat.org so a tech can look at your install.

My DH over engineered our Britax when we moved DD ffing. I think he had it tethered, belted, and latched or something. It wasn't buy the book. Our CHP friend corrected him and told him it was best to use one or the other plus the top tether.

If you are still having issues with the seats I'd definitely talk to a CPS tech in person so they can advise you on the install in person.

Also FWIW, my DD didn't care for her Marathon at all, and never complained about her Evenflo Triumph 5. She's always been a big car seat sleeper so I think that's why she liked the little extra pillows. Good luck with the True Fit!

Jenng
01-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks AnnieW625! I want my little guy comfortable and the funny thing is... the minute I put him the Evenflo Symphony 65, he cried, go figure?! He loved the Boulevard, started kicking his feet like wow, this is comfy! He liked the Graco MR too, until the pillow insert came out, hmmm... I think the kids do tell us what they like/dislike at such an early age. I had picked the Boulevard over the Marathon too because it looked so much more plush, so who knows what I will end up with. We only take long car rides out to my Mom & Dad's in Pennsylvania, so other than that its short trips to the store. I'm anxiously waiting for my TFP! I'll post pics when I get it installed, if it works that is ;) And yes, I need a local car seat Tech too... I am done trying to figure this out on my own...lol. Although you all have been so helpful! :waving4:

AnnieW625
01-18-2010, 11:31 PM
I can't wait to see your TFP pics too since you are putting it in a smallish car (although not nearly as small as our Corolla!)

Jenng
01-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Yeah my car is surprisingly small?! I kept thinking it was big, but the bigger the family gets, the smaller the car gets, lol. My lease is up soon too, and I am looking at something more spacious and more affordable. One of the girls at BRU who was helping me with a demo car seat said she loves her GMC Acadia. Said its more spacious than the Mazda CX9 inside... But I will definitey take pics because who knows, I might have my latch connectors upside down again! :eek:

arivecchi
01-19-2010, 12:50 PM
You could also try the regular Boulevard. I loved that seat and sometimes wish I had not sold it. Super comfy for the kiddos and so easy to install. Both of my kids loved it. The Truefit looks super nice to though.... Whatever you do, post pics and have a local tech check your install! :)