PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with stroller hunting!!

Green22
01-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Ugh. I plan on buying an infant car seat and wouldn't mind using that in a stroller, but I don't want a stroller system.

The idea of spending 150 (car seat) + 50 (base) + 60 (Snap and go) and THEN buying another car seat and base and stroller - its too much!! If I can shave out the snap and go stroller bit, I'd love to. But as much as I'd love to get something really hot like an Uppababy Vista or a Bugaboo type stroller, we just can't afford it.

Can anyone give me recs for a stroller that I can stick the infant seat in for a while (Or, that lies flat so I can stroll with the infant in the early summer), that is lightweight and easy to fold up, a decent ride/sturdines, and isn't too expensive? I cannot see that we could spend more than 200-300 on the stroller.

I'm not sure why I'm having such trouble finding a stroller - I think I've done too much research on "what's-the-best" crib sheet, crib, car seats . . . Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I've looked through some of the threads and I don't even know enough to know which strollers we are talking about sometimes!

Thanks!

salsah
01-17-2010, 03:16 AM
relax, all you need is a new approach. ditch the travel system idea and skip the snap and go. post in the car seat forum for help choosing a car seat -- that decision should be completely seperate from your stroller decision. (even if you want to put the car seat in the stroller, most strollers will take most car seats.)
there are many strollers with list prices w/in your price range. with help from the parents here, you can get a more expensive stroller for less.
based on what you said you need (reclines fully, light weight, easy to fold, under $300), take a look at the baby jogger city mini, peg perego p3, peg perego si (not sure this one reclines enough for a newborn), and inglesina zippy for starters. (i'm sure there are others but i'm really sleepy right now so that is all that is coming to mind.)
other things to consider: will you be using the stroller mostly indoors or on smooth surfaces or do you plan to use it outdors on uneven surfaces or thru snow? do you use public transportation? the more you can tell us about your lifestyle (how you expect you will use the stroller) the better we can guide you.

westgre
01-17-2010, 10:35 AM
My Zippy has served me well. I got it when DD was around 6 months old, so about 6.5 years ago. It's still going strong. I could fit both the Snugride and KeyFit30 infant seats in it. It's about 17 pounds, folds super easy. I've taken it on planes, to Disney, pretty much everywhere. IMO, it's a great all around stroller.
The only thing I don't like about my Zippy is it is a little difficult to steer one handed. If that is a huge concern for you, I would look at the Maclaren Quest.

legaleagle
01-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Another thing to consider is picking up a snap n go on CL (or see if any friends can lend you one). They're usually around $25 (at least around here) and you can resell for the same amount when you're done. I definitely agree with PP though, don't get a travel system - the strollers generally suck for the amount of money you're paying.

Dr C
01-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Our graco Quattro that we got with our travel system STINKS and barely made it through one kid. Even at it's best it's heavy and it's only redeemable feature was the gi-normous basket. Agree--pick up Snap N Go on CL, find a friend to lend you one for 6 months, or skip it all-together.
For a light, easy fold stroller that can do everything, I LOVE my Baby Jogger City Classic. They are being discontinued (WHY????) so you can usually get one for $220-$240 without looking that hard. You can get the carseat adaptor bar, but I wouldn't bother.
Good luck!

jacksmoma
01-17-2010, 11:59 AM
CRAIGSLIST!!! if you really want a bugaboo for a lot less (usually around $350 used) look there! Otherwise a baby jogger city mini is great and the hot stroller right now :)

SnuggleBuggles
01-17-2010, 12:14 PM
You could skip the infant seat and just get a convertible + a great stroller from the start. Just an option to consider.

Beth

lareigna
01-17-2010, 12:26 PM
CRAIGSLIST!!! if you really want a bugaboo for a lot less (usually around $350 used) look there! Otherwise a baby jogger city mini is great and the hot stroller right now :)

:yeahthat:
CL and ebay will be your best friend if you are trying to get a higher end stroller for a decent price. You might also consider building a Bug in pieces so you don't have to pay for the whole thing in one shot even though it can be a pain. Lots of people on CL and Ebay sell Bug chassis and seat units, etc.] Also, albeebaby.com always has really good stroller sales and sometimes an additional 10% off, so you might want to check them out. You can use those 20% Bed Bath and Beyond coupons at Buy Buy Baby (Bugaboo is excluded)

Also, evaluate your need for a second carseat base. When you buy an infant seat it comes with one base already. I ended buying an extra one when my dd was born but since she rarely goes in my hubby's car,( I pick and drop off from daycare, and when we go out we take my car) it's not inconvenient to belt the seat in. It's actually been sitting in the box untouched. Will your dc go to daycare? If so, will dad be picking her up?

I don't know where you live, but in my area All Children's Hospital will give you a brand new Graco Snugride with the base, as long as you pay $10 to attend a car seat safety class and then pay $20 for the seat. That's how I got mine.

I totally understand where you are coming from, new kid on the way..... new mommy, nesting....freaking out......on a budget.....your eyes are bigger than your wallet....... take it from me, worry about the carseat, it is the most important baby item. Worry about the extra base and the wheels later until you evaluate your needs based on what our lifestyle will be with the baby.

bigpassport
01-17-2010, 12:29 PM
I agree with PP's on the Snap 'N Go from Craigslist. I got mine for $20 and it was in great condition. I got a Graco Snugride 32 carseat which came with a base for $130. So it was $150 to get DS a good carseat and have a stroller for the DS's first several months. That gave me time to figure out what I really needed in terms of a nice stroller. DS is 7 months now and I just got a Baby Jogger City Mini (BJCM) for $195 shipped. Love it so far. If you want to skip the Snap 'N Go, you could get the carseat adapter bar for the BJCM instead.

PeppyParents
01-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Ugh. I plan on buying an infant car seat and wouldn't mind using that in a stroller, but I don't want a stroller system.

The idea of spending 150 (car seat) + 50 (base) + 60 (Snap and go) and THEN buying another car seat and base and stroller - its too much!! If I can shave out the snap and go stroller bit, I'd love to. But as much as I'd love to get something really hot like an Uppababy Vista or a Bugaboo type stroller, we just can't afford it.

Can anyone give me recs for a stroller that I can stick the infant seat in for a while (Or, that lies flat so I can stroll with the infant in the early summer), that is lightweight and easy to fold up, a decent ride/sturdines, and isn't too expensive? I cannot see that we could spend more than 200-300 on the stroller.

I'm not sure why I'm having such trouble finding a stroller - I think I've done too much research on "what's-the-best" crib sheet, crib, car seats . . . Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I've looked through some of the threads and I don't even know enough to know which strollers we are talking about sometimes!

Thanks!

Hi,

It's tough to really pinpoint a best answer without knowing much more about your daily life, but a few thoughts come to mind on easy folding, lightish weight strollers that would be compatible with an infant seat (each stroller may vary on which infant seats, and some of the infant seat adapters are a separate purchase).

These would all be $350 or less:

Baby Jogger City Mini
Maclaren Techno XLR
Cybex Callisto
Peg Perego Si

All of them are practical enough to use instead of a Snap N Go, and would be nicer to push.

Hope that helps!

arivecchi
01-17-2010, 05:03 PM
You could skip the infant seat and just get a convertible + a great stroller from the start. Just an option to consider.

Beth:yeahthat: My recs would be a nice convertible car seat (skip the infant car seat) like a Myride, a Truefit or a Radian and a nice stroller like a Mac Techno or a Baby Jogger City Mini. If you need a stroller that will work on rough terrain, you will need air tires. For an AT stroller, check out the Baby Jogger City Classic which is being discontinued and can be found at great prices. I think Albee Baby also has the Baby Jogger City Elite on sale.

jacksmoma
01-17-2010, 05:15 PM
i agree- snap n go or get an adaptor that works with your stroller. i have one on my bj city mini and love the combo- still using it at 8 months old (for shopping at least!) if you'll be doing lots of outside walking, get bigger air tires, if not, the mini would be great...hth :)

GraceH
01-18-2010, 12:30 AM
I really like the Graco SnugRide35 (http://www.albeebaby.com/graco-snugride-35-infant-car-seat-1761417-flint.html)(~$150, average outgrowth 16-18mo, easily installed base, lasted us to age 2 which was a lifesaver through two Chicago winters) + Graco Mosaic stroller (http://www.albeebaby.com/graco-mosaic-stroller-mickey-mouse-in-the-house.html)(~$110, compact umbrella fold that leaves room for other things in my trunk, smaller footprint that can navigate clothing racks at Kohls, takes SR35 seat so no need for a snap&go, is still my only stoller)
The base is really easy to transfer from vehicle to vehicle, plus the seat can be installed without a base... unless baby is riding in both vehicles regularly, I would rethink the need for a second base.

sweetsoul99
01-18-2010, 04:58 AM
Having the infant car seat was a life saver for us because we were in and out of the car a lot.

I highly recommend a two stroller system. A good all-terrain stroller for walks/outdoor use. The Bob rev and Baby Jogger City Elite are frequently recommended. Then start with a snap n go for the car, then switch to an umbrella when you don't need the infant car seat anymore.

Or, just start with the snap n go until you can further assess your stroller needs, if this is your first, it's virtually impossible to predict what life will be like after the baby is born!

For a one stroller do it all I'd like to throw a shout out to my old Graco Metrolite. It may be a "travel" system, but it was only 17 lbs, fairly easy to fold, compact (for a multi-use stroller), 8 inch wheels which go over almost anything. If Graco isn't your thing. The BJCM sounds like a good option for you.

Don't most car seats come with the first base included?

Andi98989
01-18-2010, 07:19 AM
I really like the Graco SnugRide35 (http://www.albeebaby.com/graco-snugride-35-infant-car-seat-1761417-flint.html)(~$150, average outgrowth 16-18mo, easily installed base, lasted us to age 2 which was a lifesaver through two Chicago winters) + Graco Mosaic stroller (http://www.albeebaby.com/graco-mosaic-stroller-mickey-mouse-in-the-house.html)(~$110, compact umbrella fold that leaves room for other things in my trunk, smaller footprint that can navigate clothing racks at Kohls, takes SR35 seat so no need for a snap&go, is still my only stoller)
The base is really easy to transfer from vehicle to vehicle, plus the seat can be installed without a base... unless baby is riding in both vehicles regularly, I would rethink the need for a second base.

This is what we did, except we have a SnugRider 32. It has worked really well. I love the Mosaic stroller, and I waited to buy it until I could get it with a 20% off any stroller coupon. I used a 20% off any car seat coupon with my car seat, and waited until there was a 20% off any baby item one to use for the extra base (DS is regularly in both vehicles, so we wanted 2 bases). I was also able to use $5 off $25 purchase coupons. Spreading out the costs into multiple purchases helped, too.

GraceH
01-18-2010, 11:39 PM
This is what we did, except we have a SnugRider 32. It has worked really well. I love the Mosaic stroller, and I waited to buy it until I could get it with a 20% off any stroller coupon. I used a 20% off any car seat coupon with my car seat, and waited until there was a 20% off any baby item one to use for the extra base (DS is regularly in both vehicles, so we wanted 2 bases). I was also able to use $5 off $25 purchase coupons. Spreading out the costs into multiple purchases helped, too.

Ah, good point, the SafeSeat, SnugRide32, and the SnugRide35 are different generations of the same size with slightly different weight limits (not a big deal, since a seat will likely be outgrown by height -- obviously since my DS was born in '07, I had the SafeSeat variety)... SafeSeats are available for as low as $99 at albeeBaby.com (http://www.albeebaby.com/graco-infant-safeseat-step-1-8a15nct-nectar.html), which is a great option for the budget if you don't need a newer date for future children.

Tondi G
01-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Check out the Peg Perego P3. We had an older Pliko and then upgraded to a P3 when #2 came along since we liked our Pliko so much! You can pop an infant seat in it, it folds compact (great if you don't have a ton of space in the car), steers pretty well, has a wonderful hood for sun protection, the seat reclines flat enough for a newborn if you choose not to use your infant seat. I have used my strollers indoors and out (sure it's not great on a hiking trail or through grass... you need air tires for that). It handles the broken sidewalks just fine in our neighborhood. We've used ours to death and when I've given them a good scrub ... used a little detergent and oxiclean and the hose. Every time it comes out looking like new! Highly recommend the P3!

http://www.albeebaby.com/peg-perego-p3-strollers.html

fairy8i8
01-22-2010, 05:57 PM
I love my Baby Jogger City Mini. The seat folds down flat, and was great when my DS was a newborn, especially with the FULL sunshade. You can buy a carseat attachment, which will run you extra, but another post here talked about getting a deal on the City Mini thru diapers.com by having them price match albeebaby's sale price, and then getting an additional 10% off for a first time buyer. It was about $175 for the stroller.

I agree with previous posters that carseat choice should be separate, and just about any you decide on will fit a good stroller that has a carseat attachment (most in your price range offer this option at least as an addon). I like my Graco Snugride. Call me paranoid, but if you are familiar with Consumer Report's messup of their carseat reviews a year or two ago, you would know that only Graco and another European brand passed the test. Most carseats are engineered to pass a 35mph front impact collision. CR decided to do side impact tests, which ended up being 70mph in combined vector forces instead of the 35 mph test they thought they were doing. It's a highly unlikely crash- like someone ramming into the side of you on the highway, but IMO if Graco Snugride passed it, then I want my child in a Snugride. Since the fiasco, Britax and other brands have also significantly improved their side impact protection.

audys
01-23-2010, 12:52 AM
Hi, I agree with previous posters. The Peg Perego P3 can take a stroller, folds umbrella and is not too expensive on sale. Our stroller for Disney. The MacLauren XLR also takes a car seat.

We currently use 3 strollers - MacLauren Quest (My FAV, FAV, can use when baby > 6 mths old) for the car, mall, errands, etc; a Mountain Buggy (3 wheel all-terrain) and the P3.

Happy shopping!

Green22
01-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Thank you all soooo much!! Sorry for the late response. I ended up just forcing myself to not think of strollers for a little bit. But now that I'm less freaked I will check out all the strollers that have been rec'd and jump from there. p3 and baby jogger seem to jump out as having tons of fans.

I'm not sure if it is just where I live, but I see nada on craigstlist. I saw a snap and go stroller for 50 DOLLARS!! Come on!! I wonder if has to do with what seems to be a current baby boom and high demand for used baby goods??

Also, because I'm an idiot, I didn't realize the car seat came with a base. I am hoping I will be able to get away with just one. Currently I am out of work. I am hoping I can get back into work 3-4 months after the baby is born and at that point we might need a 2nd base but not right now. $50 saved! :bighand:

I thought about the all-purpose car seat but I think the infant seat will work better for us. We're renting in an apartment so we will be carrying her from the car, up the stairs, into the apt (at which point I'm sure I'll be carrying her back downstairs while I take the dog out, and then back up), so I think having something I can lug might be a good choice. But I will also think about the 2 stroller system, thanks for the words of wisdom!

salsah
01-29-2010, 01:17 AM
I thought about the all-purpose car seat but I think the infant seat will work better for us. We're renting in an apartment so we will be carrying her from the car, up the stairs, into the apt (at which point I'm sure I'll be carrying her back downstairs while I take the dog out, and then back up), so I think having something I can lug might be a good choice. But I will also think about the 2 stroller system, thanks for the words of wisdom!

now i think you need to research carriers! infant seats are heavy even without the baby in them. i couldn't carry my baby in the infant seat up and down stairs regularly. and you'll likely be carrying something else too. a good carrier will make it much easier to get the baby up and down with your hands free to handle other things.
just a thought . . .

goldenpig
01-29-2010, 02:49 AM
Based on your posts I would suggest a Graco infant seat (we had a Snugride but now I think they make ones that go to 35 lb) plus the Peg Si. The 2010 has a belly bar and infant carseat straps, so you can skip buying an extra Snap and Go. The Si stands upright when folded which is great for limited spaces like apartments. And while it isn't THE lightest umbrella stroller, it's only 16 lb, lighter than the BJ and P3, and has a lot of great features for its weight/size. That way you only need one stroller. I got my Si for about $200 (posted about it on the bargain forum). And if you have extra money I would consider a baby carrier like the Ergo with an heart to heart infant insert, rather than getting two strollers. I agree with PP that baby in carrier is much easier to climb stairs with than lugging the infant in the carseat. That way you also have your hands free to carry groceries, purse/diaper bag, etc.

ladybugla
01-30-2010, 02:14 PM
We have a Chicco KeyFit30, and love it. My Snap'n'go is one of my favorite baby things, and was well worth the money we spent, since I can pop the car seat in and out really quickly, and away we go. My baby really likes riding in it, too. Now that she's a bit older, I do put her in the other stroller if we're going to be at the mall for awhile or something, but you could probably go six months with a snap n go being your only stroller. Our other stroller is a Chicco Liteway, which cost maybe $100 - $120 or so. It reclines for newborns, so if you want just one stroller, that would work, too. I've been really happy with both strollers, and neither cost a fortune.

sunshine873
01-30-2010, 03:20 PM
I have the Chicco Keyfit 30. I had a snap & go. HATED it. The steering was awful. I recently bought a Peg Si & have been very happy with it. It has straps to attach the infant car seat (which work well with the Chicco that I have.) It steers like a dream, no matter how much I have it loaded down. The fold is easy and I like that it stands when folded too.

I understand what people are saying about lugging the car seat up and down stairs. But...I have 13 stairs up into my house from the driveway and carry the infant car seat all the time. I think it would be even more of a hassle to put DD in a carrier just to transport her to the carseat (just my opinion.)

Also, I think you'll be able to get by with one base, just fine. I know both the Graco and the Chicco (other models too, I just don't know which ones) can be used without the base. The seat belt just routes through the carseat itself. It's usually a pretty easy install. That's what I do when DH has to take her somewhere for a short trip or when we're going somewhere in a friend's car.

Green22
02-10-2010, 10:33 AM
I agree with previous posters that carseat choice should be separate, and just about any you decide on will fit a good stroller that has a carseat attachment (most in your price range offer this option at least as an addon). I like my Graco Snugride. Call me paranoid, but if you are familiar with Consumer Report's messup of their carseat reviews a year or two ago, you would know that only Graco and another European brand passed the test. Most carseats are engineered to pass a 35mph front impact collision. CR decided to do side impact tests, which ended up being 70mph in combined vector forces instead of the 35 mph test they thought they were doing. It's a highly unlikely crash- like someone ramming into the side of you on the highway, but IMO if Graco Snugride passed it, then I want my child in a Snugride. Since the fiasco, Britax and other brands have also significantly improved their side impact protection.

I'm not familiar with this fiasco . . . does this explain the recommendations for the Graco seats over the Chicco seats?

We got a one month subscription to CR and in the under 22 lbs, the Chicco keyfit had excellent and very good marks and the Graco Snugride had very good and good marks. Not too big a difference. But in the over 22 lbs category, the Chicco was still the highest rated and the Snugride was in good and one "fair" (For fit to vehicle latch) marks. The prices are almost identical. I know that a big part of safety is whether you can get the car seat in the car properly . . .

Not trying to stir up anxiety or worry or anything, I guess I'm just wondering why the snugride is selected so much more (it seems) - maybe this is why. Personally, I don't live and breathe by Consumer Reports, because I've seen things recommended that I wasn't a fan of, and things that I know to be fantastic that weren't recommended.

arivecchi
02-10-2010, 10:43 AM
CR car seat ratings are a joke. Totally unreliable. You are better off getting car seat advice from the techs here or the techs over at car-seat.org. Both the Keyfit and the Snugride are fine.

Joolsplus2
02-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Yes, please ignore the long-retracted failed consumer reports article, just come visit the carseat board, we have the most up to date info. :)

Green22
02-10-2010, 12:16 PM
I just found the "new post" button and read the car seat thread going on about the same subject. LOL. Thanks all!

michellerw
02-11-2010, 12:35 PM
I just bought the 2010 Pliko P3 from albeebaby with their 15% off sale. I think it came to $280, which was the best deal I'd seen since I started watching the stroller months ago.

Our Britax Companion infant seat fits in it perfectly without an adapter strap. I called and talked to Peg Perego and, at this point, they are unsure whether they will be doing adapters for the non-Peg infant seats this year, but I'm not sure it's a huge deal since our seat is a snug fit in the stroller. Of course, you can also just lie baby flat in the stroller as well.

I bought the stroller at the recommendation of a friend who has used the heck out of her 2006 (was in fact originally going to buy hers from her) and it's super nice. In the Spring, DH and I will probably buy a Baby Jogger something (I'm looking at the BJCE) for AT outings.