PDA

View Full Version : Car Seat Rec. for 1 year old

DaisyJ
01-16-2010, 10:32 PM
DH and I bought a Graco Sungride 32 for our daughter, she is currently 9 months old 27 inches tall and 20 pounds. What that means is she will probably be able to stay in the infant seat until she is 1. Does that mean she doesn't need a convertible seat and we can just get a forward facing one? I can't find any clear cut answers on this.

What is your recommendations for her next car seat?

tia

DaisyJ

jjordan
01-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Legally you can turn her forward facing when she is at least 1 year old and at least 20 pounds.

However... children up to the age of 2 are 5x less likely to suffer serious injury in a crash if she is rearfacing! (In fact rearfacing is still safer after the age of 2, but studies haven't been done to find an exact amount like the above-quoted "5 times.")

Pretty much anyone you ask on this board will recommend that you replace the snugride with a convertible seat and keep it rearfacing as long as possible. What kind of car do you drive and how much do you want to spend? That can make a difference in what recommendations would be best for you.

If I were buying a convertible seat today I'd buy a Radian XTSL. However there are many other good choices as well. :)

Joolsplus2
01-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Yup, a convertible is your next seat up, and you can shop around for one until her head is one inch from the top of the SR32 or she reaches 32 pounds (my own kiddo fit in that seat till she was 19 months, 33 inches, and 23 pounds).
Going forward facing at one is very outdated information, but it's still mentioned everywhere. Certainly it's safer than turning a kid before one! But for optimal safety and greatest protection from head, neck, and even leg injuries, rearfacing to at least age 2 is now recommended, and all the larger convertibles can easily do that (and then last till age 5 or so harnessed, so your next investments will really last you!).
I have to run to breakfast, but there are lots of good convertibles, someone will hopefully list a few more for you to research :)

KrisM
01-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Yep, a convertible is the way to go!

The Radian is great and last a long time rear-facing. Other great seats are the Britax Marathon/Boulevard, the Graco My Ride. There are others that I can never remember the name of too :).